Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Techniscope in DLP

Author Topic: Techniscope in DLP
Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-01-2004 11:07 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The director's cut reissue (wasn't it his cut all along? [Confused] ) of George Lucas' THX-1138 includes a D-Cinema version which I saw last night. Looked decent enough. With the tiny 2-perf o-neg DLP projection is probably not a limitation as it didn't look much different than other D-cinemas show's I've seen and (of course) sharper than something shot in [dlp] like Episode 2.

This particular venue (AMC River East 21, Chicago, screen 4) had significant side cropping of their Scope DLP image (enough to crop some credits).

Mid movie things looked quite soft for about a minute or two. Maybe just the source although I would think with Techniscope you'd always have at least sharp grain. Do DLP projectors ever go out of focus as the optics warm up?

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-01-2004 12:04 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Kraus
Mid movie things looked quite soft for about a minute or two. Maybe just the source although I would think with Techniscope you'd always have at least sharp grain. Do DLP projectors ever go out of focus as the optics warm up?

Would anyone actually try to adjust focus during a presentation? Someone accidently bumped the lens and had to refocus?

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-01-2004 06:56 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone else who was there didn't notice anything out of focus so perhaps that's just how the "film" looked.

Matt Kleiber
Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2004 08:03 PM      Profile for Matt Kleiber   Email Matt Kleiber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had the same problem at Eden Prairie 18 in Minnesota. It wasn't extremely serious but I found it annoying.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2004 09:54 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I don't think that I ever had focus drift during the show. And I turn the bulb off between shows. Sounds like a source issue to me.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-02-2004 10:52 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, or the eyes of the beholder. [Eek!]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-05-2004 01:35 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Kraus
The director's cut reissue (wasn't it his cut all along?
Haha! I've always maintained that, unless he's pulled off the picture or otherwise leaves, it's always a director's cut!

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-05-2004 08:20 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, not really. If the distributor is insisting on a cut under so many minutes or must achieve some classification rating, or there simply isn't enough time to do the job well, or the producer is pulling rank and wants it cut a certain way...or or or or. Just because the director didnt walk or get fired doesn't necessarily mean that the film is fully what he wanted. Life is full of compromises.

This was early in Lucas' career so I don't know if what came out originally was what he wanted. I've only seen clips before so don't know what, if anything, was different.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: