Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Alternative contents projection (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Alternative contents projection
Ferdinando Innocenti
Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2004 08:45 AM      Profile for Ferdinando Innocenti   Email Ferdinando Innocenti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
I was wondering if in US and all around the world you have theatres in which video projectors are used for alternative contents.
I search for threads about this issue, I found only something about advertisement and a link to a page that doesn’t exist anymore.

In Europe, some exhibitors are working for projecting alternative contents in “electronic” quality (SD, low contrast and color depth).
It’s a manner, I think, for introducing something “like” digital cinema, that is so expensive now (you know that a new compression standard were adopted some weeks ago – JPEG2000 – so many exhibitors must throw away their servers!).
Besides, this is a way to earn money from theatres in a different manner, showing live concerts (in Europe people went to cinemas to watch and listen to David Bowie!), operas, sports, TV fiction – in advance respect television programming - and so on.

I’d like to know something more, both from a technical and economical point of view, from US.
Thanks
Nando

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-05-2004 11:02 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak Digital Cinema will provide a pre-show system with alternative content:

http://www.kodak.com/go/dcinema

quote:
...digital system intended for showing independent features, documentaries, local language movies, and other moving image content on independent cinema screens in rural or community locations.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2004 11:34 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal Entertainment Group provides an electronic 20 minute preshow known as The Twenty. It features behind-the-scenes looks at movies and upcoming TV shows, as well as entertaining features such as shorts from the Cartoon Network, and advertisments such as M&M's and Coke. It is shown on a Christie L6 projector, and controlled via the Digital Content Network (DCN).

Ocasionally, Regal CineMedia will use the DCN to broadcast live events, such as concerts and sporting events, at selected theaters around the country.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2004 03:04 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At Muller Family Theaters, we have contracts with Unique Screen Media to run DVD-based LCD projectors at our Lakeville and White Bear Township theaters. The program is ten minutes with full motion ads for local businesses, movietunes music minutes, coke trivia and theater policy spots. It's worked great for local businesses, but as I always mention when this gets brought up, some patrons complain about the slide projectors that might not be totally straight on, or slightly lower volume, thinking that they're watching the film projector [Roll Eyes]

www.uniquescreenmedia.com
www.mullerfamilytheatres.com

Ferdinando Innocenti
Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2004 05:03 PM      Profile for Ferdinando Innocenti   Email Ferdinando Innocenti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, thanks for the answers!

Ken,
Do you use the L6 on big screen? It’s a 5200 lumens projector, so I think it’s good enough on about 8x5 metres screens, not more. Do you have a satellite dish for live events, or a cable connection? Is the video system (video projectors, computer?, DVD reader, CD reader) connected with cinema automation? Do ads-on-film exist anymore in Regal?

Steve,
Which brand of video projectors do you use? If I understand, people seem to be not so enthusiastic about video projection…

John,
I’m studying Kodak system, it seems to me what I was looking for and what could work so well in Europe. Is the system available in Italy?

I’ve heard about some Tv-movie preview in theatres. Can you confirm that?

Thanks
Nando

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-07-2004 08:38 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ferdinando Innocenti
I’m studying Kodak system, it seems to me what I was looking for and what could work so well in Europe. Is the system available in Italy?

Contact Denis Kelly, who is the Operations Manager for Kodak Digital Cinema in Europe:

denis.kelly@kodak.com

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2004 10:19 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ferdinando: The L6 is used on every screen. The quality is not that of film, or even DLP, but it is only for the preshow, except those theaters that show concerts, etc... In those cases, I believe medium-sized houses are used. The connection is via satelite. The system, which conists of a PC at each projector, as well as a central rack in the booth, is not connected to the automation. It is somehow connected to the box office system so that it knows to start the preshow in each house 20 minutes before the advertised start time of the film. It is still the operator's responsibility to be there when the preshow is nearing its end and start the film when it is over. The next thing the customer will see on screen when the film presentation starts is trailers. No more rolling stock ads, as that is all contained in the pre-show.

There are still some Regal theaters that do not have the DCN. They still run slide projectors during intermission and rolling stock ads.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2004 02:06 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use Toshiba LP380 projectors. Good video quality, and they can create a pretty big image with decent resolution. My only gripe with these projectors is they need quite a bit of ventilation to get good life out of the bulbs. We use about two or three bulbs per projector/per year.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-10-2004 10:24 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Regal Entertainment Group provides an electronic 20 minute preshow known as The Twenty. It features behind-the-scenes looks at movies and upcoming TV shows, as well as entertaining features such as shorts from the Cartoon Network, and advertisements such as M&M's and Coke.
So how is this THE TWENTY treated? Are the lights brought down to show level the same as for the feature? Or do they stay at some pre-show level like is done for slide shows? It sounds like the content for THE TWENTY is much more robust than the painfully tacky slide preshows, making it more like the cartoons and short subjects that were commonly shown before features years ago. But back then the pre-feature film material was considered part of the show and started at the published showtime with the lights going completely out (i.e., to "show" level). You got the sense that the actual program had started. It was pre-feature material, not throwaway slide show stuff. The lights were brought to show level for that attraction reel.

I would think you would similarly need to darken the house completely for this kind of substantial content, even though it is on video not film. People will be focusing on it rather than trying to ignore it as they usually are doing during the slide shows; if the lights were up, I would think that would be quite annoying. With the pre-feature "attraction reel," the lights went out and you got the distinct impression that the "show" had started, not that this was fill until the show starts, as is the case with slide material. Is that how THE TWENTY is presented....as part of the main show or as fill?

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2004 11:05 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,

THE TWENTY is presented the same way the old slides were, with the lights at full. I can see both sides of the issue on this one. I guess they keep the lights up becaue people are still coming in. No one shows up 20 minutes before just to see THE TWENTY.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-10-2004 11:12 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ken Lackner
No one shows up 20 minutes before just to see THE TWENTY.

Regal's ad checkers are (or were) *required* to show up early enough to see the entire preshow. Just had to point that out. [evil]

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2004 11:04 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Stambaugh was the last to post
No one shows up 20 minutes before just to see THE TWENTY.

[Eek!] But I've heard that the announcer on the program encourages people to show up early! [Wink]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-11-2004 05:47 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our preshow music was always a programmed, integral part of the show -- it always ends with a signature tag with the last strains of the music ending exactly at the posted film start time, just being covered by the opening of the WB cartoon audio. Although we only published the start time of the start of the film program, the snipe that promotes the Preshow "concert" says to "Come Early and Hear our Preshow Stereo Rock Concert in Enthraphonic Sound." So the preshow music is used as an audience control device -- enough patrons come prior to show time specifically to hear the music "concert" on the big theatre sound system and that relieves some of the pressure at the BO and concessions of having a big crowd showing up at the same time.

Once a patron complained that we were wasting her time with 15min of "junk," that she didn't come to see (cartoon, attractions, 1 60 sec PSA, and occasionally "Selected Short Subjects"). I mulled over that this patron called our presentation junk, even though we make it a point to tell our patrons that our particular style is to try to recreate a presentation the way theatres used to show films -- a feature or double feature plus all the extras -- a classic film in a classic theatre with classic presentation. If she didn't like that approach, then dagnabit, she should try to go see the classic feature we are playing somewhere else more to her liking. Ha! In fact, I told my associate director to tell her that we don't need her crummy $5 or lousy attitude....in fact, have the staff memorize this woman's face and not to let her into the theatre ever again. JoAnne is much more levelheaded than I, and she told me to calm down, she would handle it (this is why they keep me locked up in the projection booth). She reminded me that a ticket sale is a ticket sale. But the complaint did get us to add the disclaimer that the feature will start approximately 15 minutes after the Cartoon and Attractions to all our promotions.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2004 01:41 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's not enough places doing what you guys do.
I think there should be a lot more attention to these details. More and more theaters are becoming the same as fast food joints.
You come in, expect to get ripped off, get something you didn't really want, grumble through it, maybe something pleases you, and you go home mildly satisfied but hungry in an hour or so.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 07-17-2004 02:07 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 2wenty is a joke. The new tagline is "The Twenty: Entertainment Ignited!" It's just a bunch of television commercials and four main blocked-out sections which serve as extended commercials for whatever sponsors are buying time this week.

It plays with full house lights, and the sound is not all that loud, and many of the auditoriums' L6 projectors are just too dim.

"Did you catch all of the Twenty? If not, try to get to the theatre early. The Twenty ... Entertainment Ignited!"

We also do "concert events" which are satellited in, but these are always just advertising DVD releases, and the show is just the DVD content, with an L6, and crappy sound. I think people wanted refunds after the Rush In Rio we did. Many people (most, probably) have home theatre systems that blow away the L6's, even though they're not technically "projected". They don't even do 5.1 like you can get in home systems now.

Last night we broadcast the Tour de France, live, at 4:00am in auditorium #17. Not sure how it went.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: