Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » (DLP) Barco ACS-2048 & 480i via Component...

Author Topic: (DLP) Barco ACS-2048 & 480i via Component...
Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 02-13-2008 01:22 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have an LG BD-200 "SuperBLU" multi-format DVD player. It plays HDDVD and BluRay Discs at 1080i just fine. We have it connected to our Barco ACS-2048 Scaler via component video.

The trouble is, when you insert a standard definition DVD, the player automatically adjusts its output resolution to 480i. The scaler tries to lock onto the signal after a few seconds and automatically adjusts its input to 480i as well, however it looks like it tries to read it as an S-video source instead of a component source. The status screen reads 480i Y/C.

The result is that on screen I see two squished images side by side, sometimes with strange color.

Has anyone else experienced this, and does anyone know what the solution is?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-13-2008 01:55 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ACS is kinid of chasing its tail so to say. I would take the LG player back and get one that you can "Fix" in a desired output mode as such it will need to be able to upconvert regular dvd's to 1080. The LG should be able to stay set at 1080 but it may not have the upconvert feature that most HD players have. I suspect its letting the television autoswitch to 480 for you when you're just watcing regular dvd disks.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-13-2008 06:04 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me begin with, I have not worked with the ACS-2048 yet but it appears to be built along the lines of the Folsom Image Pro HD...which I have worked with.

If it is like the Folsm stuff (or even the Barco ACSARs), then it will create a file for each frequency/scan rate it encounters to know how to handle that signal if it encounters it again.

You should be able to TELL the ACS 2048 to use YUVi putting the 480i signal on it and then setting the input type to YUVi (component, interlaced)....note, it might be called Y,Pr,Pb. Try saving that input configuration so that next time it has that file to refer to and see if it doesn't come back properly every time then.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: