Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Showplace Cinemas, Evansville, IN. Going Digital (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Showplace Cinemas, Evansville, IN. Going Digital
Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2007 02:42 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting to read the feedback from readers at the links site.

Showplace Cinemas Evansville, In. going all digital

Local cinema going digital
By Rich Davis-Evansville Courier & Press.
Thursday, July 26, 2007

Evansville's largest theater operation, Showplace Cinemas, is converting its 39 first-run screens in Evansville and Newburgh to digital at a cost of several million dollars.

Owner Paul Stieler also said Wednesday he's spending about $600,000 on a 180-seat Hollywood Bar & Grill that will adjoin his IMAX and 18-screen Showplace East theater on Morgan Avenue.

Stieler said besides the bar, a family area will seat about 130, with menu items ranging from pizza to hot wings.

In-house restaurants and digital screens are two major trends in the movie theater business.

"Five or eight years from now everyone will be digital. Film projectors are becoming obsolete," said Stieler, noting satellite dishes will be installed atop his Showplace East, North and Newburgh theaters to receive movies. "It's coming. It's the biggest happening in the theater business since talkies in the '20s."

Stieler said Access Integrated Technologies of New Jersey will do the work starting Sept. 1 at Showplace East.

With digital, Stieler explained, not only is the visual quality better "but it's as clear the 5,000th time you show the movie as the first time."

The onset of the digital age may turn cinemas into more than movie houses. "This will let us show not only movies but (eventually) live concerts in 3D, boxing matches, maybe in five years the Super Bowl," Stieler predicted.

IMAX movies are still produced on the larger 70mm film.

Stieler's competition, the Chicago-based Kerasotes theater chain, operates Stadium 16 on the West Side. That theater reportedly has an auditorium with digital capabilities, but Kerasotes officials weren't available for comment Wednesday.

According to Access, the industry leader in deployment of digital cinema programming, Showplace is the 11th theater chain to contract for its services.

Access can deliver nearly 2 million digital screenings of Hollywood feature films and "alternative content" and is in the process of connecting its system to 4,000 screens in 41 states.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2007 03:51 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do the digital PR people give these guys a script? "Good the 5000th time as the first"; "Show more concerts and sporting events"; etc. It's the same thing every time!!!

This is similar to the script they used when the big multiplexes were coming online: "We plan on dedicating a few of our screens to foreign and independent films". Yeah, like THAT happened.

Convert to digital if you wish, but get a new line!!!

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2007 04:42 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Allen
"but it's as clear the 5,000th time you show the movie as the first time."
well at least they are optomistic! 5 sessions a day for 2.7 years! shame that the dvd window is so small!

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 07-28-2007 07:06 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
well at least they are optomistic! 5 sessions a day for 2.7 years! shame that the dvd window is so small!
You completely missed the point of what you quoted. They aren't saying "We are gonna show this movie 5000 times and it's gonna look great all those times." They were saying "Even if we played it 5000 times, it would look just as great at the end."

They picked a large number to indicate that no matter how many times it's played, it'll look just as good.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-28-2007 09:09 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They could have said, "Since we don't maintain our projectors, and we have our ushers taking care of the projection booth with minimal training, and we're too cheap and lazy to take care of our prints, the films do get pretty beat-up by the end of their run. With digital, we'll eliminate that problem!"

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2007 09:31 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris I didnt miss the point at all, What made you think that? I agree that digitals strongest points is its lack of wear and tear and its uncompressed multichannel audio.

Digital projection could potentially be the best thing for $1/ subrun/ repetory houses ever!

In the comments sections did anyone notice there employee issues, cutting back the hours of staff due to a federal increase of 70 cents per hour. Does this cinema have a history of poor film presentation, find it difficult to run a 35mm print say 350 times? Any locals about, just curious?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-29-2007 01:45 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how long it will be before he jacks up his ticket prices and concession prices to cover his ass when he finds out that his overall attendance stayed the same.

You know I like watching the super bowl or football in general but I have no desire to go to a movie theatre and watch it with a bunch of people when I can watch it at home.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-29-2007 01:54 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Digital projection could potentially be the best thing for $1/ subrun/ repetory houses ever!
The sad reality is d-cinema will be a plus for most first run movie theaters. Most movie theater chains are not willing to properly train employees in the virtues of handling film properly and showing film in the standard of "film done right."

Add to this problem the situation of strangely declining standards in 35mm mass production print quality. Jitter. Side weave. And more. Right in the freaking print itself? I don't get it. Are some of the film manufacturers deliberately trying to put themselves out of business?

Digital cinema is only at this point overcoming a certain level of mediocrity and incompetence. With "film done right" in 35mm or 70mm digital cinema would have no chance.

Also, there is no VIDEO camera in existence that can even cup the balls of any 35mm film-based camera when it comes to capturing the best image quality. If we want to talk about 8-perf 35mm or 5-perf 70mm the gigantic wide gulf already separating video and film just gets more extremely separated.

I am a computer graphic artist by living. I am highly steeped in digital technology. But I fully know that certain "analog" things still drop kick the living shit out of most "digital" things quite easily. That especially goes for any glorified video camera.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-29-2007 03:08 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
I am a computer graphic artist by living. I am highly steeped in digital technology. But I fully know that certain "analog" things still drop kick the living shit out of most "digital" things quite easily. That especially goes for any glorified video camera.

That's why records, if taken care of, sound better than CD's

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-29-2007 06:33 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the "d-word" has worked its magic again on the owner. He thinks (mistakenly) that someone in Evansville cares. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-29-2007 08:54 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Darryl Spicer

Thats so far from true... not even close! There have been millions of crappy sounding LP titles produced over the years... Even the over $8,000.00 I once had invested in my LP "front end"... VPI turntable, Benz cartridge air bearing tone arm and Audio Research PH-3 phono preamp... couldn't keep pace with CD development and sound quality. I used to have a record collection of over 2000 disks... of which when I disposed of it I saved the best sounding ones... those totaled less than 150. Most were direct to disk recordings, half speed mastered disks or something out of the ordinary or old Capitol or Mercury LP's made back when things were done right. Even the CD versions of the half speed mastered stuff and the old LP's started to sound better than the LP's did. I suspect there is a lack of really decent equipment at the above home to allow an honest comparison.

quote: Louis Bornwasser
I think the "d-word" has worked its magic again on the owner. He thinks (mistakenly) that someone in Evansville cares. Louis

quote: Brad Allen
Stieler's competition, the Chicago-based Kerasotes theater chain, operates Stadium 16 on the West Side. That theater reportedly has an auditorium with digital capabilities, but Kerasotes officials weren't available for comment Wednesday.

I remember seeing one of those places when I was in Evansville to pull the Simplex's out of the X-Rated theater.... I think I stayed at a motel right next door or across the street or something.

In reality I think its more than likely the Digital image and sound quality worked their magic AND having Kerasodas breathing down his back. He has to do something or loose it! I applaud him for being so bold... and I'm sure many patrons will notice the improvement in image and sound.

Mark

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-29-2007 12:07 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Even the over $8,000.00 I once had invested in my LP "front end"...
Bet you would like to have that back. [Smile] But I am not here to raise a debate over whose equipment is better than whose. I am not trying to seek the truth about records over CD's so let's not even go there.

I do feel that if you took two theatres and sit them side by side. One of them was a slopped floor 16 screen theatre with DLP projection on all screens and the other was a Stadium seating 16 screen theatre with all 35mm screens. You will probably find that the Stadium theatre with 35 mm will beat out the slopped theatre with DLP just because no one wants to go to a slopped floor theatre if they can go to one with stadium seats. That's just the way it is. Not very many people really care about how the movie gets to the screen so long as it gets to it. But attendance will be effected if the popcorn is stale, your theatre is dirty, your employees are rude, no stadium seating, the parking sucks, a bad neighborhood, the movie never starts on time or there is not a lot to chose from at the concession stand.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-29-2007 01:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bet you would like to have that back. But I am not here to raise a debate over whose equipment is better than whose. I am not trying to seek the truth about records over CD's so let's not even go there.

No! Definately not... I'm glad all thats gone... and having the cartridge re-tipped and all was a hassle and very expensive. Once CD's started getting better I got rid of it all. I sent all but the best sounding 150 records to the dump [thumbsup] . The used record store here in SLC is run by the same guy that was on the Seinfeld episode who wouldn't give Kramer or George anything for their used records. It was easier to just trash em a little bit each week than to take em all the way down there.

I do feel that if you took two theatres and sit them side by side. One of them was a slopped floor 16 screen theatre with DLP projection on all screens and the other was a Stadium seating 16 screen theatre with all 35mm screens. You will probably find that the Stadium theatre with 35 mm will beat out the slopped theatre with DLP just because no one wants to go to a slopped floor theatre if they can go to one with stadium seats. That's just the way it is. Not very many people really care about how the movie gets to the screen so long as it gets to it. But attendance will be effected if the popcorn is stale, your theatre is dirty, your employees are rude, no stadium seating, the parking sucks, a bad neighborhood, the movie never starts on time or there is not a lot to chose from at the concession stand.

Well, you can't say much for those cheap lame brain theater operators who have other up to date smarter local competition and have not kept up with converting to stadium. If the competition has stadium you'd dam well better have it too. Doesn't matte what you project in... if it were projected in Super-8 you'd still find more in the stadium theater.

Mark

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-30-2007 11:14 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One problem I've noticed with a lot of music CDs in recent years is they are extremely badly engineered -and done so on purpose!

I have a couple of different audio editing computer programs (Sound Forge and Adobe Audition). I can load up an old CD, such as the Ultradisc II 24K Gold release of Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon. The levels look very good on that one. Hardly any clipping at all. If I load a track from a recent hard rock CD I purchased, there's really no damned waveform at all. The peaks on it have been amputated. It's just a bunch of vertical streaks with squared off tops. Shit. The only thing I can figure is the record company bastards deliberately screwed up the audio quality on the disc so it would sound just as good in ultra lossy compression MP3 bullshit or iTunes. It's either that or the ass-hats subscribe to the car stereo blasta-box idiots who believe loudness equals great quality. Dude, I don't care if I can hear your car stereo in the next zip code. It still sounds like stinky ass. You suck. Burn your vehicle you tool. But the record industry guys won't relent, either with the shitty mastering jobs on their discs or the inexcusably bad derivative nature of the types of music they're selling. Hey, it's just as good as a CD. A really shitty quality CD. But they can hide behind that "digital" word and insist it is all perfect.

To me, the word "digital" is just like the word "smurf" in that blue cartoon characters series. Hey digital! Did you know I ate some digital yesterday while walking up the digital to meet digital? We talked about digital while playing digital. Then digital came over to talk about digital while we played more digital. Then we ate some digital and laughed about digital. We farted out of our digitals. Digital had sex with digital. We got high smoking some digital. Then we got in our digitals to digital home. But got arrested by digital for driving our digitals under the influence of digital. We got thrown in the digital and got to spend the entire digital in the digital. Shitty digital, man!

I think that sums up about how stupid and meaningless the word "digital" is anymore. Damned near everything is digital now. There is nothing impressive about it. There is shit quality product that can reside in the digital domain. That's the one point that seems totally lost on all those folks who worship at the digital altar. Digital is not always perfect. Buyer beware. But better yet, buyer...it's time for you to get an education already. Stop being so freaking stupid.

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2007 11:58 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some, not all.

Some of the RCA Living Stereo series for example are extremely well mastered and still stand up to their CD counterparts, if they are played on properly maintained equipment. And it pretty much has to be a sealed copy. Same with MFSL, some of their LPs sound absolutely incredible still.

Then there is the other end of the spectrum, John doe who bought a record player in the rejuvenation they seem to be having lately. Usually with a very low end configuration, usually consisting of an inexpensive magnetic cartridge and a roughish cut diamond stylus. Thats fine, it'll play Sgt. Peppers and Glen Campbell styrenes. But its not the capability that you can harness from a thoughtfully mastered, usually vintage LP.

Towards the 80's the record companies weren't doing crash hot, in the 70's some companies resorted to punching the labels out of old records and grinding the rest back into vinyl pellets. It really shows, records of this pedigree usually wont stand up very well to any repeated play.

Generally speaking, a lot of 80's LPs sound pretty awful, who knows, they may have even been pressing with tapes mastered for CD [Razz]
Seriously CD is excellent, its brought mobility, fidelity for those who don't want to pay for it and music to the masses. You can't stop progress, but you can ignore it [Wink]

The Vinyl Vs. CD thing will probably never die, I would say the same about film vs. digital, but thats a whole other kettle of fish.
Almost everyone in the western world has had at some point both CD's and records. For the most part the records sounded crap on vintage, and or cheap systems, CD was a godsend.
But for film, only a handful of people in the world handle the stuff, and its a little biased to say on a projectionists forum that everyone knows/cares, because simply put, many people still think theres a "VCR up there".

So yeah, its all personal preference... I think that was my point. I forget [sleep]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: