Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » New 4k digital cinema projector. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New 4k digital cinema projector.
Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2008 11:45 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope this is the right forum. If not please move it, I apologize.

JVC showed its new 4k cinema projector at Cedia 07. While it is still quit large compared to consumer projectors it is smaller then the Sony 4k and most cinema DLPs. The contrast is rated at
10,000:1 which is a nice improvement for the cinemas with controlled lighting able to can take advantage of this.
If I am not mistaken I thought the cost had not yet been determined at the show but it was rumored to be around or shy of 100k.
At 4000 lumens it will do fine on small to medium size screens.
DLP will also go to 4k at some point.

Knowing everything will go 4k I sure would want to wait before making the switch to digital. This stuff changes and devalues very fast.

Looks like Barco is the first to bring it to market.

LX-5 technical specification
Light output
4,500 lumens
Contrast ratio
> 10,000:1 contrast ratio
Resolution
4,096 x 2,400 pixels (10Mp)
Display technology
LCoS
Lamps
Lamp
800W Xenon
Lamp lifetime (typical)
Warranted 750 hrs - max 1,500 hrs
Dimensions
Weight
Body only: 50kg / 110 lbs
Height - width - length
390 x 660 x 830 mm
15.35” x 25.99” x 32.67”
Lenses
Available zoom lenses
TLB HB (1.5 - 1.9:1) included
Available fixed focal lenses
TLB HB (1:1)
Features
Special features
Up to 4 picture-and-picture data and images
Adjustable color temperature
High dynamic range compatible
Inputs and outputs
Inputs
4x dual DVI-D (up to 12 bit)
Communication ports
RS232 in/out on D9
RJ45 (10/100 Base-T Ethernet)
USB port
Compatibility
Data
Computer graphics formats VGA, SVGA, XGA, SXGA, UXGA,
1080p HD, 2K up to 4K and 10MP
Safety
Safety regulations
UL 60950
CE compliant
RoHS and WEEE compliant
Power
AC power
100 - 240 VAC/50-60 Hz
Max. power consumption
1500 Watt
Order info
Order info
LX-5 R9011220

|  IP: Logged

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2008 12:25 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it official that DLP will go to 4K? The R&D and manufacturing costs may not make that an economic proposition.

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2008 12:41 PM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4,500 lumens seems kinda low? any screen bigger then say 18 ft would be under lit.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2008 12:42 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While this technology may make it into digital cinema, it seems from Barco's site that the LX-5 is a meeting room/presentation projector and is not designed for D-Cinema use.

This will be an important year to see if 4K has a chance. AMC installed Sony 4K in their new builds towards the end of last year. If Regal/AMC/Cinemark use 4K in a decent number of their conversions to D-Cinema then it has a shot. If they go 2K for conversions I think it will become the defacto standard for many years to come (until somebody comes up with a cheap retrofit kit down the road).

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2008 02:15 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brian Guckian
Is it official that DLP will go to 4K? The R&D and manufacturing costs may not make that an economic proposition.
Yes 4k ( inside info ) is coming but it will be a while. The 2k platform is still young with plenty of financial gain left on the the table.

Im sure it will not stop at 4k. The Japanese are saying they want to broadcast Ultra High Definition 7,680 x 4,320 with 22 ch of sound by 2015.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-17-2008 01:18 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, AMC, Regal and Cinemark agreed that 4K is not ready for the big time masses yet so they are going 2K. 2K is still better than many of the crappy general release prints that are being manufactured today.

Now hopefully no one here actually believes that AMC really bought the 4K machines they have installed... does anyone? Ya got to be kiddin if you think they did... after the SDDS debacle Sony owes AMC ALOT!

At 130K for the big big... like a Volkswagon bus on end in size... for a measly 16,000 lumen 4K projector that also requires a multiple number of xenon lamps operating at the same time to make that measly 16,000 lumens... now no one is going to take that sort of idiotic fandangery as legitimate are they? Its daily operating cost alone would a nightmarish! Oh... and ys have to buy Sony's special xenon lamps for it too!

Just a few films have been released in 4K so far... and can anyone here actually state factual information to support the ongoing theory that 4K is actually all that much better?

The data rate to the projector is ungodly high at 4K!

Mark

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2008 10:02 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
for a measly 16,000 lumen 4K projector that also requires a multiple number of xenon lamps operating at the same time to make that measly 16,000 lumens
The new Sony projectors only use one xenon lamp. It was the original versions that used two.

Also, the issue with 2k isn't the quality vs. mass produced 35mm prints the issue is that it isn't much better than the quality of Blu-ray. Granted, a mass produced 35mm print shown in a run of the mill megaplex run by 16 year olds won't look much better than blu-ray either but 5 years from now it would be nice if theaters could advertise 4k as an advantage.

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2008 10:46 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lcos/SXRD panels just cannot handle the heat. I see 4k machine with 2k content nothing moe then fill factor for larger screens but without the light output it defeats itself. DLP is the clear winner here.
By the way this guy has the Sony in his demo room.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-17-2008 09:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lyle,

The big 16000 lumen projector that Sony displayed at Show East did indeed take multiple lamps... The dang thing was as big as a VW bus stood on end... Its the Sony that Muvico installed outside Chicago... Brightness and heat will always be a factor with the imagers they use.

Mark
posted from Marks iPhone

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2008 10:27 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Alan Gouger
By the way this guy has the Sony in his demo room.
That's not a bad way to spend $6 million dollars! [Smile]

For perspective, does anyone have info on how much outfitting a single screen in a modestly-size location costs? Assuming that you can get discounts based on multiple purchases, so that you're not overpaying because you only need to outfit one room instead of 6 or 10.

16 subwoofers... sorry, I just can't stop smiling!

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-18-2008 12:19 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's not a bad way to spend $6 million dollars!

Pity he couldn't scrape up a few bucks for a web designer [Wink]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-18-2008 01:30 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am just wondering how he gets THIS response:
quote:
With a frequency range of 1 - 102,500 Hertz,

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2008 03:00 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can somebody please tell me that this is a joke? Who the flip would want a living room that looks like the picture towards the bottom of the Surround Processing page?

Oh, how we digress.

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2008 04:30 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ken Lackner
Can somebody please tell me that this is a joke? Who the flip would want a living room that looks like the picture towards the bottom of the Surround Processing page?
May be it was Andy Summers THX setup..... [Big Grin]

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-18-2008 07:13 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Why does that site have a photo of an Emmy on it? Oh, all right, I suppose we *are* talking about television.

Nice web design, by the way. [evil]
 -

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: