Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Can a digital 3D movie be played in 2D? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Can a digital 3D movie be played in 2D?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-06-2008 02:17 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See the title for my question.

I'm envisioning having "2-D" shows at the end of the week, for those legions who would just rather not bother with 3D for whatever reason. Is it possible?

|  IP: Logged

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2008 02:25 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I recall correctly, no. They use separate files, and while the hard drive may contain the file for the 2D version, chances are they are not going to give you the license file for both, at least not without such substantial remuneration as to make it implausible for you.

Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2008 03:15 PM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some movie distributors have been known to supply a theater with both a 3D digital version on HDD, and a 35mm (2D) film print as well in case the 3D system breaks down or they want to move it to another screen.

But no, you can't simply play the 3D version in 2D. Not only is it technically difficult, but it would probably get you into trouble with the movie studio as well, since you weren't licensed to play it in 2D.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-06-2008 03:46 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some theaters are provided a 2D virtual print for a movie in digital 3D for purposes of moving the show into a smaller theater if they don't have any other 3D equipped screens to accommodate it.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-06-2008 03:51 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could try putting a circular polarized filter in front of the projector on the porthole. That would block one of the eyes. Although you may end up with slight ghosting in some scenes where there's high contrast, but maybe the ghost busting would take care of that... I wonder how that would look...?

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2008 04:37 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Galen is correct - 2D and 3D digital prints are separate files. Currently 3D digital "prints" are 48fps and alternate between eyes, the result being 24fps per eye; but the current 3D file is also timed for lower onscreen luminance so projecting 1 eye's information may not be ideal, there could also be issues with the ghost busting information on each eye.

Theoretically the server could be in 3D mode (48fps) and the projector simply configured to accept only the image from one HD-SDI input (for 3D each HD-SDI input carries only 1 eye's information) . . . . . . . I wonder if that would work . . . . .

Some of the discussions I've heard on 3D is how production will work - i.e. do they create a completely separate 3D copy or simply use 1 eye as the reference 2D version . . . . . .

So far we have booked both 2D and 3D versions to provide our patrons the choice(except for Fly Me to the Moon). We have also been required to play the entire run in 3D - i.e. we could not drop a 3D booking down to a 2D in order to move it to a smaller house (our location that only has 1 3D screen had to delay getting Fly Me to the Moon by a week in order for Journey to play its entire booked run)

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2008 08:59 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David-

When given the choice, what percentage of patrons go to the 2D version instead of the 3D version?

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2008 03:20 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the first 2 weeks of Journey the 3D version had 3.5 times the attendance of the 2D version (we dropped the 2D version after 2 weeks).

Our other 3D titles varied from 1.5X to 3X the 2D attendance.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-09-2008 07:32 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..and sadly, with the cinemas around here that did play "JCE" in 3D and the other cinemas playing the film version, the film cinemas got the wrath from the customers thinking that they're buying tix to attend a 3D movie and finding out it's just a "normal" movie ...and they were so dissapointed like they wanted to blame the attended cinema for not having any form of 3D capability.

3D is gonna really be the BIG BANG for this new generation.

-Monte

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 03-12-2010 02:57 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 518 days since the last post.

Kevin Fairchild
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2010 02:57 AM      Profile for Kevin Fairchild   Email Kevin Fairchild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is an old thread, but I stumbled across it while looking for another thread.

You CAN play a 3D file in 2D. We use Dolby servers and NEC projectors. When both are in 2D mode, it seems to just ignore the second image. I was curious about this so I tested it. Movie looked great. Just to be sure, I played the 3D test chart (the one where you see the word "left" or "right" depending on which eye you have open). Only the left image was projected.

Pietro Clarici
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2010 06:24 AM      Profile for Pietro Clarici   Author's Homepage   Email Pietro Clarici   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I can confirm that. On both NC2500S and NC1600C, you just have to create or modify a Title, setup either SDI-A or SDI-B channel as an input, and change a few setting in 3D controls.

Of course you're showing 4:2:2 material instead of 4:4:4 and color could be off as it was timed for 3.5/5.5ftL, but it works.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-12-2010 08:03 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that some distributors require it in their contract that ALL shows be played in 3-D... Disney and Pixar in particuluar.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 03-12-2010 01:43 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can also confirm that. I don't have 3D, but the 3D version of the new Tron trailer plays flawlessly in 2D.

Dolby DSP100
Dolby DSS100
Barco DP100

David Stone
Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2010 02:34 AM      Profile for David Stone   Email David Stone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guys,

BVI in Australia sent me both a 3D drive and a 2D drive on Alice in Wonderland after I made a request. I had several parties interested in group bookings in 2D only.

Yes the money is generally in 3D, but not everyone can afford or wants to see 3D, and at the end of the day you never want to miss a sale.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: