Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Digital projectors

Author Topic: Digital projectors
Alex Grasic
Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2003 03:38 AM      Profile for Alex Grasic   Email Alex Grasic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone else's theatres in the process of testing digital projectors? They just recently installed one to run the corporate trailers in one of our houses. Any opinion on it? Do you think it will catch on? Where does the industry stand with respect to using digital projectors to run the full picture and not just trailers?

|  IP: Logged

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2003 04:02 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
digital projectors as in DLP? or just regular video projectors. One theater chain was thinking about installing video projectors to run pre-show slides and that trivia crap.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-27-2003 04:42 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A local bargain house is using a cheap laptop with Powerpoint and a Boxlight video projector to emulate a slide presentation. I was surprised that, considering the house lights were all the way up and the lens was so small the whole darn screen was full, it looked a lot better than I'd have imagined it would.

They got the projector for about 3k$, used.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-27-2003 08:11 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is information about the Kodak Digital Cinema Operating System for pre-show ads:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/digital/

And the Kodak Digital Cinema System:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/digital/system.shtml

Here is a link to the latest product announcements made this week at Cine-Expo:

http://www.boxoffice.com/scripts/newsviewstory.asp?ID=4893

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-27-2003 02:49 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/digital/system.shtml

Hey, John, that logo looks strangely similar to the Altec conductor!
[Eek!]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-27-2003 03:29 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First time I've heard that comment. The Logo's been in use for over a year. Assume it was done by a graphic design company.

Alex Grasic
Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2003 12:40 AM      Profile for Alex Grasic   Email Alex Grasic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, right now, they're starting to use a digital projector for the preshow and corporate trailers on one of our screens, just curious on how far along they are on running a full feature off a digital device.

Phillip Seib
Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2003 01:54 AM      Profile for Phillip Seib   Email Phillip Seib   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We used a DLP projector (Barco r-6) for the Full Frame FF in April. We held a tribute for the late Charles E. Guggenheim in which we were to show the combined works of Charles and his daughter Grace titled BERGA: SOLDIERS OF ANOTHER WAR. Grace Guggenheim (the director) was on hand to recieve a lifetime acheivement award for her father. We had a copy on both 35mm and digibeta that ran on the Barco. We ran a reel of the film on 35mm and a few minutes on digibeta and allowed her to decide how she wanted her work to be shown. She chosed digibeta. Now keep in mind that the majority of the film was old 16mm stock or on digital cam.(also it was transfered to 1.66 ratio) So I guess it matters the original film media it was shot on. I have seen DLP look great and I've seen it look really bad but digital films look better on DLP than with 35mm transfer.

David Rigby
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2003 05:23 AM      Profile for David Rigby   Email David Rigby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I have seen DLP look great and I've seen it look really bad but digital films look better on DLP than with 35mm transfer. "

Maybe it depends on whether the digital 'film' is live action or animated. When I saw Monsters Inc digital (working on the assumption that digital origination would be best on digital projection) it looked flat & lifeless compared to when I saw Shrek on film.

David

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-02-2003 11:05 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard to beat the contrast ratio of animation printed on Kodak VISION Premier Color Print film, which can have a density range of over 4.0 (10,000:1 contrast ratio) on the film.

My favorite way of quieting digital projection fans is to play shadow puppets in the "black" areas of the digital image. [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: