Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Boeing DLP at McClurg Court Theatre

Author Topic: Boeing DLP at McClurg Court Theatre
Nathan Guerriero
Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2002 10:11 PM      Profile for Nathan Guerriero   Email Nathan Guerriero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Does anyone know anything about the Boeing DLP that is supposedly installed at the McClurg Ct Theatre in Chicago? I've heard rumors about McClurg getting DLP; now the Boeing web site says that McClurg has one of the dozen or so Boeings in operation. Is there a difference in quality between the TI and Boeing DLP?

I saw Episode II at McClurg the other week, and frankly, now I don't know if I saw it in 35 or digital. I would feel a lot better knowing it was DLP, because something about it just didn't look right.

Anyway, if anyone knows anything about this, or who did the installation, or anything at all, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-14-2002 10:24 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was there when it went in on May 3. They pulled one of the 35/70 X-L's to make room for it (this is on the large screen, of course). It's a Christie DLP unit supplied by Boeing Digital Cinema. Installation by Boeing & Christie personnel along with the independent tech who services Loews in this area. TI is the only manufacturer of DLP chips (not sure if they supply other components of the projector head as well) so any DLP projector whether made by Barco, Christie, etc. is built around TI chips. Boeing doesn't build projectors; they simply provide them under various lease or financing deals which probably vary from theatre to theatre.

If you attended the preview on the morning of Tues 5/7 you saw 35mm film. (This was an early print and later ones look better per one observer.) If you attended the charity preview over the weekend you saw DLP.

Nathan Guerriero
Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2002 03:25 PM      Profile for Nathan Guerriero   Email Nathan Guerriero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info Steve. I was at the screening on 5/7, so I guess I saw one heck of a crappy print. This should be an interesting addtition to McClurg's presentation. If only they would show some 70...

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-16-2002 04:18 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nathan wished:
>If only they would show some 70...

You will be saddened to learn that they pulled the CP200 in favor of a CP65. The 200 had had some undiagnosed sound outages recently and they simply weren't going to take any chances on this run. MPU is still there but it's likely that the future of 70mm lies with DTS anyway. They remain fully equipped for SDDS/8, DTS, and SR-D.

BTW, the installation at Woodfield, while the same Christie projector, is under the Technicolor auspices and uses Qualcomm's compression scheme rather than the MPEG2 system used by the Boeing setup.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-16-2002 05:15 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't McClurg Court going bye bye anyway? Or has that changed?
Mark @ GTS

Nathan Guerriero
Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2002 10:01 PM      Profile for Nathan Guerriero   Email Nathan Guerriero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I'm sad to see the McClurg CP200 go, but I take solace in the fact that I've still got a great 200 at the Biograph, complete with PROPERTY OF CINEPLEX ODEON stickers on it. If James Bond comes for it, he'll have to duel me for it. I'm nursing a plan to bring back 70 when the Biograph reopens.

And yes, the rumor is that McClurg will close somewhere in the timeframe of the opening of the new AMC.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: