Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Showest, upcoming 4k digital battle or 2k vs 4k?

Author Topic: Showest, upcoming 4k digital battle or 2k vs 4k?
Mattias Ohlson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2005 05:55 PM      Profile for Mattias Ohlson   Email Mattias Ohlson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The subject pretty much sums up my question.

contenders
TI dlp , 2k and 4k?
JVC d-ila, 4k
SONY sxrd, 4k

TI might just have reduced mirror size by 20 percent in reducing an xga chip from 0.7 to 0.55. Is 4k coming?

JVC has been very inactive in this market but has had 4k working for years. Are they just timing their entry to the market. I see no sign that they are ignoring the digital cinema market.

SONY has launched at least a press release about 4k sxrd products in Europe.

In my mind the current 4k gang has to show that they can light up a really big screen. They have not shown that to date.

TI has to show that they can do 4k even if they are not really going for it.

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-02-2005 09:52 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you really think 2K vs. 4K will be the real question on exhibitor's minds at this ShoWest? It's not just the technology and the required standards, it's whether someone has come up with a workable business case. Keep watching the Kodak site:

http://www.kodak.com/go/dcinema

Mattias Ohlson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2005 08:55 AM      Profile for Mattias Ohlson   Email Mattias Ohlson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My outsider perspective is as follows.

With regard to digital presentations both 2k and 4k has been accepted.

BUT
The business model is who pays and what is gained for the partners involved. In relation to presenting movies using film or not the business model is central to adoption or not.

However for digital by itself I think the focus should be on getting out 4k in volume. 2k can be used to gain acceptance if that is where the industry wants to go but a broad deployment of 2k is not the best approach in my opinion. Volume in any case is the best way of cutting costs.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-03-2005 09:23 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If a theatre owner can purchase previously enjoyed equipment and equip his theatre to the same standard as brand new, for a fraction of the price then the business model to work is the d cinema must also offer the same incentive not a used lower res system as that isn't part of the 35mm model

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: