Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » surround sound issue with D-cinema

Author Topic: surround sound issue with D-cinema
Robert LaValley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2008 10:41 PM      Profile for Robert LaValley   Email Robert LaValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting a crackling noise coming from random surround chanels during a DLP presentation of Appaloosa. It sounds like rice crispies basically. not very loud pops and crackles, but its there just the same. Any ideas? Dolby show player, show store, and cp650 is the equipment. It's not like I can run film-gaurd and make it all ok again.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-06-2008 10:59 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blown speaker(s)?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-06-2008 11:07 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like you have a bad surround amp or you may be clipping the surround amp channels. Reduce the fader a bit and see if the breakups persist. If they do at the reduced fader setting then I'd suspect amplifier problems.

Hope this helps....
Mark

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2008 11:57 AM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Post Deleted

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2008 06:25 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Slightly off topic but my main 'complaint' about Appolosa is that customers complain about the volume being low/difficult to hear.

We're using DTS audio, and I've found I have to run that film almost 2 or 3 points higher than normal to keep the customers happy.

The DTS XD-10 is feeding a CP-65. I don't know by how many db's each number on the CP-65 dial increreases the level, but if I ran any other print at that level in the past the sound would be blasting and EVERYONE would be asking to have it turned down.

I think this has something to do with the sound track mix, and is not the fault of the equipment.

The CP-65 was refurbished by Dolby and re-calibrated less than 6 months ago and all the speakers and the main amps were replaced as part of an overall upgrade in that auditorium less than a year ago. A quick sound level check by me with test signals and a test meter confirm that everything seems to be working within specs.

I'll have to see/hear what happens when I put another feature in that auditorium next week.

(Or I could try moving Appolosa to another auditorium and see if the low volume complaints follow the print)

Robert LaValley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2008 03:54 PM      Profile for Robert LaValley   Email Robert LaValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I swapped digital prints and put Nick and Nora in my "problem" theatre and apaloosa in another theatre. Turns out when I did this, the sound problem went away in the problem aud and did NOT follow the movie to the other aud.

gotta love computers. [Roll Eyes]

Update to this:

I found out from dolby that there is a software upgrade that should help with this and their engineers are working on a software upgrade for the cp-650 since this problem has surfaced in a few other places that run DO-RE-Mi players instead of the dolby showplayers like I have.

[ 11-17-2008, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Robert LaValley ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: