Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Here's a shocker about D-Cinema! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Here's a shocker about D-Cinema!
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-20-2003 10:34 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
From SHOWBIZDATA.com

DIGITAL PROJECTORS LYING IDLE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Despite George Lucas's energetic efforts to persuade movie theater owners to convert to digital projection to show last year's Star Wars: Episode II --Attack of the Clones, few theaters have bothered to convert since the film was released and those that previously did have been offered few other films to run in digital format since then, Britain's Guardian newspaper reported today (Thursday). The newspaper quoted Katharine Wright, an analyst for the U.K.-based Dodona, which monitors international exhibitors, as saying: "In America, a lot of cinemas got digital projectors for Attack of the Clones. Since then, not very much has happened because [the projection equipment] is expensive and there aren't enough digital films to make it worthwhile."

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-21-2003 07:27 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Link to the Guardian story...

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 08:19 AM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The news I heard from ShowWest was that no digital projection company has sold any digital projection to any theatre chain except for a couple in Europe. All the ones that are out there are on a loan basis. There's a theory that these companies will go belly-up before anyone does by them.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-21-2003 08:32 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't surprise me a bit.....hardly shocking either. It is exactly what I've been saying all along. IN light of new projectors being introduced from at least three manufacturers at Showorst I also think they have awoken to that fact as well.
Mark @ CLACO

Patrick McDonough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 08:37 AM      Profile for Patrick McDonough   Email Patrick McDonough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I might be a bit slow but how can digital company's expect to make good sales with this new equipment, when it costs so much. Another question is how long have the digital projectors been out on the market?

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 10:14 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had three titles already this year.

DareDevil
Jungle Book 2
Piglet's Big Movie

Was supposed to have DreamCatcher but the studio reversed
it's decision at the last minute.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-21-2003 10:25 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At ShoWest, there was a gentleman from Microsoft who said during the digital cinema seminar that future digital screenings would run on Windows Media Player.
This, for a change, is a completely serious post.

Patrick McDonough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 10:52 AM      Profile for Patrick McDonough   Email Patrick McDonough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really, I cant imagine projecting a movie from that kind of program.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-21-2003 10:53 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just imagine it... the nailbiting conclusion to an edge-of-seat suspense thriller is approaching, and just as you're about to find out whodunnit, the picture freezes and the words 'This programme has performed an illegal operation and will now be closed down' appear in front of 500 customers. [Mad]

Will Big Bad Bill be paying for all those refunds?

Patrick McDonough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 11:00 AM      Profile for Patrick McDonough   Email Patrick McDonough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats the kind of problems im talking about. [Big Grin]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-21-2003 12:04 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael - The Microsoft system, in partnership with Digital Cinema Systems, is using the Windows Media 9 codec. The feature is compressed to approximately 5GB and as you'd expect, the picture quality apparently isn't all that great. A few people on the forum have used the system and have had some input on software revisions.

Leo - at least the audience would know why the show stopped. [Smile]

Personally I believe that the current digital release schedule can only really support one full time digital auditorium per theatre (which doesn't have any nearby 'digital competition').

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-21-2003 02:57 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used and worked with the Microsoft/Windows contraption. I was not impressed. This system would be fine for "slide shows" during intermission, but should never be used for features. The compression looks like an internet MPEG download. [puke]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-21-2003 02:59 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, DCS should have partnered with Apple instead -- all the trailers are already encoded. [Big Grin]

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 03-21-2003 03:33 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
QuickTime all the way!

That would make it easy for a ill-intentioned projectionist. Simply plug an ipod into your DCinema projector and download the movie for later internet posting!

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 04:52 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I see the basic problem for Digital Projector Manuf. is...that there is really no economical reason to change over to a different format. This isn't like going from an 8-track to an MP3. We're not getting better here. Film is by far the best quality and most reliable form of media for the motion picture industry. It's been around for 100 + years and has been standardize Worldwide for 75 years. The biggest problem that they will encounter is the "Theatre Owner" ,be it a chain or indep. It doesn't make any business sense that you change to a different format when the current format will produce better results. And the bootm line is, no customer will pay more to see it or do they even care about it. So unless these companies are willing to give up the projectors for free, NO One will buy them. And this leaves only one group of people in the industry that will make the money from it: the distributors. Now I ask you. In a business where you're forking over 85% of the grosses to the distributor in the first place, why would you make it even easier for them to make more money off of you and you are gonna pay to do the change?

[ 03-22-2003, 08:02 AM: Message edited by: Bernie Anderson Jr ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: