Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Digital cinema & closed captioning

Author Topic: Digital cinema & closed captioning
Fred Tucker
Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2008 01:13 AM      Profile for Fred Tucker   Email Fred Tucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the rapid growth of digital cinema on the rise, is there a techology out that allows for MoPix type closed cationing or discriptive audio? All of the DLP's that I have worked with were hooked up to Dolby 650 processors and nothing else.

|  IP: Logged

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2008 01:47 AM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know closed captions are still being worked on. Open captions however are supposed to be possible out of the box without extra hardware.

A theatre here in Mi recently ran a descriptive audio feature, but I'm not sure if they used the digital projector or a 35mm print.

Mike Renlund
Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2008 12:46 PM      Profile for Mike Renlund   Email Mike Renlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a long meeting with the folks from WGBH in Boston, that manage the Mopix system. It appears that DOREMI has a solution at this moment. But the other equipment manufacturers are waiting for a completed standard (SMPTE or otherwise), before they put people on it. I am actively after Dolby and WGBH to get some further work done on this.

There are a couple of options in getting the system running on digital cinema.

1: A fully redesigned system that works on digital cinema.

2: Some kind of interface to get a timecode out of the digital cinema system that would drive the DTS CSS unit or XD10 with a CSS option.

Not quite sure which method will come first.

I will keep people posted here and at www.digitalcinematics.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: