Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » d cinema release languages???

Author Topic: d cinema release languages???
Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-25-2008 01:13 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Besides English/Spanish/French/Italian/German....any others?

I'm talking about major releases only; not small specialties. Louis

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-26-2008 01:35 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Japaneese for sure [thumbsup] .

Mark

Marc Hansen
Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2008 09:59 AM      Profile for Marc Hansen   Email Marc Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are all the languages on the same "print" or do you have to book a different one for each?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-26-2008 06:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So far only one language but the other two channels(There are 8 available) could be utlized for multi language support.

Mark

Mike Renlund
Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2008 07:03 PM      Profile for Mike Renlund   Email Mike Renlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Each language is in a completely separate CPL (Content Play List). You can easily see what the content is by reading the filename:

WANTED_FTRv1_S_EN-XX_US-R_51_2K_UP_20080613_DLX

Whereas WANTED is the title of the film, 1st version of the Feature, Scope, English vocal track, XX means no captions, Rated R, 5.1 sound, 2K digital cinema, Universal Pictures, the date it was authored, and who authored it...in this case Deluxe.

Hope that helps.

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2008 09:58 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
So far only one language but the other two channels(There are 8 available)
You mean the other 10 channels - DCI calls for 16 total channels (all servers are supposed to output 16 channels). So far 10 channels are spoken for - L, LC, C, RC, R, LS, RS, SW, VI-N and HI - that actually leaves 6 available. But alternate languages can be accomodated by adding different audio assets and the CPL will determine which asset is played with the picture.

I've only seen english CPLs here in the States - I wonder if anyone in Europe gets languages other than english or if subtitles are included for now?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-26-2008 10:48 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have yet to install a server that has more than 8 channels output. Just installed the very latest version of the Doremi and it also had the analog out card in it... but still just 8 channels available at either the AES or Analog out jacks. The nice thing is that the analog out card IS true balanced out.

BTW... I really like the latest version of the DCP-2000 alot. It's RAID performance is now right up there with Dolby's and the new angled on board monitor is much better and seems much larger than the old version which was straight up and down. On the Dolby you can drag and drop... on the Doremi you just double click what you want to select... its actually much quicker to build up a show this way. It must be an option on most servers for those other few audio playback channels. But the fact that the DCP-2000 can ingest content and playback at the same time is a huge advantage to a single screen theater like this where they change films often. Setting it up is a little more complicated than other servers but not difficult by any means.

Mark

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2008 11:04 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The extra channels are supposed to be in the final, true DCI version of the servers - I think Dolby just needs a software patch/upgrade to activate the full 16 channels, the rest of the manufacturers I'm not sure about (I do think DoReMi claims 16 channels of digital output).

The analog card on the DoReMi is a nice touch and avoids the need to buy a DMA-8, USL equivalent or new processor.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-26-2008 11:08 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In this installation we installed the USL converter in addition to make the system a bit more flexible because of some interest in satellite broadcasts and so on. It doesn't add much to the cost and its performance is very definately on a par with the DMA-8. The ECI-60 and DMA-8 Plus both have but 8 chennels available!!

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: