Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Regal to Implement Digital Projection by End of Next Year! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Regal to Implement Digital Projection by End of Next Year!
John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2002 07:29 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it was in the LA Times today!! Regal says they are going to implement DP in 80% of their SCREENS by the end of 2003! A deal has been struck with Christie and NBC to produce and exhibit short digital productions prior to exhibition of 35mm prints!
Read all about it at: http://www.latimes.com/business/ 'Seeing will be believing'!

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-04-2002 07:54 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Full Story Here

Just to be clear, this is for on-screen ads and other non-feature-film stuff.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2002 08:01 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
However, it is quoted at the end of the article...."Whenever film goes away forever, we'll be ready" Cliff Marks, President of Marketing, Regal Theatres.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2002 08:05 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just wondering how long it will be until they try to actually project a full-length feature with this cut-rate system Regal is installing and then decide that even it (well below even current DLP standards) is "good enough." I'll bet they'll try an experiment sooner or later.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-04-2002 08:15 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they install inexpensive data grade projectors they could tap into a new revenue stream. If they are installing full blown digital cinema projectors before any standards have been set then this is a surefire way to run a business into the ground, unless there is some mechanism to have the studio foot some of the bill out of print savings. Being able to run commercials that the local Ford dealer shot on Mini-DV might pay for simple projectors but that won't pay for the big systems and what will they do when their 2003 projectors are obsolete in 2005?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-04-2002 08:17 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a "boardroom"-class projector: Christie RoadRunner L6 XGA Projector
MSRP: $18,995

As long as its use is limited to ads & non-feature stuff, this has to beat dirty/backwards/dim/stale slides. [Cinemark has been showing the same trivia slides for so long it's getting ridiculous.]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-04-2002 08:19 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to see Regal's economic justification for doing this. If they just want to show ads, slide projectors are cheaper and will last longer. If they want to show motion pictures with this system, they are crazy, as their equipment doesn't even measure up to the current-generation DLP machines and is likely to be obsolete quite soon.

The only reason for doing this that I can think of that would make economic sense would be if they wanted to rent out the theatres for non-film events like company meetings, etc., where the customers might want video and/or data projection capability (for non-film material on tape, powerpoint, etc.). But if this is what they want, then why would they bother to equip more than one or two houses in a complex?

I'm all in favor of anything that saves money and anything that improves presentation quality, but this doesn't seem to serve either purpose.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 12-04-2002 09:20 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To me it sounds more like an 'engineering exercise'. I'm sure Regal is getting one heck of a deal from Christie so that Christie can test out their large scale digital distribution network system. They've done similar setups (although on an extremely smaller scale) with their DLP systems.

AFAIK Kodak is working on a similiar digital ad delivery network with IBM.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather see all companies involved test out their digital distribution networks on the ads than on the features. Besides, who cares if your ads don't work for a week. [Big Grin]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-04-2002 09:23 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Microsoft has something called Windows Media player 9 out and is touting it as high definition suitable for use with cinema DLP. In fact there is a company Digital Cinema Solutions already partnering with Microsoft to install projectors very similar to the one at the link above. The entire 2 hour feature and 6 channel audio is compressed to under 5 gigs! Needless to say, it shows. Their DLP projectors have also been having "issues" across the country. I am wondering if Regal won't end up going with this Microsoft thing. The "server" is nothing more than a Dell desktop running Windows XP.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-04-2002 09:43 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if their investment in these projectors wll drift away before DCinema becomes a reality. That is, the projectors will be obsolete and unacceptable by the time DCinema is established...as such it wouldn't make them any more ready than anyone else.

Steve

Josh Kirkhart
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2002 01:57 AM      Profile for Josh Kirkhart   Email Josh Kirkhart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I've seen and yes I've seen em' in action, they are being used between shows only. playing ads for coke and other promotions (a few trailers thrown in), they also have a flat screen in the lobby playing much of the same (could be the exact same, didn't pay too close attention) material. I suppose the system could be used for corprate meeting and such in the future. Yes, most are full motion video, not crystal clear but decent enough to sell products and entertain between shows, personally I think thier should be no ads, classical music, and full curtains but thats me. This could possibly minimize the amount of ads on film, lowering costs for advertisers and Regal themselves.

The reference to being ready for digital, I believe refers to going thru the experience of introducing something new and learning more about the technology for when the Glorified video projectors of the future become widespread. Obviously between shows with a DLP you wouldn't need this system, you just run ads and such on the main projector.

Every buisness wants to excell and I think this offers a couple of great avenues to do that, especially in advertizing capital.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-05-2002 02:05 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I side with Scott on this issue.

I wonder if the final yield vs. cost of equipment and maintenance is going to be lopsided in the wrong direction.

We use DP for ads, and the last I heard, the final profit margin is very small.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2002 03:00 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope this isn't off topic, but how in the heck could that dinky little thing get the ads on the screen with the auditorium lights still on, or off !? The specs on the Roadrunner talk about using a 200watt lamp. Am I missing something here?

Danny

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-05-2002 03:05 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Danny, we use Toshiba projectors. I forgot what the rating was on the lamps, but it does a very nice job on the screen (about 10 Foot-Lamberts) for its size. I think it is about 100 watts. However, if you get about 20 feet away from the screen, the picture "falls apart" with color fringing and pixel squares sticking out like a sore thumb.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-05-2002 06:57 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's information about the Kodak Digital Cinema System: [Cool]

http://www.kodak.com/go/dcinema

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/digital/showEastNR.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/digital/showEastKennel.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/digital/showEastLohan.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/digital/system.shtml

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: