Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » lowest digital screen resolution before noticeable quality loss

Author Topic: lowest digital screen resolution before noticeable quality loss
Gary Davidson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2008 10:53 AM      Profile for Gary Davidson   Email Gary Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With 2K digital cinema the standard is 2048 X 1080 resolution, at 24 frames per second.

Just curious, but what is the lowest screen resolution I could push through that same digital projector before I saw noticeable image quality loss? Where would I bottom out?

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-13-2008 11:11 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's different variables that come into play with that question (screen size, viewing distance, types of imagery being shown, etc.)

Even at the highest settings, you may be able to see limitations in the 2K format itself. I find its limits most noticeable when lettering and other kinds of graphics are displayed on screen, especially scrolling end credits. If the focus level is properly sharp you will see evidence of that pixel grid if you get within a few rows of the screen.

Lower resolution video or computer sources can be displayed through these projection systems. You just have to make sure the audience doesn't expect to see 2K d-cinema image quality with the material.

Gary Davidson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2008 12:17 PM      Profile for Gary Davidson   Email Gary Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious has anyone thrown up a 1.3 megapixel cellphone image just for the hell of it to see what would happen? Would it be a readable image? What about a 2.0 or 4.0 megapixel image?

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2008 12:38 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The full imaging chip in a 2K projector is only about 2.2 Megapixels.

Gary Davidson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2008 12:48 PM      Profile for Gary Davidson   Email Gary Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so my 2 megapixel iPhone has approximately the same image data as one frame of 2K digital?

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2008 07:16 PM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has roughly the same amount of pixels but not always the same capabilities when it comes to data compression. Quality of an image is affected by much more than just it's pixel count.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-13-2008 10:15 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just about any picture taken with a cellular phone is going to have marginal image quality at best. Blown up onto a movie screen using a 3 chip 2K DLP projector, the crappyness is just going to be amplified.

Kyle Anderson
Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2008 11:00 PM      Profile for Kyle Anderson   Email Kyle Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^ It'll look crappy because of digital signal boost noise (ala the fuzzy random colors in dark areas) and cheap optics.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2008 11:10 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are running 2K images on an 18m screen and the image quality is awesome. We also run 1.3K projectors in a couple of other smaller auditoriums and the image is underwhelming to say the least. Granted we're not running Christie CP2000's in those other auditoriums but the pixelation is a lot more noticeable even on the smaller screens. We've never run 1.3K programs through the Christies

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: