Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Digital Cinema, 1.3K or 2K

Author Topic: Digital Cinema, 1.3K or 2K
HyunKoo, Kim
Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2005 11:30 PM      Profile for HyunKoo, Kim   Author's Homepage   Email HyunKoo, Kim   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our theater will install the Digital Cinema equipment. Projector and Server.
Now, we was received the suggestion by vendor.
but, I don't know what I install among the 1.3K and 2K projector.
Our theater has screens of 110, 250, 280, 350, 500, 800 audience.

Please, show me the info.

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-13-2005 07:23 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always personally felt that the "1.3K" projectors had inadequate resolution for feature film presentation, regardless of the screen size --- the pixels became obvious to me even within the 2 to 4 image height distance from the screen specified by standard SMPTE 196M, and certainly objectionable for those forced to sit closer than 2 times the image height.

Here is Kodak's view:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products/digital/showeast1.jhtml

quote:
"We are committed to doing our part to help ensure that the digital projection technology of the future matches or exceeds the best possible image quality that exhibitors can present with 35 mm equipment," says Kodak Entertainment Imaging Division President Eric Rodli. "We believe that will ultimately require higher resolution digital projectors with a capacity for faithfully reproducing the full dynamic range of nuances in colors and contrast that today's films are capable of recording."

The Kodak CineServer unveiled at the conference is designed to enable exhibitors to decrypt, decompress and send content to up to 2K resolution projectors. Rodli says that Kodak is committed to a 4K system and will provide leadership as digital projection technology continues to evolve. He also stresses that film quality sets a moving target.

http://www.kodak.com/go/dcinema

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-13-2005 08:24 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is a NEW projector, it will most certainly be a 2K projector. TI has stopped production on the 1280 x 1024 chip set. For A/V they have moved on to the emerging 1400 x 1050 resolution and for cinema 2048 x 1080 (2K).

Current DCinema companies that are providing the real thing are Christie with their CP2000 and Barco with the DP100.

Sony? Well they trott out their 4K prototype but don't seem to be able to ship...kinda like when SDDS came out, isn't it?

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2005 08:49 AM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about NEC/DPI and the IS8 and IS15 2K projectors, they ar full D-cinema and in use.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2005 09:18 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, I agree completely. I'd guess that 1.2 megapixels is the resolution of the digital projectors that Regal is using for the "Regal 20" in my area (does anyone know what Regal is using for this?). From the back of the theatre, the projected image from that looks OK, but anywhere in the front, the limited resolution is very noticeable.

I'd really like to see 4K pixels for image width become the standard for theatres before the adoption of digital projection equipment.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 05-13-2005 09:34 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We used the NEC IS8 on all the media screenings of "Sin City", here in NYC. Great projector [thumbsup]

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-13-2005 10:59 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darren, what's the resolution of that one that you have at York; assuming that it hasn't been replaced in the year or so since I saw it?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-13-2005 11:37 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My apologies for the omission of NEC...I must admit, I lost total interest in them based on their down right childish advertisments and methods of promoting their product.

That does not take away from the fact that they are also providing DCinema solutions.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 05-13-2005 01:39 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sony won't begin to ship their 4k stuff until July. Given the yield problems they and others have had with LCOS it'll be interesting to see how they do.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: