Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » 3D is a "premium business" for theatres, Regal and Dreamworks say (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: 3D is a "premium business" for theatres, Regal and Dreamworks say
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-29-2007 01:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal, DreamWorks CEOs see 3D transforming movies

Link

By Gina Keating
Thu Mar 29, 10:10 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Three-dimensional film technology could transform the movie business, with viewers willing to pay a premium for it, the heads of the top U.S. movie theater chain and largest independent animation studio said on Wednesday.

Michael Campbell, chairman and CEO of Regal Entertainment Group, said box office results from the handful of 3D films released so far convinced him of the "potential advantages for theaters, not just studios" in switching to digital projection systems that support modern 3D technology.

Campbell told analysts at a Bank of America conference that audiences were willing to pay premium ticket prices for 3D films, and said they preferred them by a 2-to-1 margin.

Another deciding factor for Regal was a strong show of support for the new medium by Hollywood studios, among them the Walt Disney Co. and DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc., which announced this month that it will make all its movies in 3D, starting with "Monsters vs. Aliens" in 2009.

Disney is set to release its animated film, "Meet the Robinsons," on Friday to 701 digital 3D screens, the largest such release ever, and has set up a studio with director Robert Zemeckis to produce animated movies in the new format.

"What that is going to mean for our industry in a few years when we have thousands of 3D screens ... if we can sell 10 to 15 percent higher (priced) tickets, that is a needle mover," Campbell said.

DreamWorks Chief Executive Jeffrey Katzenberg told analysts in a separate session that making animated films in 3D would add $10 million to $15 million to production costs, but he considered it a worthwhile expense.

"The audience actually feels in the (animated) world in a way that we have not really seen before. From a filmmaking standpoint, it is really exciting," Katzenberg said.

Katzenberg said nearly every major Hollywood studio plans to make "big event films" in 3D for release in 2009. He added that one day, "the mainstream of moviemaking is going to be the 3D experience ... and consumers will pay a premium."

The upcoming slate of 3D films from top directors, including Steven Spielberg, Zemeckis, James Cameron and Peter Jackson, would hurry along the digital transition in theaters, which had been "slow to embrace" the new technology.

"If half their business is a premium business, that changes the whole economics of the business," he said. "The momentum is gathering. This is the most exciting thing that has happened in the business since I have been in the business."

Katzenberg said that if enough theaters have converted to digital 3D by the 2009 release of "Monsters vs. Aliens," he would consider releasing the film only in that format, and making a 2D version available only on DVD.

|  IP: Logged

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2007 02:27 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is all wonderful while 3D is a "theater only" experience. If 5 years from now all movies (live and animated) were produced in 3D it could be the differentiator that makes it worthwhile to see something in the theater. The problem is, 3D will make it to the home without question at some point. I'm sure it wouldn't be that difficult to add a polarizer to a DLP (or LCD projection) TV set.

I challenge the studios to commit to only release 3D to theaters. If they did that, it would actually make a real business case to go digital. Of course you'd get better quality by just using two side by side 35mm projectors but we won't go there!

Speaking of quality, is it true that Real-D is not really full 2k resolution for some reason? I remember reading that a while ago.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-29-2007 03:29 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Lyle Romer
If 5 years from now all movies (live and animated) were produced in 3D it could be the differentiator that makes it worthwhile to see something in the theater.
No, the "differentiator" is the idea of getting out of the house. 3D is an add-on, but you're right...it will make it to the home sooner than later.

Besides, some movies (kiddie ones mainly) might need 3D, but a well told story doesn't. Without the 3D angle, Disney's "Meet the Robinsons" would be a mere blip on the radar the same way "The Wild" was last year.

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2007 05:40 PM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Lyle Romer
Speaking of quality, is it true that Real-D is not really full 2k resolution for some reason? I remember reading that a while ago.
The Source resolution of the 3D content may be the same as a regular 2K presentation, or it may be packaged smaller, but it's the limitations of the light engine's processing force you to reduce the image size on the chip.

Here's why:
Normal 2D presentations are shown at 24 FPS. 3D presentations are played at a much higher frame rate, with a ratio of 6:2 (or triple-flash). What this means is that each eye's image is flashed 3 times in one second. This adds up to 144 FPS, and exceeds the engine's bandwidth. Reducing the presentation area on the chip lightens the processing load of the formatters and interface.

How much "quality" is lost, is debatable. Triple-flash will ensure smooth movement and minimal ghosting of the 3D image.

Chris Parry
Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2007 01:04 PM      Profile for Chris Parry   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Parry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's not forget that the studios make reams more money on DVDs than they do on theatrical, so if it's scientifically possible to get 3D into the home setting, you can bet they're already working on it.

And then where's the theater industry going to look? Smell-O-Rama?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-30-2007 01:14 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the strategy is to raise ticket prices, but not necessarily to sell more tickets. Hmm. If the real money is made on concessions, how does this master plan help exhibitors in the long run? Are customers who pay extra for tickets less likely to blow as much money as usual on concessions? Do the distributors get a piece of that extra 3D fee?

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-30-2007 01:53 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tristan Lane
Triple-flash will ensure smooth movement
No it doesn't. There's a huge amount of strobing in the current 3D setups that manifests itself more clearly as movement on the screen increases. The only way to avoid it is to put BOTH eyes on the screen at the same time - which is probably only possible if you use two projectors. Most viewers probably consider the strobing as a "cool 3D effect" but it's actually quite annoying to those of us who know what real 3D should look like.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-30-2007 03:53 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On top of topic of this thread, I agree audiences may be willing to pay some premium to see movies in 3D. But movie distribution companies had better be careful not to kill the golden goose by price gouging customers either. With other items like gas prices now shooting through the roof (again) public anger over price hikes on various things will be a dangerous factor.

RealD runs at 48fps. Each "eye" sees 24fps.

The pixel count is not reduced either. Meet The Robinsons measures 1998 X 1080 pixels.

Further, imaging chips like the 3-chip 2K DLP units in Christie CP2000 projectors don't "scale." It doesn't work like a CRT gun. The pixel grid is very much a very fixed thing. There are different framing formats that fit within the maximum area of the 2K DLP chip's 2048 X 1080 pixel grid. 1998 X 1080 is one of them.

As to reduced light output, yes, the image is not quite as bright. The RealD Z-filter that swings in front of the projector lens reduces some light. The silver screen does as well. I'm not sure what effect the higher frame rate has on reducing light levels.

At any rate, I'm going to check out the movie this weekend (maybe even late tonight). One item I'm really excited to check out is the 3D movie trailer for U2: 3D.

quote: Mike Blakesley
DreamWorks Chief Executive Jeffrey Katzenberg told analysts in a separate session that making animated films in 3D would add $10 million to $15 million to production costs, but he considered it a worthwhile expense.
I assume that $10-$15 million figure Katzenberg mentions for the additional cost of 3D is for rendering a "2nd eye" for 3D CGI animated movies. It shouldn't cost nearly that much to shoot a 2nd eye camera angle for a live action movie.

Another thing I find odd...that $10-$15 million additional is considered a worthwhile cost. The added cost of shooting a 35mm movie in 65mm instead can run under $1 million. But I guess that isn't worthwhile.
[Roll Eyes]

Jarryd Beard
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2007 07:46 PM      Profile for Jarryd Beard   Email Jarryd Beard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
RealD runs at 48fps. Each "eye" sees 24fps.
I could have sworn our Christie tech said it was 144fps. In other words, he said six frames are shown for every normal (1/24 sec) frame. In that 1/24 of a second, the right and left eye pictures alternate three times for a total of six frames... three unchanging left, three unchanging right.

2(eyes)*3(alternations)*24(different fps)=144fps.

quote: Bobby Henderson
The RealD Z-filter that swings in front of the projector lens reduces some light.
In the Christie setup, the projector actually increases bulb power once it receives the 3-D cue. Once again, this is what I've learned from our Christie tech. I'm not 100% sure of this information.

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2007 08:16 PM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think 3D is a gimmick that will wear off as soon as people realize the quality will be lower and the glasses can be an annoyance.

quote: Mike Blakesley
Besides, some movies (kiddie ones mainly) might need 3D, but a well told story doesn't.
I agree with this completely.

Let me add something else...
The day that most mainstream movies come out in 3D will be the day I completely stop going to the movies. Unless the technology can make the color quality reducing glasses or headache inducing headsets unnecessary, I will skip.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-30-2007 08:46 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jarryd Beard
I could have sworn our Christie tech said it was 144fps. In other words, he said six frames are shown for every normal (1/24 sec) frame. In that 1/24 of a second, the right and left eye pictures alternate three times for a total of six frames... three unchanging left, three unchanging right.
I don't know. I'm still wondering about that.

First of all, the JPEG2000 movie on the hard disc is definitely stored at 48fps.

The thing that makes me wonder about that "triple flash" stuff is the viewer complaints of strobing at some theaters. If the projector was alternating the left and right eye images back and forth three times for each frame and having a total refresh rate of 144Hz it would be impossible for the human eye to detect any flicker. The vision for most people runs between 60 and 70 fields per second. Our persistence of vision blurs over the area where one frame changes to the next, which is what makes frame rates as low as 24fps tolerable.

quote: Jarryd Beard
In the Christie setup, the projector actually increases bulb power once it receives the 3-D cue. Once again, this is what I've learned from our Christie tech. I'm not 100% sure of this information.
I have to wonder about that as well. I'm under the impression the techs from Christie simply adjust the lamp for a certain balanced level once the silver screen is installed. A level ramped up even higher could result in hot spots on the screen. Is the lamp power in a CP2000 projector something that can be cued and controlled via a Doremi DCP-2000 server and Christie DCA21 automation?

quote: Mike Williams
I think 3D is a gimmick that will wear off as soon as people realize the quality will be lower and the glasses can be an annoyance.
I won't judge RealD until I see it in action.

Having seen a number of IMAX-3D and 35mm polarized color 3D movies, I know the potential of 3D. The technology certainly has a relevant use for certain kinds of genre movies, event programs and motion simulator rides.

John Stewart
Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2007 09:24 PM      Profile for John Stewart   Email John Stewart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen both CHICKEN LITTLE and NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHIRSTMAS and thought the 3d effects were very good. Can't say that CHICKEN LITTLE was that good of a film but the effects were. NIGHTMARE was pretty darned amazing to me. It seemed to me that the 3d effect in the first few min. of the film was minimal but the depth got better as it went along. I love that film and the 3d effect was sweet. I wouldn't say that the technology degraded it at all in the theaters I saw them in. The glasses might be a little annoying if anything. The CHICKEN theate used Christies projectors but I don't know what the other theater used.

John

John

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-30-2007 09:50 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somewhere on the forums, somebody was wondering how much more it costs to show a film in 3D. Well I got the new "I.M.E." today and it says (from ShoWest info) that it costs $40,000 to $50,000 to outfit a projector with 3D, and about $25,000 in "annual fees" (WTF?!)

So I can totally see the premium price.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-30-2007 10:34 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby,

I think I understand what is causing the "strobing" problem. I'll see if I can explain what's happening. Assuming each frame is shown three times to each eye...

1. Left Eye: sees frame 1; Right Eye: sees nothing.
2. Left Eye: retains frame 1 with Persistence of Vision; Right Eye: sees frame 1.
3. Left Eye: sees frame 1 again; Right Eye: retains frame 1 /w POV.
4. Left Eye: retains frame 1 with POV; Right Eye: sees frame 1 again.
5. Left Eye: sees frame 1 again; Right Eye: retains frame 1 w/ POV.
6. Left Eye: retains frame 1 w/POV; Right Eye: sees frame 1 again.

THEN
7. Left Eye: sees FRAME 2 for first time; Right Eye: retains frame 1 w/ POV.
8. Left Eye: retains frame 2 w/ POV; Right Eye: sees frame 2 for first time.
...etc.

So, for a moment (admittedly, an extremely SHORT moment) one eye is retaining frame X, and the other eye is actually seeing frame X+1. That isn't enough to cause a problem... until the motion on the screen starts to increase. The faster things are moving on the screen, the more the eyes appear to separate, and what you see is the same thing you would see if two interlocked 35mm projectors were very very slightly out of sync. What's funny is if that happened in the 50s, that was considered a poor presentation. "Poor presentations" is one of the reasons 3D didn't last very long.

I thought the leaves blowing in the beginning on Monster House looked absolutely ridiculous because of this phenomenon.

Anyway, I hope that makes sense. I think that's what's happening. Help me out if you think I'm wrong.

Hopefully I didn't put Heenan to sleep.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-31-2007 12:28 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmmmm didn't notice any strobing however that sequence with the characters running across the credits was a waist of time in 3-D. Couldn't tell what was going on. Maybe that is the strobing explanation but as far as strobing of light I didn't notice anything. Some of this jerky look I have seen in 2D content when things move fast across the screen. Something I have never seen with film.

As far as the U2 trailer it was ok but as far as it playing on the features playlist it is not nor did it have to be.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: