Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Christie CP2000 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Christie CP2000
Amanda Jones
Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2005 02:16 AM      Profile for Amanda Jones   Email Amanda Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our theater is currently installing our first digital projector [Smile] I'm excited but I would like people's opinion on the Christie CP2000. Pros? (besides the obvious) Cons?

|  IP: Logged

Josh Kirkhart
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2005 12:58 PM      Profile for Josh Kirkhart   Email Josh Kirkhart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is nothing I have seen that is lacking about the CP2000. If complimented by a Cine-IPM 2K which allows just about any video input, they can be very impressive. HDTV signals look great on screen and the Lenses are great, they are pretty versitile. Don't bother with DVD or anything lower resolution than HDTV. The Lamphouses are very impressive, changing them is simple, it focus' itself and once set, keeps a constant footlampert.

Equipment wise the only thing I do not like(they are working hard to fix this) is the Automation interaction. Unless the bugs are fixed before your install, it will take babysitting: it is mostly the inbetween cues, the feature and credit light cues are the issue.

As far as running Features, I have been limited to Flightplan, SW3, and the Island. Star Wars looked soft(as did the prints), The Island had extreme color issues(beyond what Bay intended I believe, and Flightplan is very Pixely(in my opinion), all of them were extremely dark in scenes which were not when seen on 35mm. Overall from what I've seen(and it could just be the Transfers) the midtones are lackingbut the Blacks and Brights are extreme. It takes some getting used to(I'm assuming since i haven't). Its hard to really tell just which is closer to the directors/ Cinematographers vision. Overall most customers don't notice either way, I have had plenty of patrons compliment various members of staff about how great the digital picture is when they were watching 35mm. But the ones who are interested and seek it out or see the difference seem to like it.

I've rambled enough, good luck.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2005 01:17 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a CP2000 for almost a year at this point. I like it too. I used to have to change both lenses and zoom before. Now just one lense and zoom for both formats.

Lenses changing is somewhat difficult for me because my film console is about 2 feet to the left of the door.

Josh, Isn't your server tied into film console as far as the automation is concerned. I don't recall any hardware in the 2000 for the automation except for fire alarm inputs to shutdown the lamphouse.

Josh Kirkhart
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2005 11:58 PM      Profile for Josh Kirkhart   Email Josh Kirkhart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the Lamp/Format and Dowser cues go from server to console. They may flow thru this junction box thogh along with the lights, curtains, masking and sound format. I can only assume its relatively new with the troubleshooting they are doing. I'll see if I can get a proper description up tommorow. It can't be easy designing something to incorporate the last 60 years of any kind of automation.

Amanda Jones
Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2005 12:16 AM      Profile for Amanda Jones   Email Amanda Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They have also installed a new sound rack that will house the Dolby Show Store hotswappable hard drive unit and automation interface.

First movie we are showing with our digital projector will be Chicken Little.

Eric Webb
Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2005 01:13 AM      Profile for Eric Webb   Email Eric Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know about how much a Christie CP2000 would cost to buy?

[ 10-04-2005, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: Eric Webb ]

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 10-06-2006 11:18 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 368 days since the last post.

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2006 11:18 PM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a user manual available here? I have tried searching for here and cannot find one. I have also tried looking on their website as well.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2006 03:33 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a couple of user manuals. I'd like permission from Christie before sending one to Brad/Adam to scan.

As far as the projector, no complaints. The only issues we have had with our digital projectors so far were with the Doremi servers but all that's been worked out.

Josh Kirkhart
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2006 04:22 AM      Profile for Josh Kirkhart   Email Josh Kirkhart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just over a year later.

Happy with the cp-2000. We have gone thru a couple upgrades, both on the servers and consoles themselves. They also equipped us with new automation consoles which I believe are now standard in new installations.

You start to really appreciate them. They do give a exact performance every show. I'm good at what I do but the Vic 5s keep me busy. But this has all been covered before.

As far as enjoying the presentation, after the last update and install of additional projectors I have been impressed with the releases of Pirates, Black Dahlia, Superman Returns and just recently Departed. I believe the transfers are getting better as the companys figure out the benefits and limitations the display gives them.

The projectors I can not fault a bit, we also have techs that can be out in very little turnaround and have so far not had any real craziness.

The only annoying thing has nothing to do with Christie or Doremi, its whoever names the darn files. They need to come up with a standard. it can go from 'Flags SCOPE' to 'flags.fath.ver2.scp.date' or 'fof.isquz.2.091206'. These are not exact names, but you get the point.

ramble over.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2006 04:37 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, the trailer names can be annoying to decipher.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-07-2006 10:48 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CP2000 manual already exists in pdf form...but you are correct that it should come from the copyright holder, Christie.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2006 07:03 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are good machines, although we had some teething problems with the automation (mainly lighting). One major issue, ours has a QuVis media player, if this is on before you strike the lamp it totally screws up. Shame we don't have two of them, a bit frustrating when the film moves to a smaller screen and you have to make up a 35mm copy.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-08-2006 07:45 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the industry wil quickly learn that the Dolby Server is the ONLY server to have. It is also the one server that is very UNLIKELY to ever go obsolete. Its very stable and so easy to set up a show that a two year old could be taught to do it. Networking them together is easy but with the present gigabyte ethernet speed capability one has to allow enough time to move a print over the network. Or it can simply be loaded on the next server you're moving to from the hot plugable or USB hard drive again... takes abot an hour.

Mark

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2006 10:47 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DOREMI has been working pretty well for me for about the last 6 months or so. With only two screens, it is easy to plan for moves. Once you get up to more screens (????), the you get a SAN server and load the movies there and use it as an FTP server. Then you can move files onto the DOREMI as needed.

I heard Christie has, is working on, a system that you can do all the administrative stuff on.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: