Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » D-cinema...what is everyone thinking??? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Author Topic: D-cinema...what is everyone thinking???
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-29-2006 05:09 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Times change and over the years new technology is available to us. This is a given, but what is the intelligent choice?

When digital sound was starting to appear in the early 90s my stance was that CDS would in no way survive due to the lack of a backup audio track. Then shortly later I firmly pushed everyone to go with Dolby Digital and not SDDS and DTS because I didn't feel that SDDS would last the test of time being on the edges of the film and that getting dts discs could be a problem. I was correct on both, and sadly not a single person listened to me as SDDS and DTS was installed like crazy all over town. Now everyone who installed SDDS has since retired most of their units and had to purchase Dolby or DTS, yet the DTS folks are always complaining about damaged or missing discs. It seems some people never learn.

Now we have D-cinema. I feel that Dolby again has got the better product for D-cinema and my backing goes again to them, but I am surprised at the people jumping on the bandwagon so quickly which is the purpose of my post.

Let's face it guys, D-cinema equipment purchased now will be totally obsolete within a few years. I highly doubt ANY of it will still be running or up to standards 10 years from now. Meanwhile there are 35mm projectors that have been running for decades and will continue to run without failure.

Why are we settling with JPEG2000? It doesn't look THAT good. 4K is a very real possibility in the near future, so I am amazed that people are jumping to quickly to adapt the 2k standard.

Just look at what has happened with computers in the last 10 years alone. In 1996 the system everyone was using was Windows 95. That's a mere 10 years ago! Do I really need to remind everyone what a joke Windows 95 was?

I say let the big boys like Regal or AMC put all of their money into D-cinema. A certain number of years down the road they WILL find that they will need an arsenal of techs to keep things updated and running, plus more and more shows will be lost due to computer glitches. This is just a fact of life with computer equipment as it ages.

Then even possibly as little as 5 years down the road, the big boys who invested now in D-cinema will be stuck with the outdated equipment currently available because they were the guinea pigs for the new technology. As a result the smaller guys will enter the market with better systems which will attract customers in the same thought process that is being used now to convert to digital "as quickly as possible" and the big boys will suffer (possibly again into bankruptcy).

I could rant on, but I think most of the obvious points have already been made elsewhere on the forums, but seriously, what's the rush? Why is everyone in such a panic to spend an insane amount of money to be the beta testers?

Yeah it looks great now, but all of the equipment is just too new to be failing yet. Mark my words, a few years down the road this forum will be littered with people having major problems and lost shows due to this first generation of D-cinema.

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-29-2006 06:20 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
I could rant on, but I think most of the obvious points have already been made elsewhere on the forums, but seriously, what's the rush? Why is everyone in such a panic to spend an insane amount of money to be the beta testers?

I agree with you here Brad. If we were looking at a situation where films were no longer being released on 35mm prints, as has happened with 16mm, then you would need to either install digital, or close, as previously 16mm venues had to move to either video, or 35mm. That simply isn't the case with 35mm at the moment, and isn't likely to be for at least some years to come. There's a very large number of 35mm cinemas in the World; they couldn't all convert overnight, even if they wanted to.

A few weeks ago Nigel Wolland retired as Chief at the Odeon Leicester Square; I was among a large group who attended an event at the theatre to wish him well, listen to the organ, and have a look at their present equipment installation. This was the first time I had seen 2k digital; it looked good, much better than the first generation 1.3k equipment, but I wouldn't say that it looked better than a good film presentation. There were othere there who disagree with me about this. There were two other digital projection systems in the box that day, one partly dismantled, and I believe that the Odeon has had at least one other in the past few years. This theatre does update its equipment more frequently than most, but they have had five generations of conventional film projetors, plus a pair of Kalee Vistavision machines, since they opened in 1937.

If I was a cinema owner I would not even consider installing digital today, unless there was some special requirement; e.g. to show live events. I would keep an eye on the situation, and maybe in a few years time I might think the time was right, but I don't think it is today. If I was designing a cinema today, I would certainly make provision for the future installation of digital equipment.

New digital cinema equipment is not cheap, and is never likely to be; the production volumes are simply too small, though no doubt the cost will come down. Secondhand equipment is now almost useless, as the studios do not want to support the 1.3k format. Very good rebuilt twenty year old 35mm equipment, which still has many years of life in it, is much cheaper to buy, and will probably outlive the current generation of digital equipment. You will almost certainly be able to buy a better digital projector, at a lower cost, in a few years time than you can today. I'm not saying ignore digital, but for most cinemas I don't think the time is right.

The very small single screen cinema where I have been projecting for the last couple of years is due to have a digital machine installed sometime around November this year, as part of the UK Film Council/Arts Alliance scheme. I was thre when the site survey was carried out earlier this month; the installation will not be easy, and exactly how it will be done has not yet been decided. At the moment removing the film equipment and going totally digital is simply not an option, at least for an art house/classic film type of venue, so the choice is between film, or film plus digital. Have we yet reached the point where a digital only installation is practical for a purely mainstream venue? Other things being equal, a film plus digital installation is better than a film only one, but there are often considerable costs and difficulties involved in adding digital equipment to an existing venue, even where the digital equipment is being funded externally, as with the Arts Alliance scheme. Where the cinema has to pay the full cost, this is very high. We keep hearing that somebody else, the studios, the distributors, the equipment manufacturers etc. paying part of the cost is the answer. I have serious concerns about this; if somebody other than the cinema pays for the equipment, then that somebody is very likely to want a say in the programming policy.

If the distributors were to announce today that they would cease to supply 35mm prints from the end of this year, which is not going to happen, then the effect would not be to make most British cinemas buy digital equipment; it would be to close most of them down.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-29-2006 06:52 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why are we settling with JPEG2000? It doesn't look THAT good. 4K is a very real possibility in the near future, so I am amazed that people are jumping to quickly to adapt the 2k standard.

Because its the highest data rate that can easily be transmitted over an ethernet link at this point in time. Its also about the highest data rate that can be digested by the DLP decoding/decrypting engine. The 4K thing has also been adapted as part of the standard but the main problem is that there is no standard for its transmission between the server and projector... it may very well be just too high of data rate to transmit with out phone company type laser fibre optic links. Are youa ware that its not just double the 2K data rate... Its actually the square of the 2K data rate. Are you also aware that Sony has yet to actually demonstrate its own 4K projector actually running at 4K? Thats right fans! We were told at the semiinar that T.I. has absolutely no plans do do anything but 2K for the long forseeable future because the demand and extremely high expense for a 4K system will lkeep it at bay right where its parked now. Would you pay $500,000 for a 4K system? thats what its estimated to cost. As far as producing it there just wouldn't be enough profit in it for any company to produce it in quantity today.... that may change in 10 or more years but it will probably be that long in reality before any 4K system really emerges. Ever wonder why the 3K Kodak DILA system has completely disappeared? Its because the chips just can't take the heat from high intensity lamps.... So they have stuck mainly to home entertainment systems. Yes, Sony has had that exact problem with the 4K projector!

These are but a few reasons for the wider acceptance of the 2K system... right now and for the forseeable future its the only one that'll be around in quantity, affordable, and practical for years to come. I still can't see what everyone is worried about... it looks BETTER than a good 35mm does on a 35' or so wide screen. Sure scope uses a smaller imaging area on the chip and will suffer some... but only just some. It'll still look far better than the average 35mm print running at the local barn. The Regal/AMC consortuim has just approached Wall Street investors for 1-billion dollars to oconvert every screen they have over to D-Cinema. With that big of committment it will fly very well.

Also, as new imaging techniques come available the projectors can easily be converted over to them if need be. We wil not be stuck at JPEG 2000. It may be the standard now but in the future when other better ways become available the projectors and servers are very adaptable at being upgraded. The light engine is not the limiting factor there. Its only the limiting factor as regards resolution.
I will say further that until all of you have attended a competantly run seminar and have developed at least some proper understanding as to the who-what-where-when-and why of things you will never be able to accurately judge anytihng about it.

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-29-2006 06:58 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark said "
These are but a few reasons for the acceptance of the 2K system... right now and for the forseeable future its the only one that'll be around, affordable, and practical for years to come. I still can't see what everyone is worried about... it looks BETTER than a good 35mm does on a 35 or so foot wide screen. Sure scope uses a smaller imaging area on the chip and will suffer some... but only just some. It'll still look far better than the average 35mm print running at the local barn."
funny the average screen size in canada with all our silver citys and the likes is in excess of 58' for a 1.85:1 image

2K doesn't cut it on those screens and audience reactions are they will not accept smaller screens

and 35mm high speed sloppy prints still n average exceed DLP

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-29-2006 07:00 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Gord, but you're flat wrong. The material we did see at Dolby was just your run of the mill preview material. All the techs and engineers there agreed it looked far superior to its 35mm film equivelent. Many of those attending had seen the preview in 35mm recently.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-29-2006 07:12 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark: MPEG (as you know) did not look "healthy" The JPEG even made a believer out of me. Probably not many have seen JPEG on a perfect system. Agreed that there is a size limitation due to horsepower. Louis

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-29-2006 07:39 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark the screen at Dolby is far smaller than most of the ones up here
been there done it it still looks like crap 58' wide

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-29-2006 07:40 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I find most of the reason why people think DLP looks better is because of a lack of DIRT! Obviously other things come into play as well, mainly the lamphouse, screen and lenses. Still, on a properly designed and setup system, those run of the mill high speed 35mm prints are still superior to what I've seen in DLP (both 1.3k and 2k systems). The problem is that with rare exception I don't see what I call properly designed and setup 35mm systems in theaters today, so to most people's eyes DLP does look better because of the detail being given to those installations right now.

So far the best DLP I've seen hands down was a 2k demo at Christie's offices. The Barco I saw at Dolby was not as impressive to my eyes, nor was any other setup. Give it 5 years. There is no reason whatsoever to "settle" for JPEG2000 just because it is here now. Sure it looks pretty darned good, but there are still artifacting and weird motion issues that as of right now can only be aleviated by using film.

Mark, be patient and give it a little time. It won't take long for the higher data rate issue to resolve itself. With you a strong advocate of 70mm back in the day, I am shocked you are jumping on the lower quality current DLP bandwagon. What's the freakin' rush???

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2006 09:03 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I agree that the industry should wait for 4K (even though I haven't personally seen it), the presentations I've seen with 2K have been amazingly good and I have always gone in wanting to hate it. I know many on this Forum hate D-cinema and think it's crap, but I think everyone is going to have to admit that there's a bit of built-in bias because of the perception that professional projectionists won't be as needed in a digital cinema world.

As with any medium, you gain something and you lose something. With digital, you gain consistency of brightness across the screen, no dirt or scratches, no shutter sync problems, a rock-steady image, no print grain and a show that looks the same every time you present it.

You lose some dynamic range in the image and the blacks aren't quite as good, although I recently had occasion to see MI3 and Cars in both 35mm and digital on the same day in the same theatre (but not the same screen) and I really could not see any differences in color, contrast or black levels. And sitting halfway back in the theatre, I didn't see any pixilation.

For a naive audience member, I think the positives outweigh the negatives, especially when you consider how second run prints look today. I've always felt that aside from the expense, D-Cinema is going to benefit second-run theaters more than first run.

The potential of 35mm vs. Digital is not the issue. It's true that at its best, 35mm is pretty great. The problem is 35mm is rarely presented at its best, even in first run large-city theaters anymore - I've seen filthy and scratched prints on the first day of a run. It's like the debate over vinyl LP vs. CD. At its best, a vinyl LP can sound great. But on average, CD sounds far superior. (Not that anyone really cares about audio quality anymore since everyone is listening to compressed music on MP3 players.) Even in the days of the "beloved" 70mm Dolby 6-track and even in NYC, there were only a few theaters that presented with really high quality--I can think of only three: The Ziegfeld, the Loews Astor Plaza and the old Loews Orpheum Twin (before it was turned into a multiplex), even though almost every Manhattan screen had 70mm capability.

I've seen D-Cinema on some pretty large screens. The screen at the Ziegfeld in NYC is 52' and digital there looks fine. There's a 62' screen at the AMC-Loews Kips Bay (screen #10), but I'm not 100% sure if I've seen digital presentations there, but I think I have, so I don't think the 58' screens in Canada would be a problem, but even if they are, the vast majority of screens today are tiny.

One thing we don't know yet is over the long term, will non-professional "projectionists" (i.e. 'the popcorn kid') play with projector settings and screw up the presentations? Will we start seeing the equivalent of "blue screens of death" or total lockups? Once the market is better established, will low-end providers push out crappy projectors with poorer quality or reliability? Once the studios have a ton of features stored digitally, will they start to compress the files for storage purposes making future "copies" of lesser quality or if technology changes, will there be artifacts introduced as one format is converted to another? Watch TV and you'll see tons of artifacts on digitally recorded shows and even live digital shows because of the compression used to uplink.

One of the reasons why chains are adopting now is because I don't think they're paying outright for the equipment. My belief (although I have no first-hand knowledge) is that they are leasing the equipment. If you're leasing and you eventually have to trade up, it's not really a big deal. It's like trading in a leased car every two years - your monthly payment pretty much stays the same.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-29-2006 09:16 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't the projector settings pretty much locked down so nobody unauthorized can play with them?

Also aren't the projectors being financed by a private deal with distributors, and the exhibitors get a "credit" of some kind every time they don't have to be shipped a print for the digital screen? The credit represents the amount the distributor saved in making and shipping a film print. It's those credits that are largely making the payments on the projectors for exhibitors. At least that's how I understand it. After some period of time (years) the projectors will have been paid for by these credits, the exhibitors will own the hardware, and the distributors will get to keep the full cost savings from not making and shipping prints. It's a win-win.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-29-2006 09:16 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin Brooks
One thing we don't know yet is over the long term, will non-professional "projectionists" (i.e. 'the popcorn kid') play with projector settings and screw up the presentations?
That is why there are such hurdles as passwords. But even if they take that hurdle and mess around in the setup, you can just reload the original settings and the good thing is, there are logfiles... So no more coming into the booth and finding rollers broken off but no one knows when it happened.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-29-2006 10:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
Mark the screen at Dolby is far smaller than most of the ones up here
been there done it it still looks like crap 58' wide

Gord, If you'd actually read all my posts you'll find that I admit its not good for over 40' to 45' wide.

So far the best DLP I've seen hands down was a 2k demo at Christie's offices. The Barco I saw at Dolby was not as impressive to my eyes, nor was any other setup.
How do you know which was MPEG or not? There is a very definate difference.

IMHO to get this launched JPEG 2000 is indeed good enough for now... and converting to something better in the near future as the standards committie approves it will probably just be as easy as a board change and software upgrade in both the show server and the projector. Thats all it took to go from MPEG to JPEG. Also you get to a point where the source is very definately good enough for the 2K format as after a point you won't gain a thing because of rez limitation of the light engine and optical system themnselves. Do you really have a single customer that will spend 500K for a 4K system? Thats doubtful to ever happen.

quote: David Stambaugh
Aren't the projector settings pretty much locked down so nobody unauthorized can play with them?

Absolutely! It will ultimtely be difficult for many techs to even deal with it.

quote: David Stambaugh
Also aren't the projectors being financed by a private deal with distributors, and the exhibitors get a "credit" of some kind every time they don't have to be shipped a print for the digital screen? The credit represents the amount the distributor saved in making and shipping a film print.
Yes, but then why hasn't Christie returned calls to many independent large chains that have attempted to contact them? It appears that they are almost only after certain locations. I'd bet that when a point is reached where all the "important locations" are covered the financing will be cut off.

Mark

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-29-2006 11:28 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Compression? I don't think "compression" and "professional" belong in the same sentence or the same subject with each other. So to me D-cinema is very consumer level-ish/amateur-ish. I don't want to pay outta my ass to see a movie that won't give me full bandwidth 4:4:4 color. If I want to see compression, I'll wait for the DVD or Blu-Ray or whatever. I don't go to the theater to watch what I can see at home. I go to see something better. Something impressive. Currently, D-cinema is for pussies.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-29-2006 11:58 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
I don't want to pay outta my ass to see a movie that won't give me full bandwidth 4:4:4 color.
Joe,

JPEG 2000 is 4:4:4....

You guys can think what you want to but the technology is ready and its going to improve ALOT of locations presentations. What the majority of you are forgetting is that there are more bad film handling locations than good ones in the world.

quote: Joe Redifer
Currently, D-cinema is for pussies.
Well, if there is going to be ALOT of really good pussy at some of those D-Cinema screenings, I might just start hanging out at some of them [thumbsup] .

Mark

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-30-2006 12:54 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck with that, Mark. Really.

Are you saying D-Cinema is using the LOSSLESS version of JPEG 2000? I find that highly unlikely. The connection between the server and projector can handle full uncompressed data. If they are only using an ethernet cable to connect the two, well then that's some pretty pathetic technology they've got goin' there.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: