Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DTS FilmStore Is Excellent! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DTS FilmStore Is Excellent!
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-02-2008 03:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have been working with the new DTS FilmStore the last couple of days... REALLY NICE UNIT! The image quality is hands down the best of all the servers I've worked with and those that have stopped by fomr other digitally equipped theaters agree.

The server is built utilizing a Dell Poweredge 2950 with a quad core processor and for now running Windows 2003 Server. We located this serv er for an upcomming demo in the base of a brand new Christie CP2000S It boots up really quick and is rock stable even around the typically noisy IREM ignitor pulses in the CP-2000. The Windows OS will soon change to a Linux OS as dictated by DCI and the boot time will probably be longer but this server is really great overall. I'll post a couple of photos later tonight.

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2008 08:20 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always like DTS for sound I will have to check this out. Thanks for the update Mark!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-14-2008 08:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Mark I'll bite. Why is the dts unit capable of delivering a better image than, for example, the Dolby unit?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-14-2008 10:03 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really have no technical idea why it looks better Brad. Be it extremely low artifacts, a more powerful decoding engine, purity of the outgoing HDSDI data... who knows except the manufacturer of the JPEG board and DTS themselves. I will try to find out a little more technical stuff from them if I can. Other local guys that also run Dolby's came by for a look see and everyone agreed the DTS produced an unbelievable image. In fact we did tests with a CP-2000S running on an 82 foot wide screen with the DTS Filmstore using 15/70 material that was scanned at 4K and the image held up remarkably well. They use a German made JPEG board of very high quality, I believe made by Mikron. The other part I actually like the best is the platform the system is based on. They take a Dell 2950 server running Windows 2003 Server. They add in their own extensive operating software to that and the JPEG board. The resulting GUI is about 95% as easy to use as Dolby's is and you get the proven super reliability of the Dell server of which there are several hundred thousand already in the field of this model alone. The server's OS is running in RAID 1 and the storage is RAID 5, all SATA drives. You also get the Dell repairman with the unit while it's under warranty with their super quick repair time. Windows Server 2003 is super stable and it boots up way way faster then the rash of current linux only systems I've used. I had some folks ask how they got away with using Windows as the OS... Turns out the DCI compliant areas of the DTS OS are indeed linux... they are imbeded into the Windows OS and that covered DCI's requirements. The RAID is also a bit more flexible than the Dolby's is and much easier to deal with rebuilds, drive replacement and so on. The server is also less expensive than the Dolby stuff and it involves just one piece... not two seperates. If you think about it the whole thing is very logical. Take an existing ultra reliable server platform built by folks that really know their stuff and add in your OS and decoder. Other manufacturers such as Dolby and DoReMi will be struggling to keep motherboards and other "off the shelf" parts in stock in just a few years time. DTS has gone through this very dilemma with the digital players and they ended up the wiser ones from the lesson learned. Imagine how DoReMi and Dolby will be struggling to keep motherboards, memory, and other spare parts in stock in about 5 years time! If dell discontinues a server there are literally thousands of used ones available for a pittance you can scrap out for parts if you'd ever need to.

The down side... The server is deep. 28 inches to be exact, so deeper racks need be spec'd in for the job. The good thing is that the server fits just fine in the Christie ZX base or just barely into the latest incarnation of the CP-2000S base. You have about three inches between the heat exchanger fan and the back of the server.

They also produce a Film Store Library as well also based on another well proven larger Dell server. Haven't gotten to that stage yet.

All in all the Filmstore server is very definately a big winner.

Mark

The P.S. The Filmstore server can also do 2-projector 3-D and 2 projector 2-D with an add in accessory card and software upgrade.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-15-2008 03:28 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How exactly is linux required by DCI specs? I saw something in the "security management" section where it said that the preferred OS would use the NSA kernel, which would mean that it would be using linux (as the NSA kernel is a patched linux kernel). But preferred is different from required.

Granted, no one's gonna bother with something else.

Oh and I wonder since they're using linux, it would be entirely possible to speed up the reboot time (note: not cold boot time) since the linux kernel can be compiled to allow it to load a kernel and boot it (avoiding the whole bios and all that).

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-15-2008 03:35 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with using a Dell machine as the basis for a product such as this is that Dell's product cycle is very short. Almost nothing that they make remains in production for even one year. This is a problem in a data-center environment where consistency is more important than incremental improvements in hardware.

Another issue with Dell is that they won't extend warranties past five years. Unless DTS has a special deal with Dell (which seems unlikely for such a low-volume product) or a stockpile of spare units, this thing will essentially become disposable after five years.

I agree that Dell generally makes quality stuff (though some of their older SCSI RAID 5 implementations sucked)...just that it isn't really a great choice as the basis for an appliance-type unit that is expected to have a long service life (or is it?).

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-15-2008 07:49 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,
The choice of the Dell Server was actually a very wise one if you stand back and look at what DTS and others have gone through over the years. Dolby and other server manufacturers are going to have a rough time keeping up with just motherboard versions that will still fit into their custom chassis without modifications. How many years Dell continues the 2950 is irrelevant, its already been out a long time and there are even used ones on E-bay. It doesn't matter how long they make it because DTS can use the next replacement for the 2950, install the same OS and JPEG card and just keep on going. This platform once configured by Dell needs no physical changes during its operational life unlike servers that need constant upgrading in data centers and large buisnesses.... all it may ever need is just possibly a software upgrade once in a while or an extra DTS accessory card added to an existing slot in the servers riser to go to say 2 projector 3-D.

You also forgot about the plethora of used Dell's on the market that will be available for parts if ever needed. I have a 2650 at home and if I need parts Dell still has many available. If they don't have what I need then E-Bay has seven pages of 2650's and parts available at the present time and that is just one place to find used servers. The "refurbished" server parts buisness is also a very large fiend with many companies solely supplying refurbished server parts. All in all I feel they made the wisest choice of all the server manufacturers so far, especially placing the basis of their system on the shoulders of an already highly proven and reliable product.

Mark

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 05-15-2008 08:14 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS D cinema division, which also includes legacy DTS XD10 audio product, was bought out by the Beaufort Group International of the U.K. this week. This should be a good deal since Beaufort has media network experience and a satellite broadcast business.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-15-2008 10:48 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes indeedie! DTS is quietly becomming a very major player in this field unbeknownst to most folks. Since the re-organization a couple of years back they are also a far better company to do buisness with then they ever were. The dealer and customer support they now provide is superb to say the least. Up till now most of their Filmstore installations have been in Ireland, France, and several other European areas. Its not like the server hasn't been thourghly tested. They also have a JPEG-2000 encoding system as well.

Mark

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2008 11:58 AM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
Another issue with Dell is that they won't extend warranties past five years
At the 5 year mark Dell gave us the option to renew our service contract on our 2550 servers - the initial warranties bought with new servers are only 3 year max, but I'm sure they will gladly take our money as long as they can still get parts.

The question in my mind about using Dell servers is the constant revisions of motherboards and other parts (i.e. even though you bought a 2950 last year and buy one this year does not mean you get the exact same motherboard revision and components) - does each new configuration have to get FIPS certified?

If you think about it all the manufacturers who use PC based servers are in the same situation of using hardware that gets end of lifed - it is just that DTS chose to use an off the shelf server as their base instead of building their own, I do think it is a smart idea because they can offload service on the base hardware to Dell. As long as they get FIPS certified and pass the DCI test (once implemented) I would definitely consider them as an option.

The biggest issue for me would be "sorry, parts are no longer available for your server - you need to buy the latest model to replace it because the old decoder portion is not compatible with the latest hardware" - I don't think it would happen, but it could depending on the idiosyncrosies (sp?) of FIPS and DCI (but this could happen from any manufacturer out there)

BTW - thanks for posting your thoughts on the latest server offering - did DTS give any sense of when it will go to production?

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 05-15-2008 01:03 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS took control of the Filmstore product from Avica, a pioneer in the cinema server market, last year. They have been upgrading the products and with the cash and experience of new owner in place....start buying [Smile]

Bevan Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2008 04:18 PM      Profile for Bevan Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bevan Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
15-May-2008

Entry into a Material Definitive Agreement, Completion of Acquisition or Disposition of

Item 1.01 Entry into a Material Definitive Agreement
On May 9, 2008, DTS, Inc. (the "Company"), Beaufort California, Inc. ("BC"), and Beaufort International Group PLC ("BI"), entered into a n Asset Purchase Agreement (the "Agreement") providing for the sale of substantially all of the Company's assets used predominantly in the conduct of the Company's digital cinema business (the "DC Business") to BC and the assumption by BC of certain liabilities of the DC Business. The sale was consummated the same day. Pursuant to the terms of the Agreement, the Company received cash consideration of approximately $3.25 million at closing and could receive $11.75 million in additional consideration. The Agreement contains customary representations, warranties and covenants.

The DC Business is focused on meeting customer needs in the burgeoning digital cinema space. There is no material relationship, other than in respect of the Agreement, between the Company and its affiliates, or any director or officer of the Company, or any associate of any such director or officer on the one hand, and BC or BI on the other hand.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-15-2008 07:11 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Press Release

DTS Digital Cinema Acquired by Beaufort International Group

May 13, 2008

Source: DTS

Beaufort International Group Plc announced today that it has acquired the business and assets of DTS Digital Cinema from DTS, Inc. for an undisclosed sum. Beaufort made the acquisition through its US subsidiary, Beaufort California, Inc.

Chris Thomas, Beaufort California, Inc.’s CEO, commented, “We are very pleased to have made this acquisition. DTS is an established brand in the cinema industry, and provides a solid foundation for us to develop our plans in digital cinema.”

Thomas continues, “DTS has laid the groundwork for us with its 15-year history in providing the highest quality digital audio for film to over 30,000 screens worldwide. DTS Digital Cinema has delivered soundtracks for over 9,000 releases in over 100 countries and its digital cinema products (FilmStore® Content Management System and DTS Digital Cinema Theatre Management System) are now proven and in service. These products have undergone substantial design and development and are ideal as the basis for the latest-generation D-Cinema networks. Our focus is on our customers and leveraging the strength of our products and services to meet their needs in the changing marketplace. We will continue to use the DTS brand for the foreseeable future under our agreement with DTS.”

Jon Kirchner, President and CEO of DTS, Inc. added, “We have now completed the sale of the Digital Cinema business which allows DTS to focus entirely on building a high growth consumer business. I truly appreciate the dedication of the management team and employees who continued to build the digital cinema business throughout the sale process, ultimately positioning it for future success under Beaufort's ownership.”

Beaufort International Group Plc is majority-owned by Datasat Communications Ltd., a UK-based satellite services provider. Datasat’s Managing Director Phil Emmel stated, “We decided to invest in the DTS Digital Cinema business because the company is one of the few golden brands that is established within the production and distribution and exhibition marketplaces. It is our vision that we can build a significant presence as a provider of products and services to the digital cinema industry. We want to work with all of the stakeholders to make their lives easier in the transition to D-Cinema and also to provide unparalleled levels of service to everyone working with media content. It is a natural extension of our existing managed service business in which we routinely deliver data and media content over secure networks.”

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-15-2008 08:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Zylstra
BTW - thanks for posting your thoughts on the latest server offering - did DTS give any sense of when it will go to production?
The 2-D server is available now. The 2-projector 2-D/3-D server should be out in another week if it passes cert. While I won't state the exact cost difference between the DTS and Dolby units the DTS unit is quite a bit less expensive... heck you're not paying them for also engineering a custom server!

One thing I forgot to mention is that the automation is built into the Filmstore. There is a rather extensive cue library built into the software for this. Automation output is via ethernet and a small "off the shelf" decoder box can provide dry contact closures where needed. Interfacing with a complex's ticketing machines is the next step and comming very soon and Remote Client software already exists for full remote control of the Filmstore.

GUys... I hardly consoder myself an expert on Dell servers but I can relate my own experiences to you. I don't completely agree on the parts issue. For me and the three Dell servers I own its been a total non issue. I have a 1550, 2450, and recently aquired a 2650. There were hundreds of thousands of each of these models built! I would consider the 2450 to be really old, mine was manufactured in 1999! Yet it still runs like new and also has every upgrade one can do to it. It still runs linux and apache server just fine. For obsolete servers the best parts source is the used market and a bare bones server for a parts scrapper is dirt cheap... like 150 bucks or less for a dual 3ghz 2650. Since there are thousands of used servers of all model numbers obtaining the parts one may need should never become an issue at all... it hasn't been for me. I still have and run the three servers that I own and recently I needed to add a 5th drive to the 2450. It took me all of 15 min. to locate a brand new "snap in" 5th drive bay for it via the internet and they were scarce as hens teeth even when the 2450 was still in production around the year 2000. Not all Dell servers have a plethora of motherboards although a few of them do. The 2650 for instance only ever had two. The first series had 400mhz fsb's and 160 SCSI. The later versions went to a 533mhz fsb and 320 SCSI. The older units are convertable to the later version and the boards are cheap off E-bay, around 75 bucks. Obviously you need more than just the bare MB, you also need the correct cpus, voltage regulators, and memory... but all the other parts remain the same. Oh and upgrading the CD drive to DVD on the older servers also helps... some of the new software out there only comes on DVD format. Now there may be other brands of servers that parts are hard to get, I am not at all familiar with Compaq or IBM and the others but they are also not at issue here.

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-09-2008 04:19 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
I hardly consoder myself an expert on Dell servers
I find that hard to believe. You consider yourself an expert on everything.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: