Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Using Blu-Ray DVD Player

Author Topic: Using Blu-Ray DVD Player
Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2008 02:38 AM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to find out if it is possible to adapt the HDMI output from a Blu-Ray player to drive a Barco ACS2408's DVI input and still get the 1080p resolution.

Is this possible or am I stuck using the component output?
Thanks in advance!

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-25-2008 06:42 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is most certainly possible. Just buy an HDMI to DVI cable or adapter....it is that easy.

Steve

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 08-25-2008 09:50 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not so sure about this Steve. Lonny Jennings had a recent experience with this very issue and says categorically it will not. Based on his experience,I went the RGB route in the same situation. Have you actually tried doing this yourself?

The Barco is not HDCP compliant and the HDMI output has metadata to detect what it is connected to and rejects anything not compliant is my crude understanding. The idea is to prevent ripping a perfect copy and with RGB you limited to 780P.

I'll be happy to be corrected here.

[ 08-25-2008, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: Sam D. Chavez ]

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2008 11:39 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DVD Players with Direct DVI-D version will output full 1080p to a projector (considered the projector is HDCP compliant). I have not experienced yet conversions which surely suck!
Demetris

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2008 02:00 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're using a Barco DP100 with the Barco ACS unit. Do both units have to be HDCP compliant or just the one connected to the HDMI output of the Blu-Ray? The ACS connects to the DP100 via dual DVI cables.
I guess I'll just have to try it to find out.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2008 02:38 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I will tell you a little story.
A man started walking from a Dvd player via the HDMI cable toward a great video projector. He reached the very end and knocked the door on the projector asking it "Are you HDCP compliant?". The projector did not answer. So the little man knocked again "ARE YOU HDCP COMPLIANT"? The projector did not answer again and thus the door was not opened. The little man started banging on the projector entrance "PLEASE TELL ME ARE YOU HDCP COMPLIANT". Suddenly a voice was heard from the projector in ultimate silence "NO!!!" and the man went back to its base. I hope that answers your question

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-25-2008 06:24 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam,

The question was NOT about HDCP compliance but of HDMI to DVI conversions. A DCinema projector will play any DVI input it understands (There is normally a list known DVI rates a projector will understand it varies by model). If the source is outputting 1080/24p material...most any DCinema projector will recognize it.

As to HDCP...that is another kettle of worms. The ACS-2048 is HDCP compliant though it is only a repeater for DVI/HDMI...that is, the device sends out the HDCP handshake and it passes it right along...when the display device answers, it also sends that back.

The PROJECTOR must be HDCP compliant for a HDCP active device to output HD. Thems the rules. Devices between the display (receivers, extenders, repeaters...whatever) when they say they are HDCP compliant mean that they will pass the handshaking along...and sometimes that can get messed up too...depending on the devices and how sensitive they are.

It is my understanding that Blu-Ray is not currently activating their HDCP handshaking...but that may have changed...I'm sure there are Blu-Ray users out there than can answer difinitively.

As for Barco and HDCP compliance...the DP1500 - DP3000 are supposed to be HDCP compliant by now...I know they were working on it and hence the ACS-2048 was made HDCP compliant. The DP30-DP100 were not HDCP compliant and never will be. The Christie CP2000-whatever projectors, starting with the CP2000-ZX are all HDCP compliant with an upgrade path for existing machines to become available this fall.

The NEC projectors, starting with the NEC1600, providing you use their MM2000 with the HDCP DVI module is HDCP compliant.

And if you are familiar with the underworld, there are HDCP rippers...but I won't go there.

Steve

Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2008 11:32 AM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Demetris,

What did this man do next? Is there a sequel?

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2008 11:35 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the man then came with a mere 720P resolution and broken through the HDMI to the projector

Anders Nordentoft-Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2008 12:02 PM      Profile for Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Author's Homepage   Email Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only way I know to get around this problem is to go the computer way. Pc + Blu-ray drive + Powerdvd 7.3 Ultra, Powerdvd 8 or Arcsoft Total media theater + AnyDVD HD = NO HDCP.

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html

Watch movies over digital display connection, without HDCP-compliant graphics card and without HDCP-compliant display.

[ 08-29-2008, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Anders Nordentoft-Madsen ]

Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2008 04:58 PM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did this man have a daughter, by any chance? Was she called RGB?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: