Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Digital screen advertising projectors (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Digital screen advertising projectors
Gary Davidson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2004 07:25 PM      Profile for Gary Davidson   Email Gary Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am trying to figure out the number of screens that use digital screen advertising projectors as opposed to the old slide versions. I have been calling around, but companies like NCN and Christie aren't too interested in giving out this information. I discovered Regal has about 4500. Any suggestions of where I can find these numbers. Does anyone know off-hand? Even ballpark?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2004 08:28 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use Toshiba 380's, an LCD projector that, aside from not being too thrifty on replacement bulbs, projectos a pretty good image on screen. We have Unique Screen Media, based out of St. Cloud, MN set these up in our company. If my memory serves me well, half of the Muller theaters in minneapolis use these projectors, along with a five minute DVD program during intermission. www.uniquescreenmedia.com
I know its a small number, but it's there.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 04-30-2005 09:20 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 424 days since the last post.

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2005 09:20 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How does everyone else's video pre-show run. We are getting set-up with a small (im guessing) company that is taking over our slide program. Overall their video production is good, but the way they have integrated it with our projection equipment isnt acceptable.

How do you shut off your video projector when the feature starts. They have us pushing a button on a remote control to turn off the video projector right when we are pushing the start button for the feature, bringing down the house lights, and changing the sound format, all at once. I know we could automate the other things, but we like to do them manually.

How is your start sequence set-up with your pre-show? Im assuming most theatres have the digital projector shut down automated.. just wondering what equipment you have to do this.

This company that is doing this for us hasn't done a ton of theatres, and any suggestions you could give me would be helpful to them im sure. Otherwise we'll have to tell them to pay our theatre tech to come set it up a better way.

Equipment:
Eiki Video projector (not sure of model, but brand new)
Xetron Maxi 8X automation (probably not useful for video projector stuff, but replacement isnt an option as it runs the show fine)
Toshiba Consumer DVD player.

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2005 10:41 PM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The way I have run digital pre shows in a manual set up has been to install a shutter in front of the lens of the video projector. It was attatched to a long rod that ran down to the port window of the 35mm machine where there was a leaver to open and close it. The sound was run through the N/Sync and so the music was faded down and the dvd player started. Open the shutter, once the ads were over shut it and start the 35mm. We actually had it timed to make a proper changeover.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-30-2005 11:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Most video projectors today have a setting on them where you can tell them to self-power down if it loses a signal after a brief delay (commonly 5 minutes). This feature also works in reverse, such that once the video projector sees a signal again, it will self-power on. If this is your case, just buy a Kelmar douser "with Century JJ plate" and cross-wire it with your regular projector's douser, such that when one is open, the other is closed. Then interrupt the video signal going to the projector when you want the projector to power down. The easiest way of doing this is to purchase an inexpensive "AC powered" video switcher (which will do nothing but pass the signal through) and plug that into your pre-existing AC slide outlet. Voila, end of problems, fully automated, VERY reliable, super simple...and of course will work with ANY automation.

Remember, simple is most often better. [thumbsup] Why more people don't do it like this is beyond me. There is simply no reason for overpriced and overly complicated solutions to such a simple issue.

Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2005 12:18 AM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use InFocus projectors, I beleive one is a lp650 and the other 3 are lp820s (will edit when I find correct information). the dvds run on a loop, and the projectors are pluged into an outlet that is switched off when the projector starts. Our sound is running through the n/sync

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-01-2005 12:30 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty retarded. That's going to kill the video projectors.

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2005 12:43 AM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we are using Sanyo units ( I dont remember the model number but I posted it in another thread ).

The Adverts are run by formerly NCN, now Cinemedia. The units are operated by Christies Inc. The units are all synced with our projector automations by some magic process that I havent figured out yet (I am assuming that Pre show system Network and the Automation Networks are linked at the Server level).

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-01-2005 01:16 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Virtually all projector automations provide a "non-sync" circuit that was origionally designed to stop the 8-track music player way back when...nowadays it often switches the slide projector outlet.

We take advantage of this by having a circuit that looks for a held contact and upon seeing that, serially tells the projector to turn on...likewise, when the contact releases, it tells it to turn off (without the stupid "Are you sure you want to power off" message). The transitions are pretty seamless between film and video and video to film.

Ours is semi-custom, Crestron makes a box that will do it if you have the ability to program it and Panalogic makes a unit called the SC100 that can do it.

While Brad's idea is a valid one...I've found that most of the projectors that go into a time-out shut down, will leave the fan blowing continiously waiting for a sync signal to re-appear. One thing that will also kill an LCD projector is dirt getting into the optics and the filters can clog quite easily due to their fine mesh.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-01-2005 04:21 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, you have to call up the manufacturer and talk to someone in their tech department. I am also using Sanyo projectors and whenever I get a new projector in I simply go into the technician's setup menu and tell the fan how long I want it to run after it shuts down.

I don't know if all Sanyo projectors use the same setup codes (I would assume they do), but this is what I use on my PLC-XT10s or 16s...

Fan Speed (increasing this greatly extends lamp life)
  • Hold the Menu/Image button down simultaneously for 3-5 seconds.
  • Scroll to “Group10” using the Menu+ or Image—buttons
  • Scroll top # 4 using the Up or Down arrow buttons
  • Change from 0 to 1 by using the Left or Right buttons
Cool Down Timing (I use option 15)
  • Same as a and b above
  • Scroll to # 3
  • Change to either 1, 3 or 15: 1=30seconds, 3=90seconds, 15=450seconds
I have to ask, how much $$$ does your custom Crestron solution cost?

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2005 04:57 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It really is a retarded setup. When the power gets shut off, so fan gets shut off with the projector. What happens next is the LCD panels start to overheat and warp, thus turning a nice yellow color for all to see.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-01-2005 08:11 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no experience with using video projection for advertising. I do, however, have plenty of experience with doing shows that mix film and video in film festivals.

Does anyone make a video projector of any type that has a real mechanical changeover douser that can be operated with a simple switch closure? I would kill for something like this, as it would allow perfect changeovers from film to video and back. I once ran (by myself) a single program which mixed 16mm, 35mm, Beta, and HD video. This sort of thing is becoming common, and usually requires adding a makeshift douser (a piece of black cardboard operated by a string) to te video projector.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2005 09:18 PM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have installed digital advertising in one cinema , we have a Panasonic PTL 780 digital projector (2000 lumens) which is fed by a media player in the sound rack .
The projector and media player are interfaced into the panalogic automation . All advertising clips are stored as MPEG files on the media player , each MPEG is timed into the automation as the sameas we used to with a slide , on the last clip , wait commands are placed to start projector and then on the first film cue automations puts digital projector onto standby and film onto the screen and of course changing sound from non sync 2 to SR .

This works very well with the only draw back being the digital projector needs 60 seconds to warm globe before it will activate. An inital wait command is placed at show start for 60 seconds , then the projector activates with the opening advert.

Kris Dirix
Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2005 01:35 AM      Profile for Kris Dirix   Email Kris Dirix   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Scott,

We use Barco projectors, they are equipped with a mechanical "douser", it's a kind of curtain (eq same as a shutter in a reflex camera). This is a single touch system and works also very well with the automations.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: