Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DLP & D-ILA @ 2K

Author Topic: DLP & D-ILA @ 2K
Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-10-2003 04:18 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Were these units shown at Sho-East? If so did anyone see a demo who can offer a review? I note that JVC has plans for 3K chips.

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 10-10-2003 05:10 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barco had the DP100 2K projector in operation on the ShowEast tradeshow floor. The unit was bought off the floor by a cinema owner at the end of the show. I was part of a small group of USA based personel who traveled to Belgium in early September to see this unit and smaller models in operation. Viewing this on a 19 meter screen at Kinepolis cinema, the result was far superior to the film presentation I saw that evening on 35mm to the general public that evening. The modular contruction of the DP100 chassis will allow this unit to be field upgraded but the existing results at 2K is competitive or better than the quality we receive on most 35mm prints being manufactured today...how many people ever get to see a daily or answer print which of course looks better. JVC and other companies are working on higher resolution but there has to be a cost to benefit ratio to every business model. I love, and personally shoot my projects in 35mm, but I also like to settle down and watch a good show well presented.

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2003 08:27 PM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also saw the Barco presentation that Richard mentioned. As Barco was right across the aisle from us, I got to spend a lot of time watching their presentation. It was nothing short of spectacular. It was like looking through a spotlessly clean window into reality.

I am sad to say that I don't see films presented anywhere close to that quality in some theaters I attend.

Now bear in mind, the projection was on a screen maybe 8 feet wide, but even in very bright scenes at a distance of less than a foot, I could just barely make out the pixel structure.

Contrast was good as far as I could tell in the brightly lit convention hall (obviously not a good place to judge contrast). Colors were very true, at least to my uncalibrated eyeballs. Focus was exceedingly sharp, and light uniformity looked right on the money.

The exhibitor that bought the unit is about 2 hours from me, and when he gets it installed I intend to go see it on a bigger screen (42 feet I think). After that, I can give a better report on what it can do in more realistic situations.

It was VERY impressive. I would not mind having one at home. Now if only had $150,000.00 ......

The unit on display had several video format plug-in cards and the d-cinema server built in. It would accept rgb, s-video, ntsc video, and others. I am not really too knowledgeable about all the various input formats, but it seemed very versatile.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-10-2003 08:32 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With respect to the guy who bought the demo unit off the floor: what does he plan to show on it? Where is he going to get movies in some unspecified digital format? [Confused]

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2003 08:41 PM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't propose to speak for him, but I believe his plans are to show alternative pre-show content in addition to any d-cinema feature releases. I think he is also planning to show such things as sporting events, concerts, etc. that he will somehow license to present. But I am not in any way invloved in his business (except as a vendor of sound equipment), and I really don't know any of this for certain. This is just talk I heard at the show, so don't take it as gospel, take it as gossip [Smile]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-10-2003 09:00 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oscar you mean Norm didn't give you that raise? [Big Grin]

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2003 09:47 PM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon,

He told me to just go stand outside in the sun and that I would get plenty of rays.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-11-2003 05:03 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oscar said:
quote:
believe his plans are to show alternative pre-show content in addition to any d-cinema feature releases. I think he is also planning to show such things as sporting events, concerts, etc.
That sounds like a lot of work for an exhibitor. Going after alternative content. If the event/concert promoter is not offering prepackaged download, that means this exhibitor is going to have to spend a lot of time negotiating to get access to alternative video production sources. It's not going to be like picking up the phone and calling a distributor to book a film. Sporting events and concert promoters all have non-theatrical outlets already contracted, many exclusively with their traditional outlets; he will be competing with them and have to convince the owners that his venue would be lucrative enough for them to consider, something that would be a very hard sell, I would think.

We are an exhibitor with an ideal venue for things like concerts, Broadway shows, etc., -- a performing arts facility with a fairly large capacity (2500 seats) and we routinely mount a wide variety of productions. I find 1) there is a dearth of prepackaged events that are offered for exclusive exhibition locations, and 2) when such rare events such as very unique music concerts the producers want venues with huge seating capacities, which put us out of the game before we even start. How big is the theatre this fellow is putting his video projector into? Of late, I haven't seen anyone offering live streaming video simulcasts to small exhibitors.

Years ago, in the mid-80s we presented close circuit fights. The producers in Las Vegas sold the rights to venues such as ours and we used the three tube CRTs and rear screens -- primitive, but effective and very, very lucrative. It was a very nitch-driven demographic and the producers tightly controlled the venues so as not to over saturate the locations. As soon as pay-per-view became a viable alternative for what could be considered those first D-Cinema exhibitions, that was the end of our foray into D-Cinema exhibition. The producers told us that the money they could make with pay-per-view, cable and satellite transmission was exponentially greater than all the theatrical outlets they had used heretofore. We thought we could still do good business running simultaneously with the other outlets, but found that whereas we used to get guaranteed full houses before pay-per-view, attendance dropped to below break-even the last two times we tried to compete. Sadly,p-p-v, cable and satellite sucked the life out of alternative programming for us -- they've pretty much killed the goose that laid those golden eggs for the small exhibitor, and don't see that a different kind of video projector is going to change that.

So where are all the alternative program sources already prepackaged and with a viable economic model that can give the exhibitor a profit margin that will make buying the exhibition rights a reasonably lucrative investment? If history teaches us anything, it's that distributors want most of the gate, I don't understand why anyone would think that buying a concert would be more lucrative than buying a blockbuster movie? And I don't understand why an exhibitor would think that the owner of the concert rights will be more generous than the distributor who owns the rights to the blockbuster movie. The poducer/distributor is going to want as much of the gate as he does now -- 90% which still leaves the exhibitor with his new D-projector trying to eek out a living on his concessions sales.

So now reality hits and your friend who just bought that projector finds there is little out there in the way of product, and this thing that people seem to think is a magic profit bullet which they call alternative programming is pretty much a nonstarter. And so he looks to go back to what he really knows how to buy and sell, which is movies. And there, as Scott notes, he finds very few of the releases are available in digital form, at least not at this time. So what to do. Well, if he's lucky, he still has a second port window where he can stick a 35mm projector so he can at least put something on the screen.

And as for all that talk that I have heard about D-Cinema being used to pull in audiences on the off-ours when film audience typically are nowhere to be found, I really think that is grossly optimistic -- there are good reasons that people don't come to the theatre at 10 am on Monday mornings, and it has nothing to do with program content. There is nothing on the planet that could be digitally streamed to a D-Cinema that will bring in an audience at that off-time. As for the idea that the video projection could be used for business conferences, selling time to corporations....does anyone seriously think there is enough demand from businesses for this kind of rental to make it profitable for an exhibitor? Not unless his theatre also has conference rooms and a host of other services that go with video conferencing.

Sorry, but I think it will be a long, long time before the investment in that digital projector is amortized, if ever.

Frank

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 10-11-2003 09:42 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank you sound like the chicken that was so tired after she laid the egg, she hid the egg for fear that it would hatch and she would go through the ordeal again...... [Big Grin] In 1974 - 75 two partners and myself built an experimental 100 seat video ( pre-historic digital ) cinema. I had to develop the projection system, playback with automation and copy protection, film chain system; while my partners took care of the negotiation of rights for transfer and operations......hard work but the location made a profit.
I was recently talking to a Film-Tech member who noted that a client made good money promoting alternative content......so I wish the purchaser of the BARCO good business.
The BARCO ACSAR switcher, which can work with the DP100, with adaptive scaling to allow any format of video / digital format to be shown. The server that they where using in the booth was from GDC which is an open software based server which can handle SD / HD 1.2 + 2k digital playback. EVS, QuBitz are other popular servers.
Software and standards will drive the market as it has done in the past through media / entertainment history.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: