Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DLP Projector recommendations

Author Topic: DLP Projector recommendations
Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2004 09:58 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am doing some research on a potential DLP projector purchase.The Christie Roadster S6 has come highly recommended, but there are some Panasonics with similar specs that come in at half the price. I've looked at specifications, but I am looking for some experience based recommendations.

Our throw distance is 66'. Our 4:3 image size is a bit over 15'x20', but we need some flexibility in a zoom lens. We are looking at projectors rated at at least 5000 ANSI Lumens.

I appreciate any input. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-02-2004 11:56 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might also look at the BARCO SLM G8 (XGA resolution) and the BARCO SLM R8 (SXGA resolution like the S6). The G8 and R8 are 8000 lumen projectors.

However, depending on screen type and needed use (how high is the ambient light) a 4000 lumen projector may be more appropriate. BARCO has the RLM G5. If we were pricing the systems, the G5 with the appropriate lens (throw ratio of 3.3 for a 4:3 screen) would be a bit less than half of the cost of the G8 projector.

Steve

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2004 12:27 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not going for a DLP Cinema machine???

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2004 12:40 PM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're using a few Panasonic 7600s for alternative content in preview rooms - add the high contrast lenses and they are close to D cinema in every way except price.. Contrast and resn both exceed first generation D cinema

Bevan Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2004 12:56 PM      Profile for Bevan Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bevan Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it were my money, I get one of these...

Panasonic also introduced the widescreen PT-DW7000U and high-resolution PT-D7700 3-chip large venue DLP projectors.

The Panasonic projectors are intended for fixed installations and public display venues including independent cinema, live events, educational institutions, staging, and public advertising as well as premium home theatre applications. The heavy-duty PT-DW7000U/D7700U are also perfect for mission-critical environments such as 24-hour-a-day command and control centers. In addition, the native 16:9 PT-DW7000U offers a versatile presentation style where XGA graphics and high definition video can be combined on one screen.

The PT-DW7000U offers more than 5,000 lumens of brightness and a 1366 x 768 WXGA resolution. The PT-D7000U produces 7000 lumens of brightness and a 1400 x 1050 SXGA+ resolution.

The projectors deliver a 3000:1 contrast ratio with Panasonic’s newly-develop Dynamic Iris, which switches the aperture according to the input signal. The units have high-speed digital signal processing (with 16-bit color depth for wider dynamic range) and progressive cinema scan (3/2 pull down) capabilities combine to produce rich.

Both projectors are equipped with three-chip DLP light valves with sealed, fluid-cooled optical systems. Artificial intelligence (AI) is use in the lamp power control system to assure optimum image brightness. Its lamp auto-changer alternates lamp operation to permit extended 24/7 use, and allows operation to continue without interruption even if one lamp burns out.

The projectors offer built-in multi-screen color matching and edge blending for displaying uniform, natural-looking, full-motion images over a wide span without any discernible lines between overlapping blended images. An outstanding benefit of edge blending is that it increases the image's horizontal resolution while maintaining the maximum vertical resolution. Up to 100 projectors (10 x 10) can be edge-blended at one time using the projector’s built-in system.

The PT-DW7000U/D7700U offer Panasonic's BriteOptic dual-lamp system that delivers two high-intensity 300W UHM lamps through a high-precision prism. By adding the optional Ethernet network module, the units are network-ready, enabling network administrators to centrally monitor these projectors via LAN-based remote control over a Web browser, thereby driving down support costs and minimizing any downtime. The projectors can send e-mail messages to notify the user when the unit’s operating condition changes or a lamp needs replacing.

The PT-DW7000U/D7700U are easy to setup with one-touch auto-setup with horizontal/vertical lens shift and Digital Keystone correction. The 16:9 HDTV units can automatically synchronize to display 1080/24p, 1080/24sF, 1080/30p,1080/25p, 1080/60i-50i, 1035/60i 720p, 480p and 480/576i video in the conventional 4:3 aspect ratio. They can project on screens from 70” to 600”.

Other standard benefits include RS-232C/RS-422 input/output control; mechanical shutter; 96 user memories; and selectable seven-language on-screen menu. Both projectors weigh 48 pounds and measure 20-7/8” W x 7-7/8” H x 22-13/32 D.

In addition to a wide range of standard inputs (two RGB/YPbPr, S-video and composite video), optional input boards include HD-SDI, SD-SDI, RGB/YPbPr, DVI, Ethernet, and video/S-Video.

Optional lenses available for both models include the: ET-D75LE1 1.5-2.0:1 zoom lens, ET-D75LE2 2.0-3.0:1 zoom lens, ET-D75LE3 3.0-5.0:1 zoom lens, ET-D75LE4 5.0-8.0:1 zoom lens, and ET-D75LE5 0.8:1 fixed-focus lens.

The PT-DW7000U and PT-D7700 will be available in November.

Steve Guttag

- posted 09-02-2004 07:41 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bevan, they sound pricey. Also, I'm surprised at the 1366 x 768 display rather than an HD resolution like 1080 x 1920.

As to the color bit depth...DLP isn't too much on the up and up...try putting up a pattern that has a continious spectrum with 256 levels...see how smooth it is on a DLP.

Steve

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2004 11:12 PM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pricing is not too scary here - the 7700 is the replacement for the 7600 and we believe that pricing will be similar, at well under £GBP16 - 20k INCLUDING the high contrast lens ($USD $30k ish). These are also becoming the machine of choice here for ultra top end home cinema set ups

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-03-2004 02:08 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Information on this subject can also be found here.

Digital Projector Recomendations

Steve Guttag

- posted 09-03-2004 06:46 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
20K GBP is more like 35.8K USD. I don't know many theatres out there in the states that are willing to plunk that kind of cash down on a video projector.

Steve

Bevan Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2004 08:57 AM      Profile for Bevan Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bevan Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the list price on it is $29,995, probably will hit the street in the low 20s. The only HD native (>1920) DLP chip is only used in the high-end D-cinema and rental staging projectors at this time.

Another good option may be the ProjectionDesign F3 - http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectiondesign-F3.htm - Single chip SXGA+ (1050x1400) at 5,000 lumens probably will be in the $13-17k range when it is released.

[ 09-03-2004, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: Bevan Wright ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: