Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Doomsday is just around the corner and teaser titles are no longer allowed: free DLP! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Doomsday is just around the corner and teaser titles are no longer allowed: free DLP!
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-24-1999 12:58 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I keep hearing from different engineers that doomsday for 35mm film is just around the corner.

Apparently there is at least one manufacturer who is willing to basically give theaters all the digital video equipment for new installations in exchange for a tiny equipment rental fee. As I've heard it, they are trying to make it more appealing than buying 35mm projection equipment and that tiny fee is less than paying a real projectionist's salary. It is expected to have a couple of thousand units runing by the end of the year 2000! (This sounds awful familiar to the SDDS scam a couple of years back with AMC...trying to flood the market to ensure the "less than ideal" format would succeed.)

What a deal, eh?
Questions, reactions, comments???

[ 11-23-2004, 06:39 AM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

|  IP: Logged

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-24-1999 08:04 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the comversion to digital projection might have a good comparison with the conersion to the reverse scan/red led conversion. New theaters might/will do it but the old ones will wait and see, and wait and wait. If it were me I would want to see the track record of these new fangled projectors, to see what the "catches" would/will be. I think the industry will be slow to convert.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-25-1999 01:07 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't see how "digital" cinema (why don't they just call it television) will ever take off. Hell, they don't even have any standards yet. No compatibility.

At least with 35mm film you can project it in ANY theater in the world and regardless of whether the equipment is 60 years old or brand spanking new, you've got a show. What would happen if the video projector broke down on a busy Saturday night. How far would a tech have to come from? Or better still, how expensive would the repairs be?

I'LL choose film any day over video.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 11-22-2004 01:08 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1977 days since the last post.

Timothy Eiler
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2004 01:08 PM      Profile for Timothy Eiler   Author's Homepage   Email Timothy Eiler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still waiting for the free digital video equipment.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-22-2004 01:26 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak Digital Cinema at ShowEast 2004:

http://www.kodak.com/go/dcinema

quote:
ORLANDO, FLORIDA, (October 22, 2004) - Eastman Kodak Company announced today at the annual ShowEast Conference that the company is taking a major step forward in its goal of making high-quality digital cinema available for motion picture exhibitors around the world. The company is demonstrating the Kodak Digital Cinema Solution for Feature Presentations, a bundled package of hardware, software, and support services.

Kodak CineServer
The core of the package is a unique Kodak CineServer, which includes proprietary color technology and image science to deliver high-quality images to the cinema screen. The full solution includes preparation and distribution of content and technical support.

"This is a significant step in our continuing commitment to help assure the evolution of digital cinema in ways that best serve the interests of exhibitors, studios, the creative community and the movie-going public," said Bill Doeren, general manager of Kodak Digital Cinema.

Doeren emphasized that Kodak sees digital cinema as a whole new process that involves the preparation, distribution, and display of movies in a new way.

"Our approach," said Doeren, "is to offer a menu of choices to help simplify complexity, to provide the solutions they need to 'go digital' when they're ready, and to assure them of the quality and attention they expect when working with Kodak."

Kodak services include preparation of the Digital Source Master files by LaserPacific, a Kodak company. LaserPacific provides complete digital postproduction services, including digital intermediates, encryption, compression, and encoding in digital cinema color space, all designed to enable audiences to experience movies they way the filmmakers intended.

The digital content is transferred to a hard disk drive or DVD-ROM, which are distributed to cinemas. The disks are loaded into the Kodak CineServer, which decrypts and decompresses the movie and sends it to a cinema-grade digital projector to play on the theatre screen.

Customers can choose the projector brand and quality level to best meet their current needs. The Kodak server is compatible with projectors up to and including those with 2K resolution.

"The Kodak CineServer supports MPEG2 encoded video today and we're committed to raising the quality bar by offering JPEG2000 tomorrow," Doeren said. "We intend to be compatible with all industry standards as they evolve."

All components can be connected to the Kodak network, which serves as a vital communications link and adds effectiveness and efficiency to the entire process.

Kodak's Digital Cinema Services uses the network to provide the security keys, which protect against movie piracy. Kodak also monitors the health and performance of system components, and verifies that all content has been received and plays as scheduled.

The in-cinema network includes a Kodak Content Manager which handles all scheduling via its interface to the ticketing system - so movies play on the screens where they're booked. The Kodak CineServers are networked to the theatre's automation system, which controls curtains, lighting, and projector start.

As part of Kodak's approach, the company also can handle all aspects of project management, including training staffs in their new capabilities.

Doeren emphasized that Kodak is making a long-term commitment to continued advancements in digital cinema.

But we're happy to sell FILM too! [Smile] [Cool]

Bevan Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2004 04:40 PM      Profile for Bevan Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bevan Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Motion Picture Theatre Companies Adopt United Position on Digital Cinema

National Association of Theatre Owners Board of Directors’ Resolution Sets Forth List of Objectives

A unanimous Board of Directors of the National Association of Theatre Owners (NATO) yesterday adopted a resolution that describes their fundamental objectives regarding the potential transition to digital cinema.

The NATO resolution highlights the most important goals of theatre operators in four broad areas – quality, standards and competition, security and operational control, and financing and roll out. With respect to quality, the resolution calls for a branded movie-going experience that exceeds film, and exceeds home entertainment systems. The resolution also reflects exhibitors’ need for open and global technical standards to promote competition and ensure interoperability. In the important area of security systems, the resolution seeks to ensure that theatre operators of the future have the same control over their business as they have today. Finally, and perhaps most important, the resolution calls on the studios to develop a universal financing plan supported by studio funding that permits the participation of all exhibitors and all studios.

“Industry planning for digital cinema stands at a critical juncture,” said NATO Chairman Steve Marcus of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. “Our members believe it is the right time to describe our needs publicly.”

“We are pleased that exhibitors have come together on a united position,” added NATO President, John Fithian. “Digital cinema will be the most important technological transition in our industry’s history since the advent of sound. For the sake of our patrons, we must get it right.”

http://www.dcinematoday.com/dc/NewslinksTarget.aspx?ID=100

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-22-2004 05:27 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still waiting for SDDS to succeed. [Razz]

Bevan Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2004 05:29 PM      Profile for Bevan Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bevan Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard you can trade in 40 SDDS readers and 20 DSP-2000s for a new Sony 4k LCOS projector. [Wink]

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2004 06:10 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bevan,

What does that do for the end user? It's still Sony product... [uhoh]

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 11-22-2004 07:09 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the 4K LCOS works as well as the rest of the Sony stuff I've bought we'll need 3 of "em to get thru the first year, maybe they will be on wheels so they can be moved in and out between shows.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2004 03:07 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the TV last week, me and the projectionists I support will be 'a thing of the past'. Whilst I don't doubt that digital will become de rigeur, based on what I've seen over the last few weeks, I don't think I'll start looking for a new job just yet.

About 15 years ago when I first stepped into a projection booth, I was told not to bother as it was a dieing trade (this was by a guy from Sony installing a 3 gun CRT projector) I'm still here, that 3 gun CRT machine lasted less than a year before it was decomissioned and replaced with a Westar.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-23-2004 03:17 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To the original poster of this thread: Please edit the topic title so it is not a teaser title or we will do it for you. All of our rules are retroactive and you should have known what the rules of the future would be when you posted it. [Razz]

Back on topic:
Wow, digital is sure taking off! It is unstoppable! Does anyone actually still show film?

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2004 07:51 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both of the recent DLP shows I saw were botched in some way. IMHO, this will untimately kill theaters not because people can get better quality/resolution or sound at home, but because at home your image is ON the screen, not the masking, it's IN focus all of the time, and it doesn't crash if you keep it maintained. Aaah, that's the key! Maintenance!!

What made them think that just because there's no film, a manager can run it and put on a quality presentation? Or that since it's digital, you never have to change the bulb? (The one I was at flickered worse than those old silent films that change density every few feet).

It's the same theory behind those "Self Check-Out" stations that are to replace cashiers. The idea won't work as long as there's a few idiots out there.

=TMP=

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 11-23-2004 07:53 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few idiots? What happened to the rest of them?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: