Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » "D" or "E"-Cinema... which one? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: "D" or "E"-Cinema... which one?
Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-11-2001 02:29 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, guys, what are we calling it, "D-Cinema" (digital cinema) or "E-Cinema" (electronic cinema)?

I've heard both monikers used interchangeably. Kodak and Technicolor, among others, have been calling it D-Cinema.

Which term do you think is more descriptive, and less colloquial?

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-11-2001 02:57 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I were to choose between the two I would say D-Cinema. Personaly from the various opinions I have read on these threads I would have to say C-Cinema (crap cinema)

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 03-11-2001 03:20 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>Which term do you think is more descriptive, and less colloquial?<<

Easy. VIDEO.

A rose by any other name...

Vive Le FILM!!!

Aaron

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-11-2001 03:35 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neither term is very good. "Electronic cinema" could just as well be used to describe a Kinoton or Sondor machine projecting 35mm with an electronic intermittent. "Digital cinema" uses that 'magic marketing word' (digital), but isn't really descriptive and ignores the fact that even though the "movie" may be stored in digital form on a disk array, the light reflected off the screen is still analog.

I think I prefer "electronic cinema" myself or, more specifically, "electronic projection," but that's just a personal preference.

The term "television" (or, possibly "big screen television") also makes sense in this context.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-11-2001 04:05 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The marketing people really need to come up with a phrase that clearly means 'projected from a digital source which is specifically intended for big-screen projection (i.e. of a higher quality than broadcast video formats)'. 'Electronic projection' could mean Beta SP (i.e. an analogue, electronic recording format). Equally, 'digital cinema' could mean the projection of a consumer DVD - neither phrase in itself specifically describes a picture quality designed to match that of 35mm film.

I took a ferry to Denmark just before Christmas which claimed to have a 'cinema' on board. This so-called 'cinema' showed 'films' from a VHS tape projected on an ancient CRT video projector on a 5 x 3 pull-down screen.

My biggest fear about electronic cinema is that once the gold standard of film has gone and a new generation comes along who never saw any real film, cinemas on dry land will start doing the same thing in the cynical (and probably correct) belief that 9 out of 10 customers won't know the difference.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-11-2001 05:11 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Believe it or not we live in an analog world and it will always be an analog world. Don't get me wrong you can have digital sources but all it boils down to is a bunch of ones and zeros. As we all know in an analog world there is always going to be problems. CD's get scratched or finger prints on them cause problems. And the digital source requires an analog conversion. This conversion can cause problems if the digital source is not perfect. In digital projection you have many problems that can occur. The tiny little mirrors that reflect the light can become damaged causing spots on the screen. Dirty lenses, port windows even the type of screen itself can effect the quality. We get lost in thinking that digital is perfect but it's not. We can't go on believing or start believing that there will not be major problems with this format. How about a sold out show for the next star wars movie when the digital info becomes corrupted for some reason. Nothing is full proof. They talk about security and encryption. But the piracy could be occuring in their own back yard. with hand held camcorders becomeing so small you could film it right off the screen. Even if a lot of problems are not occuring right now does not mean they will not happen in the future. Call it what you will it is still analog.

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2001 05:12 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tim! Greetings from MI
Any "E-" term is usually used to decribe a business or activity via the internet. If the term e-cinema is used it will undoubtedly confuse people (they will think it is on-line, not a "real" movie theater)
Given the choice of "e" or "d" I would choose to call it "Digital Cinema"
Other possibilities:
"Digital Film"
"Digital Movie"
"Digital Motion Picture"
"Next Generation Cinema"
"21st Century Cinema" (Fox may not like that one )
Jonathan Bartow

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2001 05:47 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neither term is correct or appropriate. Call it what it is-----VIDEO.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-11-2001 05:59 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You hit the nail on the head Ken. Don't even think about using the word film in this context. Film is celluloid you can hold it see thru it and project it. Digital is a bunch of 1's and 0's.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 03-11-2001 07:56 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I called it VIDEO first!!!

-AS

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-11-2001 10:20 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about that Aaron. You did hit the nail first. Ken just counter sunk it.

Larry Shaw
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2001 11:31 AM      Profile for Larry Shaw   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Shaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just call it "TV", mainly because it gets a rise from the marketing weasels.

BTW, Kinoton has used the term "E-Cinema" for their electronic film projectors.

-Larry

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2001 05:00 PM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Ken, it's VIDEO. I hope future
product doesn't start looking (and sounding) like the quality of the afternoon TV soaps.
Maybe future "video-goers" won't be
sophisticated enough to know what they
are missing

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2001 06:04 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You wouldn't call it a "movie theater" anymore. It would be called a "video format public assembly building" and you would be exhibiting videos. It would be like watching the big screen tv in the tavern. Instead of Monday night discount or tightwad Tuesday you could have "peanut night" or sell beer and pretzels in the snack bar to take back to your couch in "living room # 10".

Mark Lucas
Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2001 10:50 PM      Profile for Mark Lucas   Email Mark Lucas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever people call it it's still pictures on a screen to me. Hopefully solid, stable and without any visable artifacts.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: