Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Which Company has the best 3d and why? Which is the best Price?

Author Topic: Which Company has the best 3d and why? Which is the best Price?
Sam Cat
Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2008 07:07 AM      Profile for Sam Cat   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Cat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you were going to beuild a new cinema or convert a screen today which way would you go?

Also does any one have any details on the Sony 3d system to be demonstrated at Show East next month?

Has anyone seen the Imax digital 3d system and so they know anything about the size of the screen and the costs?

And what are your thoughts on Real d compared to Dolby, Imax, and two projectors?

How many 3d screens are you putting in as a ratio of total screens?

|  IP: Logged

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2008 03:26 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I definately would not recommend anything by Sony! Remember the SDDS? What is that you ask? Well its the mere effort of Sony to penetrate the film business. Introduced the first 4K projector but still almost no features are released in 4K. I bet their 3D system will definately require their 4K projector and also their own dedicated server which by the way will not be able to be connected to an existing processor in any way possible!! That are my thoughts. If you really want to invest on a good 3D system, the Dolby is the most elligible to pass. Real D although delivers, lacks a lot since you have to go through the silver screen stuff, pay fees e.t.c. Xpand 3D uses active glasses which are very uncomfortable. The only people who look like they really know their stuff is the Dolby 3D system.
Demetris

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-12-2008 08:49 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you do the math the Dolby 3-D system works out to be a wash from a cost standpoint with Real-D's system over the number of usages you get out of the Dolby Glasses. With Dolby you only need a min 1.8 gain screen, no silver screen. With Dolby there are no re-occuring license fees since you bought the system or percentages taken from your ticket sales and so on. Real-D systems are not for sale... The Dolby 3-D system provides a far superior 3-D effect anywhere in the auditorium from any seat right in front of the screen to the ones in the far back corners of the room. Real-D does not. It should be much clearer which way to go... Pun intended!

Mark

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2008 12:14 PM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In regards to Sony's 3D system:

I had a chance to see this system in person a few weeks ago. With respect to the developers of the system, I prefer not to give out any details about the system's design. I will say that it is using passive polarization, and in many ways is much better than current single projector solutions.

Speculation on my part:
Hopefully Sony will be able give exhibitors the option to use a standard polarization filter, or to license Infitec's filter technology (dolby 3d). I've always wondered why the dual projector solutions out there haven't done this. It seems to make sense to allow the exhibitor to choose between a silver screen/ disposable glasses option or an Infitec / reusable glasses system. Both have their benefits, but Dolby 3D's filter tech provides a much better 3D effect without the need of a silver screen.

Edit: After visiting Infitec's website, It appears from their website pictures that they offer dual projector tech.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-12-2008 01:20 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not ure why there are not more 2-projector 3-D solutions being installed. Circular polarized systems are quite good and light level on even the largest screens is not an issue with stacked projectors. I believe there is also a stacked Dolby Digital 3-D system that has been tested as well.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2008 03:12 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
With Dolby there are no re-occuring license fees since you bought the system or percentages taken from your ticket sales and so on.
In theory this is true, in practice it isn't. Warner required Dolby 3D theaters to pay film rental on the 3D upcharge on Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 09-16-2008 06:05 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
I'm not ure why there are not more 2-projector 3-D solutions being installed.
Are there any dual projector 3D digital setups anywhere in the Mid-Atlantic region? I'd like to see how they measure up particularly with the synchronization of the eyes.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-16-2008 06:36 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kerkorian Theaters out in the L.A. area as far as I know have the only ones that are in operation. Zion Canyon is set to go stacked in November of this year when we hang a new 84X60 foot silver screen and install the stacking rack and second projector. The Doremi server as far as I know is the only available server that'll do stacked 3-D right out of the box.

Interestingly Christie has even nixed the stacking frame as far as selling it due to a conflict of interest with Real-D. We have to build our own stacking rack for Zion Canyon. Its not all that hard since I took detailed pics of one at a trade show.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-16-2008 06:47 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note, Dolby has dropped the list price of the 3D glasses down to $27.50 each...it is quite a drop, indeed.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-17-2008 01:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last price I had was 39.00 a pair so thats like a $12.00 drop on the price per pair... this actually makes Dolby 3-D a far better value than Real-D is if you look at the cost over the number of uses you get with the Dolby 3-D glasses. There are zero re-occuring lisensing fees as there are with Real-D and all you have to do is replace glasses when they start looking oogy... after well over 100 uses.

Mark

Robert John Jeromson
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2008 04:28 PM      Profile for Robert John Jeromson   Email Robert John Jeromson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any data anecdotal or otherwise to suggest that using a spray sanitiser on the Dolby glasses instead of putting them through a commercial dishwasher increases their life?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-17-2008 06:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert,
No data at all there but I do know of at l;east one other theater in the US that does them by hand... kinda labor intensive though woldn't you say....?

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2008 02:34 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correctly done, a dual-strip, dual-projector set-up will tromp all the others any day. And with new technology that wasn't prevalent in the '50s, you can do this even better than ever.

Danial Simmonds
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2008 09:31 AM      Profile for Danial Simmonds   Author's Homepage   Email Danial Simmonds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here we already installed to Dolby 3d system it works smooth and picture perfect [Smile]

But only one thing, its the filter controller.. it works its just that it hangs sometimes.. i wonder why..

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: