Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » What limits Real-D resolution to under 2k?

Author Topic: What limits Real-D resolution to under 2k?
Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2006 09:09 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I saw the trailer for Monster House (which would be much better released in October) I started thinking about the Real-D system. I remember reading when Chicken Little came out that the resolution wasn't quite 2048 (1700 something rings a bell). even though it was using 2k projectors.

What in the chain is the limiting factor that doesn't let Real-D display full 2K images? Obviously, the DLP chip can handle the frame rate at full resolution because it has to display all the pixels anyway.

|  IP: Logged

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2006 03:59 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually they showed Monster House in RealD at Cinema Expo and I was quite impressed. The RealD experience was introduced by James Cameron himself trying to convince everyone -GO DIGITAL!!!- Well there were limitations as a 2k Projector can only project a RealD image on a Silver Screen and only at a certain size. If you want a screen width greater than 10-15m you have to use 2 projectors to get equivalent light for contrast e.t.c due to those glasses you have to wear. The Monster House though in RealD was actually very impressive using a Christie Digital 2k Projector at Cinema Expo this year. We will see how it goes.
D

Larry Zuverink
Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2006 02:38 PM      Profile for Larry Zuverink   Email Larry Zuverink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the DLP engine can not handle the full resolution of the left and right eye increased frame rate. That it why it must run at a lower resolution.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: