Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Digital Cinema: Technical Shoot-out The Netherlands (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Digital Cinema: Technical Shoot-out The Netherlands
Bastiaan Fleerkate
Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2007 11:52 AM      Profile for Bastiaan Fleerkate   Author's Homepage   Email Bastiaan Fleerkate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just went to an technical shoot-out organised by CinemaNet Nederland and here is the setup and my thoughts about it...

The first screen had a Christie CP2000x with a DoReMi server.
The second screen had a Barco DP1500 (if I remember it well) and a GDC server
The third had a NEC (the smallest Digital Projector) and a Dolby server.

I watched to the three screens before me an concluded this:

DoReMi servers aren't what I'm looking for. The image was ok, but at times there was a white line across the screen just like a lab splice. The operating system on the server and the lay-out of the screen wasn't clear and easy to understand. The Christie Projector is good, but it makes a lot of noise... the walls of the auditorium must be fitted with extra noise reducing materials before you can switch this thing on. The image was sharp and clear... the best projection of the three projectors.
The GMC server is a good, easy to use server. In the pitch there where several things that came up. NO NOT MY BREAKFAST! The server has to be updated entirely to comply with the DCI standards and the storage isn't done on a separate unit, so if one unit fails, you can't just put another in and let the show go on. The same for the DoReMi server... The Barco Projector was second best in Image quality, but the presentation was very good and there are a few major improvements on the Christie projector. The projector does away with a second anamorphic lens and produces CS (scope) and WS (wide screen) with one lens. It has a closed system, which means less dust and other dirt in the projector and it's a single phase projector. You can plug it in and just run it from your standard electrical socket, you don't have to have a new electrical wire installed...
The last screen had a NEC projector (the smallest DLP projector) with a Dolby server.
The Dolby server is one of the best servers around, from what I've seen this morning. It has a removable storage device, so it's easy to share a movie between 2 screens and it is easy to operate. It is not one unit, so if one is down, you can change it for another one, not having to replace the whole unit (with screen, storage, player). You only will set off an alarm if you open the box ( [evil] ). Dolby also has a wonderful track record with their other products and this means everything is tested to the max and is supported for many years. The pitch was short and very clear... nice!
The NEC projector wasn't nice. I have never seen such a miserable projection. The picture wasn't sharp and clear. There wasn't enough light on the screen and had a keystone like mad. I didn't looked at the projector closely, so I don't know the model, but it wasn't an impressive presentation. Christie and Barco had send some oversized and much to powerful projectors, but NEC had send an underpowered projector. It wasn't able to decently fill the screen and the colour wasn't good. I only wish I could have seen the bigger projectors of NEC in action, because they didn't make a good impression on everybody and they damaged their image with this presentation.

After seeing this all the best marriage is an Barco projector with an Dolby server...this is my opinion so if anybody wants to convince me otherwise...GOOD LUCK!!

I want to thank CinemaNet Nederland for the shoot-out and the catering for the lunch.

Bastiaan, The Netherlands

|  IP: Logged

Christopher Meredith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2007 11:58 AM      Profile for Christopher Meredith   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Meredith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One question: isn't the point of a "server" that you only need one? In other words, isn't it the case that even if you have 20 digital projectors, you should never have to remove the harddrive to share a film with another projector?

Just wondering...

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2007 12:14 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bastiaan Fleerkate
DoReMi servers aren't what I'm looking for. The image was ok, but at times there was a white line across the screen just like a lab splice. The operating system on the server and the lay-out of the screen wasn't clear and easy to understand. The Christie Projector is good, but it makes a lot of noise... the walls of the auditorium must be fitted with extra noise reducing materials before you can switch this thing on. The image was sharp and clear... the best projection of the three projectors.
My experience with the Doremi/CP2000 has been very different from yours. First of all I'm runing AccessIT's software which is apparantly different in some minor ways from the defualt (Cinelister?) package. The white line you are talking about, was that on the server screen or projected on the movie screen? Never seen that.

As for the CP200, I would agree about it putting out a bright and clear image, but as far as noise I couldn't disagree more. We noticed a marked decrease in noise from our Christie SLC lamphouses. In fact I have a hard time telling if a digital projector is on sometimes by looking at it, I need to move to an angle where I can see the light coming through the vents on the side of the projector.

Why do companies always screw up demos? You'd think they'd try to impress potential customers.

Bastiaan Fleerkate
Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2007 12:56 PM      Profile for Bastiaan Fleerkate   Author's Homepage   Email Bastiaan Fleerkate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The white line was on the screen. Not the one in the server, but the one you would normally have in your auditorium.
The Christie projector was the loudest of them all. I could clearly hear the fans all over the place. The Barco also wasn't silent, but if you stood at the left side of the projector the sound was not to bad. If I stood at either side of the Christie projector I couldn't hear anything else (mildly exaggerated). The NEC was as good as silent.

You need to have one server and storage device(as I call it, the thing that is connected to the projector and is sending the picture to it. This unit is also connected to the internet via a high speed ADSL line) per screen. Otherwise you would have major screw ups when the server is down and out...

[ 03-20-2007, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Bastiaan Fleerkate ]

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 03-20-2007 01:44 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The NEC projector wasn't nice. I have never seen such a miserable projection. The picture wasn't sharp and clear. There wasn't enough light on the screen and had a keystone like mad. I didn't looked at the projector closely, so I don't know the model, but it wasn't an impressive presentation. Christie and Barco had send some oversized and much to powerful projectors, but NEC had send an underpowered projector.
According to their website NEC make three models of projector. Was the one you saw all black, with carrying handles at the bottom front and back, much smaller than the Christie machine, and no connection to an extaction system? If so, then it sounds like the NC800, the model which we have. We also have a keystoning problem with our machine, but it is installed way off axis, for reasons that I described in another thread. I would say that the NEC machine prooduces a picture at least as good as the larger machines which I have seen, if it is used on a screen of appropriate size.

It struck me how bright the projector is; it's running below maximum lamp output on our very small screen. We actually get more light per Watt than we do with film The lamp is only 1.25kW, and its intended for use on screens of up to about eight metres, if I remember correctly. How big was the screen on which you saw it used? If singificantly bigger than this then either NEC supplied an unsuitable machine, or whoever arranged the event requested an unsuitable one, or did not correctly state the size of screen on which it would be used. If it was being used on a screen of suitable size then there would seem to be several possibilities; the projector was faulty, it was badly set up, it was being fed with poor quality material, it was being used in high ambient light conditions, etc. If it was deing demonstrated on the same size screen as the larger machines then I would expect it to produce an underlit picture, or for the others to produce an over-bright one.

Were all three projectors being demonstrated with the same source material, on the same screen surface, at the same projection angle, and under the same ambient lighting conditions? If not, then any comparison between them is not very meaningful.

DoReMi servers aren't what I'm looking for. The image was ok, but at times there was a white line across the screen just like a lab splice.
A white line sounds like a fault, but since each projector was demonstrated with a different server, how can you tell whether it was the rojector or the server, or come to that the material loaded onto the server, which was at fault?

Bastiaan Fleerkate
Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2007 02:12 PM      Profile for Bastiaan Fleerkate   Author's Homepage   Email Bastiaan Fleerkate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If so, then it sounds like the NC800, the model which we have. We also have a keystoning problem with our machine, but it is installed way off axis, for reasons that I described in another thread. I would say that the NEC machine produces a picture at least as good as the larger machines which I have seen.
It was the NC800 and the projectors was directly in front of an 6 to 8 meter wide screen.
The three screens were side by side with an curtain hanging between them. In a dark studio.

quote: Stephen Furley
or for the others to produce an over-bright one.
The other projectors were far better with colour and brightness. The projectors were set like they would do in a cinema, with proper measuring material.

Were all three projectors being demonstrated with the same source material, on the same screen surface, at the same projection angle, and under the same ambient lighting conditions?
Yes
quote:
A white line sounds like a fault, but since each projector was demonstrated with a different server, how can you tell whether it was the projector or the server, or come to that the material loaded onto the server, which was at fault?
The same content was used for every projector and server. When they wanted to show us the loading of a movie something went wrong and they couldn't rectify it in a few minutes. When hooked up to a laptop the projector didn’t show this white line. With the demo of ‘Buddha’s lost Children’ the white line was gone.
quote:
, it was being fed with poor quality material,
The NEC was hooked up to the Dolby server. I don't think it would be the servers fault in this case. The content was full HD

It struck me how bright the projector is; it's running below maximum lamp output on our very small screen. We actually get more light per Watt than we do with film The lamp is only 1.25kW
From what I was told, all of the digital cinema projectors are using less power then a xenon in a 35mm projector. Barco uses a 3000 watt lens that looks like a 6000 watt. This means a drop of 3000 watt on you power supply.

I hope I answered the questions...

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 03-20-2007 02:35 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was the NC800 and the projectors was directly in front of an 6 to 8 meter wide screen.
The three screens were side by side with an curtain hanging between them. In a dark studio.

Well, that is within the intended scren size range of the NEC projector. I've only seen one feature and a few trailers on the NEC, but that hasn't been my experience with it. Maybe the projector you saw wss faulty, or badly set up, or NEC overestimate the screen size that the machine is suitable for, or I was just lucky with the very limited material I have seen, and I will be disappointed with other things that I see on it in future; I don't know.

From what I have heard the reverse was the case; a cinema running 4-4.5kW with 35mm was needing to use 6 kW with digital. Maybe that was with the older systems, and the newer 2k ones are more efficient?

Bastiaan Fleerkate
Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2007 02:40 PM      Profile for Bastiaan Fleerkate   Author's Homepage   Email Bastiaan Fleerkate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is what the Barco man ensured me. There is a new DLP chip that used the light better than the older chips.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2007 02:58 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If we just stuck to film, we would not be arguing as to which Digital projector is better!
FILM RULES

Bastiaan Fleerkate
Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2007 03:01 PM      Profile for Bastiaan Fleerkate   Author's Homepage   Email Bastiaan Fleerkate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FILM RULES!!!!

I couln't agree more...

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2007 03:38 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the storage isn't done on a separate unit, so if one unit fails, you can't just put another in and let the show go on. The same for the DoReMi server..
The DoReMi servers I have seen have a 3 disk RAID array for storage, and two power inputs.

If one of the drives fails it should carry on working happily and another drive can be inserted easily.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2007 03:44 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark is correct on the Raid settup of the Doremi.

All I can say for your experience Bastiaan is the demo team made a very poor showing of the CP2000/Doremi setup, none of the problems you mention have happened in the nearly 9 months I've been working with this setup up. Regarding the noise issue specifically, when we got our additional 6 digital projectors in February (half of our 12 plex was converted last July) we noticed a marked decrease in noise (not saying the initial 6 were noisy, far from it) to the point that you can barely hear the bulb strike unless you are right next to the projector.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2007 03:49 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had seen at Cinema Expo the Dolby server with a Kinoton Digital projector and it was quite impressive. I also saw the small Nec Projector and a Barco one (I do not recall Models). Kinoton was by far much better than any. I am really interested though to see the Cinemeccanica CMC3 D2 Digital Projector in action. Has anyone had any experience with it?
Demetris

Bastiaan Fleerkate
Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2007 03:50 PM      Profile for Bastiaan Fleerkate   Author's Homepage   Email Bastiaan Fleerkate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Hajducki
The DoReMi servers I have seen have a 3 disk RAID array for storage, and two power inputs.

If one of the drives fails it should carry on working happily and another drive can be inserted easily.

You can't swap them yourself. (or are they behind the right closed door?)

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-20-2007 03:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
FILM RULES!!!!
Not for long though.... film is very archaic and of course now obsolete!

Here in Salt Lake City area there are close to 50 digital screens and Barco definately has the worst track record of the three projectors.
Your shoot out was obviously just thrown together. Also you need to know if the Christie had the new .8" T.I imaging chip set or was it the older 1.2 chip set???? The new chip set looks better.... NEC has the more efficient optical system of all of them. Ya can't blame them on the keystoning problem.... apparently the other companies were allowed better projection angles.... there is no key stone correction in D-C.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: