Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Disneyland 'Star Tours' - DLP or film?

Author Topic: Disneyland 'Star Tours' - DLP or film?
Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2006 03:43 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just been to DL in Paris and went on the Star Tours simulator there. Does this ride use film?

I notice some vertical movement and some dust but it could be projected digitally from a film transfer. I couldn't imagine a projector and lamphouse surviving the movements of the simulator.

|  IP: Logged

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2006 06:34 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
according to a WDW info link: http://www.wdisneyw.co.uk/atbw.html

quote:
Facts/History
Forty passengers can ride in each of the four 26-ton moving theaters -- actually simulators resembling those used in pilot training -- which provide the sensation of fast movement. All the excitement of a thrill ride is created by combining this movement with the 70mm motion picture footage projected inside the simulator.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 01-12-2006 06:48 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Believe it or not, it's run on a higly modified Ballantyne. I took the tour in Florida some years back and they get up to 5000 runs on the 70mm prints. The color eventually fades which is what leads to a print replacement.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-12-2006 07:05 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam's correct... having personally done many of those venues, I can say that the projectors, using loop cabinets, are indeed modified Ballantyne projectors that will run more than 15,000 passes of film before the print must be replaced. Not due to physical film wear, but to color fade from the UV of the lamp.

Although lately many attractions like in the "Haunted Mansion" ride have been replaced by video, there still are plenty of film effects still used around the parks.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-12-2006 07:15 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
GD Double post! [Smile]

Adam Fuller
Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2006 07:19 PM      Profile for Adam Fuller   Email Adam Fuller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember getting a look at one of the Omnimax setups used for the "Back To The Future" ride at Universal, Florida. The guy mentioned that the film loop had the sequence repeated on it 10 times before it was back at the beginning, to minimise fading etc. Presumably this principle is used on most of these rides??

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-12-2006 07:35 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
While I have been "behind" the Florida "Back To The Future" venue I don't specifically remember it.

I do know that the venue here in Hollywood is a 1570 IMAX system with a loop cabinet that holds ONE show running at 24fps.

I would tend to think that the Florida system would be the same. Especially since it would take an enormous loop cabinet to hold 10 1570 shows running at 337.5 feet/min.

Picture a loop cabinet over 300 ft long. That's more than a US football field.

I don't think so... [Wink]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-12-2006 10:47 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've received samples of Kodak ESTAR base color prints that had been run about 60,000 passes at a theme park. Light fading depends on the lamp power level and amount of UV. Filtering out the UV greatly reduces the rate of fading.

The loop cabinets provide a stable and clean controlled environment, with control of temperature and humidity. There may be on-line cleaning (e.g., PTRs) or some solvent cleaning, but with care, prints normally stay very clean and scratch-free.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 01-13-2006 12:48 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
George Lucas has been actively pushing to get DLP into the capsuls before the next version of the ride rolls out next year.

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2006 03:54 AM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are the projectors mounted in the simulator itself? If they arem surely it's not doing the lamps and lamphouses any good?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-13-2006 05:16 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the projectors are mounted to the front of the simulator...the loop cabinets are mounted at the rear. I was on the same tour as SAM and they let us ride the simulator, then we allowed to be on the outside of the simulator and watch it go through a show....very facinating indeed!

As for the xenon and the lamphouse...remember spot lights use xenons every day and can also me used in a jerky fashion and definately pointed all over the place.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-13-2006 12:05 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 'jerky' motion of those simulators is not nearly as wild'n'crazy as it seems when you're riding it. A lot of the effect comes from the film itself, with an able assist by your brain.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2006 04:12 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI MIKE! Hows everything going?? Say hi to the missus too! I'll be out someday to visit! john

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-13-2006 05:34 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John! Good to see you back on the forums. Yeah, stop by anytime, we're pretty easy to find (usually!)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: