Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Digital Theaters to get "Special Cut" of Revenge of the Sith (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Digital Theaters to get "Special Cut" of Revenge of the Sith
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-15-2005 08:53 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The February 2005 issue of Vanity Fair magazine says:

quote:
Work on the movie will continue until April 15, with even more fiddling likely to go on into May for a special cut that will only play in digitally equipped theaters this summer.

[ 01-15-2005, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: David Stambaugh ]

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-15-2005 09:48 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Good, all the super nerds can go flock to the "digital" theater in town so the regular theaters don't have to deal with them.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-15-2005 11:35 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope the digitals will charge an extra 5 bucks for that 30 seconds of added footage.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-15-2005 11:38 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it'll have more Jar Jar.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-16-2005 09:27 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I hope the digitals will charge an extra 5 bucks for that 30 seconds of added footage.
Isn't that how it works in video? I mean the "special edition" DVDs charge a bit extra for those special bits.

Yet another closing of the gap between home and cinema.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2005 09:36 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They should do what they did with "CLUE" and have a different ending at various theaters. I heard that's what they planned to do for "Freddy vs. Jason" at one point.

In all honesty, though, this is a feeble move to either: 1) Get more theaters to install digital so they can run the supercool ultra mega mega ROTS, or 2) Ensure the digital screens will outgross film screens by promoting them as having the supercool ultra mega mega ROTS.

After release, Lucas undoubtedly will hold a press conference in which he will announce that the "Digital presentation is what I intended to be shown" and spin it in a way to make it sound like film DIDN'T ALLOW him to have his VISION, blah blah blah.

"...Lucas informed filmgoers that the only way to see the intended version of the new Star Wars is to see it in DLP, since film prints are missing key elements from Lucas's film..." [Roll Eyes]

All hype. ENDLESS ENDLESS hype. [Smile]

=TMP=

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-16-2005 12:33 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, good. That should get teach those crappy film houses a thing or two! [Razz]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-16-2005 02:15 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was also the case for Attack Of The Clones. George talks about it during the commentary. There wasn't anything major added, just some minor effects tweaking, and slight modifications. For example, in the wedding scene at the end, Anakin reaches for Padme's hand in one version, and is already holding her hand in the other version. Or something like that.

Those are probably the types of changes we can expect for Revenge Of The Sith.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-16-2005 02:28 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're releasing it on film??? But George said that Ep III would be [dlp] only, since film apparently doesn't allow him to fulfill his vision! [Confused]

Will the IMAX DMR version be different, too?

Am I the only one who is getting a bit annoyed by this trend toward "special editions" of films, featuring "new never-before-seen footage"? For me, the original, 35mm or 70mm theatrical release of any given film, as seen by the majority of viewers, will always be the "one, true version" of any given film, and anything else is, at best, a curiousity. (Having said this, I'd really love to see the original [premiere version] cut of "2001" in 70mm.)

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-16-2005 05:50 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me, too, Scott. "Director's cut" editions always irk me. I figure, the first-release cut IS the director's cut. Whose else would it be, the gaffer's?

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2005 06:03 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, of course not..it would have to be the best boys'.;-)..just playing. I agree though, the few seconds of "enhanced" footage..blah..give me the original!

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2005 06:05 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll side with Lucas on this one in the sense that, although he is definitely a master of hype, having a digital cinema version allows him to push the "lock date" closer to release compared to a much earlier date required to complete a film print order. And digital allows "final" decisions to be changed. So I suppose, in a sense, a digital production is never "locked."

BTW, back in 1980, between the 70mm and 35mm versions of "The Empire Strikes Back," the 35mm version was the longer, tweaked version of the two.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2005 06:27 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The extended versions of Lord of the Rings were definately better than the theatrical versions..

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-16-2005 07:45 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats ok. There are no Star Wars films made after the first three that worth the time of day anyway. I'd rather watch "Howard The Duck" than the last two installments od SW!

Mark

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2005 08:00 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] ME TOO! [Smile]

=TMP=

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: