Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Do you use the anamorphic lens when project the Episode 3 by Digital Projector

Author Topic: Do you use the anamorphic lens when project the Episode 3 by Digital Projector
HyunKoo, Kim
Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2005 09:48 PM      Profile for HyunKoo, Kim   Author's Homepage   Email HyunKoo, Kim   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you use the anamorphic lens when project the Episode 3 by Digital Projector?

By Guideline the Episode 3 projection, must use the anamorphic lens.

but, some theaters don't use the anamorphic lens.

Do you need the anamorphic lens in Digial Projector?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-08-2005 12:17 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IF you are using a DCinema projector and IF your screen is a 2.39:1 screen THEN you must use an anamorphic Lens to get the maximum resolution out of your projector.

If you have a 1.3K DLP (5:4 imager) then a 1.9 anamorphic lens will give you the full use of your imager and fill the Scope screen.

Likewise, with the 2K projectors the anamorphic lens will allow all 2048 x 1080 pixels to be used in the imager for the best resoution out of the projector.

However, if you have a constant width screen, then one can omit the anamorphic lens and merely not use the full height of the imager.

The DCinema projectors I've worked with will show Scope films like SW:EP3 with or without anamorphic lenses...you just have to tell the projector if you are using them or not.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-08-2005 03:51 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our Barco 1.3k projectors show the movie from a 1280x1024 source file with a 1.9 anamorphic like Steve said. The original source file is 1920x817 or 819, I don't remember. I do not know what lens factor is used on our 2k units since I didn't set these up, but I will check.

Jean-Pierre Van Hoof
Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2005 09:13 AM      Profile for Jean-Pierre Van Hoof   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Pierre Van Hoof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We run 1920 x 817 fullscreen on a Christie 2000 with a normal lens.
The screen is 10 x 4.50 mtr or something ;-)

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2005 01:36 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the apsect ratio for DLP?

Does it still use both Flat 1.85 and Scope 2.35?

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2005 06:28 AM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the ratios remain the same whether it's film or DLP.

It's a bit worrying that some installs are being done without anamorphic lenses for Scope. In that scenario a 2K image has to be blown up approx. 1.59x in order to fill a common height screen.

Couldn't all machines have an integral lens turret, as with film?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-15-2005 10:44 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brian Guckian
Couldn't all machines have an integral lens turret, as with film?

Those anamorphic lenses are expensive! So when a single spherical lens will do the job, it is a less expensive way to go.

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2005 04:38 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Understood - I guess my concern comes from the fact that some machines don't seem to have any tapped holes etc. for turrets or attachments that would accommodate those anamorphics...in other words it would seem that on some machines you're compelled to use the flat lens in all situations.

But maybe that'll all change as things pan out.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: