Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » What is your 3-D DLP system doing now? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What is your 3-D DLP system doing now?
Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2006 10:59 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wondering if you are showing regular DLP shows until your next 3D event happens?

If not, is it due to the 3-D hardware in front of the projector lenses? If you can't or unsure to speculate. Don't!

|  IP: Logged

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2006 11:17 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And what about those fancy silver screens? [Smile]

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2006 12:17 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our theater is opening its first 2D DLP movie on 2/17. As for the silver screen... it's still there.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 02-06-2006 08:39 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After Chicken Little, our DLP in #15 (the one installed explicitly for that 3D extravaganza) has stood idle while we played whatever 35mm print went in there. But whatever it was, it still looked good n' bright on that silver screen.

Although it's not in 3D, we opened Annapolis a couple weeks back on the DLP in that auditorium, the first DLP feature we've had since Chicken Little, and it (the image, anyway) looks great. Since Disney leased the projector, or paid to install it, or whatever, we're stuck playing Disney distributed shows in there. The polarizer mount just swivels out of the way, so 2D is no problem.

Our original DLP in #17 is still lying dormant (since we lost Corpse Bride, I think) and we're currently playing King Kong 35mm in there.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 02-07-2006 02:18 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Regal / UA King Of Prussia in Philly is showing Narnia in DLP in that theater.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2006 06:51 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, they charge $1.50 extra per ticket.

Our theatre has never charged extra for the DLP shows vs film.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 02-07-2006 11:39 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're the only DLP in town at the moment so I guess they do whatever they want. Kinda sucks. I might actually pay to go see stuff there if I didn't feel like I was getting raped.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 02-08-2006 02:15 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We don't charge a "premium" for DLP shows, but we DO charge an extra dollar on "Giant Screen" features: 35mm features on the IMAX screen. And that's always seemed a little backwards to me, although we don't quite get a say in that decision.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2006 07:59 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you guys have two copies of a big movie (Narnia, for example), one in DLP and one 35 MM, do people seek out the DLP or do they just show up to see the movie?

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2006 09:18 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have people from all over the area, and out of state, seek out the DLP showtimes. We list them separately in the ad in addition to mixing them into the regular showtimes too.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 02-08-2006 09:18 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we opened Polar Express the first time, we had IMAX 3D, DLP 2D, and two 35mm prints. We tried to upsell to the IMAX one. When we opened Harry Potter GOF, we had IMAX, DLP, and three or four 35mm prints. We had people explicitly asking for the IMAX, but I don't think anyone noticed, or cared, that we had the DLP. So, as far as DLP goes, people just show up and it's just another set of showtimes.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2006 07:57 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats interesting Brian.

I don't think the public in unsatisfied with 35 MM in general, but more annoyed by cell phones in the theatres and rolling stock ads.

Stephen LaPadula
Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2006 02:56 PM      Profile for Stephen LaPadula   Email Stephen LaPadula   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theatre has 4 DLP projectors, 2 of them are capable of 3D projection (installed for Chicken Little). For the most part we have been running 35mm prints in these houses with the exception of a DLP release. We pulled Narnia from the digital house Friday, but are booked to run 8 Below when it open in digital.

As far as patrons noticing the difference, I think it really depends on the area; for us, having a DLP print and a 35mm in the same size houses the DLP will always do better and usually by double. We also sell those thickets twice as fast, no matter what film is being shown.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 02-09-2006 09:18 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Matt Fields
I don't think the public in unsatisfied with 35 MM in general
Do you mean to say that it's the public's dissatisfaction that is making them seek out the IMAX version? I don't believe that's the case, either. I think the particular reason we get people wanting the IMAX and "ignoring" the DLP is because our big ads have "IMAX" plastered in big, sectioned out bits, whereas the DLP logo is never "featured" so much as to distinguish itself from whatever Dolby Digital, DTS, SDDS logos, etc. happen to garnish the visual layout.

People see "DIG: HARRY POTTER" on the marquee and have no clue that it's something special. It may still be a novelty, but the IMAX presentations are getting the reputation of being superb ... at least locally, where all our regulars come to see every IMAX we have. We don't seen to have that equivalent of a DLP following.

But anyway, we have Annapolis in DLP, and it clearly says "DIG: ANNAPOLIS" on the marquee, and I don't feel that everyone who pays for that ticket knows what they're seeing, despite the series of snipes that scream it to you before the feature. I mean, it wasn't really a BIG or "special" movie (was it?), so--rhetorically--why would it be in a special presentation format?

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2006 09:18 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just meant to say that I wasn't surprised that people didn't really care if the movie was digital ot not... IMAX is a recongizable brand name and gives the customer a different experience then 35 or DLP.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: