Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Show East Digital Presentation of Happy Feet very unsharp and out of focus (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Show East Digital Presentation of Happy Feet very unsharp and out of focus
Jason Setzer
Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2006 10:26 PM      Profile for Jason Setzer   Email Jason Setzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Sony 4K digital showing of Happy Feet at the AMC Pleasure Island was very out of focus and unsharp. To make matters worse they were having HUGE masking issues throughout the 20 minute presentation.After the presentation I went into the booth only to hear one of the Sony Exec's screaming at the Sony Technician. They told me the presentaion was done on a beta tape and thats what cause the issues. The colors were extremely vivid thought I will give them that.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-28-2006 11:55 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And low and behold they were not..... running it at 4K! Few seem to know that it has not been demonstrated to a large show type crowd at 4K resolution yet! Several Sony prople admitted this to me on the trade show floor! The tech should be questioning himself why he's even working for Sony at this point in time! I wish Sony would have stuck to the Walkman and the Trinitron... two things they were really good at making....

Mark

Jason Setzer
Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2006 12:10 AM      Profile for Jason Setzer   Email Jason Setzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

Doesn't this seem absolutely ridiculous to you that they would try to pull some sh-t like this out with all the movers and shakers being there.

The only part of the presentation that looked good was the 65mm . As far as the masking if they couldn't have perfected before the demo they could have atleast taped the port window to get by

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-29-2006 07:37 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sony had problems demonstrating SDDS at Showest and ran the audio off a tape after putting people in buses and driving them half way across Las Vegas.

They were not ready but seemed to want to buy time so others would not get too far ahead. They seem to be doing the same this time.

They do have their challenge ahead.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-29-2006 08:47 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason, I'm not argueing in their favor... its absolutely obvious they blew it again.

Aam,

Aside from running it off tape or hard drive or what ever they also ran it at what seemed like 110db dialog level... I never knew a Syufy sound system could be so painful!

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-29-2006 10:14 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't witness the trainwreck, but it is exactly as I would have expected.

Same company, same mode of operation. After SDDS I would have thought they would have run for cover. Louis

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 10-29-2006 11:05 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
I never knew a Syufy sound system could be so painful
What theater were you at? Syufy has never had theaters in Florida.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-29-2006 11:21 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sdds trainwreck was in Vegas. Louis

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2006 11:45 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a shame. I feel so bad for them. [Wink]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 10-29-2006 03:44 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I just notice the animateds, but why is it that they do so many high-profile demos with content that was totally born in the computer, rather than real-life stuff that would give you a reference for comparison?

Seems that if they wanted true credibility, there'd be none of that. Still, they show a cartoon and everyone trips over themselves, praising the 'realism' of digital.

I don't get it.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-29-2006 03:48 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beware Sony.

Remember SDDS. Remember DCP's. Remember Betamax, for heaven's sake.

Years ago, when these guys got into the film sound business, I warned everyone on this very forum that Sony was notorious for pulling support on their broadcast equipment at a moments notice -- that they expect their customers to drop everything and buy the flavor of the week -- and that the film business would be no different with them. True to form, they have stuck everyone with useless motion picture equipment and, therefore, I am very wary of their foray into Digital Cinema.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 10-29-2006 05:51 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
With all of the Sony SXRD HD television ads on TV today, I can't help but think that they're more concerned with the home entertainment market. Since Best Buy won't sell a $100,000 television, Sony is trying to shove their new technology down exhibitors' throats to make back their R&D money.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-29-2006 05:59 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Adam Martin
Sony is trying to shove their new technology down exhibitors' throats to make back their R&D money
I bet Sony has put FAR more $$ into R&D for the 4K professional system than they have for the home entertainment version. When you consider not just the projector but the server etc. required to make the projector "go", the 4K theatrical *system* is way more advanced. They'd have to sell a LOT of projectors to ever make their money back. Now if they could actually get some 4K SXRD systems into commercial theaters and if there's some 4K content for it (and I mean more than just animated features), and if it performs spectacularly compared to 2K, that could be good PR for consumer SXRD and move more TVs, thus paying for the R&D. Seems like a lot of ifs though at this point.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-29-2006 08:05 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Stambaugh
When you consider not just the projector but the server etc. required to make the projector "go", the 4K theatrical *system* is way more advanced.
Actually DoRemi has the 4K server... Sony doesn't, they just have the projector. Sony still needs to demo it at 4K to a big group. They will never sell enough to make their $$ back. T.I still has not shown a profit on the D-Cinema stuff. The consumer stuff helps keep it afloat.

quote: David Stambaugh
Now if they could actually get some 4K SXRD systems into commercial theaters
AMC is running some but at 2K.

Mark

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-29-2006 08:25 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stand enlightened. I wonder if any Sony money went into the development of Doremi's 4K-capable server.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: