Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Sound Processors for D-Cinema (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Sound Processors for D-Cinema
Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2006 06:45 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Sound Processors are being used in D-Cinema installations?
Are there any processors in use today that could not be used for D-Cinema?
Cheers Ian

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-02-2006 07:50 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are two primary processors being used. CP-650 and the USL JDS-80 and it sister processor from DTS. Both have the option of having an SPDIF digital input. With the addition of an external D to A such as the DMA-8 and others such as the RAMSA outboard unit you can utilize any processor with an aux. 6 channel input.

Mark

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2006 07:58 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark
Do you mean a "stereo input that is processed to 6 channels" when you say "an auxillary 6 channel input"?
Ian

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2006 10:00 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, I have installed a USL JSD-80 and am using the AES/BSU digital audio input. It is a DB-25 connection. I'm not sure if there is an optional component that you have to order in order for the processor to decode the digital data.

I selected the digital audio input, because I had a slight ground loop using the analog cable.

Chris Trainor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2006 11:24 AM      Profile for Chris Trainor   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Trainor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian,

the input needs to be 6 discreet channels. L/C/R/lS/rS/Sub.

Which basically prevents you from using regular non-sync inputs.

--Chris

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-02-2006 01:41 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought most audio setups able to handle DTS, Dolby Digital & SDDS could accomodate the LPCM surround format of digital cinema.

Does this mean the Dolby CP-65 and Smart processors at our local Carmike will get replaced when their Christie CP2000 systems get installed?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-02-2006 01:57 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the DLP system provides analog outputs, they can easily be connected to the format 10 input on the CP65. This would preclude using a DA20 as well, though, unless some sort of switchbox is installed.

Does the DMA-8 connect to the format 10 input and, if so, can it accommodate an installation with an existing DA20?

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2006 02:01 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott.

Yes to both questions, and it works very well.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 10-02-2006 03:38 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't need the DA20 to switch automatically or under automation control (unlikely unless you're running digital cinema with an analog backup simultaneously), you can connect connect up to the CP200 passthrough input of the DA20. When the DA20 is off, the passthrough is connected to the CP65.

--jhawk

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-03-2006 02:20 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott - when you install a DMA8, the existing external 6-channel from a DTS processor or DA20 is routed *through* the DMA8 and can both be manually and remotely switched.

As has been mentioned before, some digital cinema servers, like the Doremi used in the Christie/AIX installations, can also provide analog 6-channel out. Then you don't need the DMA8 and with the help of an interface board with relay-switchable inputs, you can automatically switch between d-cinema and digital sound on film.

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2006 03:54 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby
That was exactly my thoughts when I posted this question.

I have a variety of processors(CSP1200,JSX1000,Smart Mod 6,DTS6AD,USL105/195,CP65 soon.........can all these accept the analogue 6 channel input? or do we just throw all these onto the pile of platters when D-Cinema fully takes over.

Which processors cannot accept the analogue 6 channel input?

Will the new breed of D-Cinema processors sound so much better that we will have to use them?
Cheers Ian

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2006 06:54 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it wont be hard to beat the current dolby digital standard, lets hope they get the bit rate up a bit, perhaps up to cd standard?

I feel that this question is a bit premiture as I haven't even come across the idea that digital servers are standardised yet.

As for raw digital output perhaps a home processer could do the processing. Perhaps its just a case of switching the sound card in the server to an analogue one ect (just think computer)

The current 6 track input with the 25 pin D conecter ( I have already posted a DIY make your own cable for DVD 5.1 in one of these forums ) might be all that you need.

One things for sure the EQ, Amps, and speakers wont have to change

Larry Zuverink
Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2006 07:34 AM      Profile for Larry Zuverink   Email Larry Zuverink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But some of the show players have 6 channel analog output so a DMA8 will not be needed.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2006 09:18 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Cameron Glendinning
Well it wont be hard to beat the current dolby digital standard, lets hope they get the bit rate up a bit, perhaps up to cd standard?
Digital Cinema audio is the one really good thing about the format. It far exceeds CD standard. As specified, it will be uncompressed 24 bit at either 48k or 96k samples per second (CD is 16 bit, 44.1k samples per second). It can also support up to 16 channels which can't be handled by any current processor that I know of.

It would be cool if somebody who has the knowlege could make a little chart in this thread detailing every sound processor, if it can handle digital cinema and what is needed to interface it. Example:

Processor..Support..............Interface
...........................Digital...............Analog
CP-65........Yes......DMA-8.............None Required
CP-100
CP-200
CP-50
CP-55
CP-500.......Yes......DMA-8.............CAT685 Installed
CP-650
Panastereo CSP1200....DMA-8.............None Required
USL JS 6 channel series DMA-8...........None Required
Smart Mod 2C..........DMA-8.............None Required
Smart Mod5............DMA-8.............None Required
Smart Mod7............DMA-8.............None Required
DTS 6AD...............DMA-8.............None Required
Smart Mod VI..........DMA-8.............None Required

I don't know all the panastereo, Smart and usl processors so I'll stop my list here.

[ 10-03-2006, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: Lyle Romer ]

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2006 09:42 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, the analog is "standard" pinouts. Meaning, I was able to place it into my CP500 first, and then moved it down to my JSD-80.

Lyle - CP-500 needs a DMA-8 if you want to process AES/BSU digital audio.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: