Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » how does pre-show get to the screen with digital projection? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: how does pre-show get to the screen with digital projection?
Gary Davidson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2008 04:43 PM      Profile for Gary Davidson   Email Gary Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
dumb how-do-they-do-that question from outsider:
Let's say I have a new digital Christie projection system in my multiplex, 1) how is that content sent to the theatre (CD, sent as a media file over the Internet, messenger pigeon?) 2) what happens to it once it makes it to the theatre?

thx

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 02-12-2008 05:30 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those of us with the Christie/AIX/Doremi setup that have the preshow on the Christie DLP projectors get the pre-show content via a DVD-ROM, which is ingested at the LMS.

Once ingested, the preshow (21 minute running time in our case) is simply tacked to the beginning of the playlist for each show.

-Aaron

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2008 05:41 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have Screenvision they will just use their playback node with the Christie projector instead of a separate video projector. I beleive they send most of their content via satellite, then they control the playlists and start times remotely.

You can also have the automation sequence leave the Christie on between shows and plug in a looping ad show from a DVD player or PC based playback system.

Using the Christie (or any other digital projector) can be more expensive than paying the ongoing costs of separate video projectors for each screen.

Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2008 05:54 PM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some cinemas have a separate LCD video projector mounted on one of the portholes. This can be connected to a laptop or desktop PC running a looping Powerpoint presentation for the preshow. Then, when the main show starts, the LCD projector is turned off and the main digital projector starts up.

I would have thought cinemas would produce their own preshow package with commercial advert slides that are sent to them - I don't know much about Screenvision or other packages though.

Some all-digital cinemas still use a 35mm slide carousel projector for their preshows! I guess it saves a fortune in bulbs [Wink]

Gary Davidson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2008 07:37 PM      Profile for Gary Davidson   Email Gary Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, gents. So I take it it’s pretty uncommon for theares to play pre-show on those big expensive Christie machines, mostly because of expense (bulb wear and tear)?

Regal is turning to digital, are any of their pre-shows shown on big digital projectors? Sorry... two questions there.

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2008 12:33 AM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gary Davidson
So I take it it’s pretty uncommon for theares to play pre-show on those big expensive Christie machines, mostly because of expense (bulb wear and tear)?
Not uncommon at all. I know of two chains, one large and one small, that both utilize their digital projectors for both preshow ads and feature. Carmike seems to be eliminating all slides and going to

Wear and tear or bulb life is debatable (multiple strikes vs. running continuously during the day). The benefit of providing high resolution full-motion ads is an attractive aspect of potential advertisers.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2008 01:50 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
National Cinemedia feeds their content (Firstlook) via satellite to a main server at the theatre which then feeds the appropriate content to the appropriate screens. Some ads can be changed day by day. Some theatres have plasma screens in their lobbies which also have a dedicated server, again fed via the same satellite dish.
Each of the dcn's (projectors) have their own computer which is where the content is stored.
Bulb life on the Christie LW-25 is relatively short, like 6 to 8 months.
The theatres playing all digital content (movies) play their Firstlook through their main projector, which means these theatres likely do go through more xenon bulbs...or rather, they need changing at more frequent intervals.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-13-2008 02:09 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By pre-show, are you talking about adverts and trailers?

If so, then they are always on film at the Clocktower, then we change over to either film or digital for the feature, whichever format that particular show happens to be. No adverts or trailers are on digital at the moment. I don't know if they are not available at present, or if a decision has been made to keep them on film for some reason. I have run the odd trailer on the digital projector a couple of times when I didn't have a film copy, but this was just a 1080p download running on Quicktime Pro on my laptop with DVI into the Cine IPM and optital digital audio into the Dolby DMA8 Plus. Not as good as proper digital cinema but it wasn't too far off; I was surprised at how good it actually looked.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2008 02:29 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my situaltion, the adverts are digital, the movie trailers are 35mm, like the feature.
In all digital situations, the adverts, the trailers and the feature all run through the same projector.

Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2008 03:09 PM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have an auditorium that's equipped with both 35mm film and digital projection, you may well have a mixture of film and digital.

Often the advert/trailer package runs through the 35mm projector, then it changes over to the digital projector for the movie. Instead of wasting time and money getting digital prints of the adverts and trailers, they just use the existing film versions they have.

That was the way things were done at the Sheffield Cineworld when I went to see Beowulf 3D and Nightmare Before Christmas 3D - adverts and trailers on film, then switch over to digital for the movie.

Of course, if you're a digital-only cinema, you have no choice but to run the adverts and trailers digitally [Wink]

I usually take 'pre-show' to mean the slides that are shown before the main projector starts up, usually on a slide projector or video projector, while non-sync sound plays during the intermission.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-13-2008 03:35 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone in this neck of the woods leaves the lamps on unleess it can be off for 1 hour or more... so yes the big machines are all being used for pre-show. Weather they look better would be another debate however....

Mark

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2008 07:38 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Thomas Pitt
Instead of wasting time and money getting digital prints of the adverts and trailers, they just use the existing film versions they have.

As far as I'm aware, Carlton are unable to supply Ads digitally, and I haven't heard anything at all about Arts Alliance supporting 'ingesting' 3rd party trailers into the Christie. It's actually a lot more of a waste of time, and possibly money, making up, loading and running an ads/trailer pack to run before a digital show, when it would be so much easier to just ingest digitally.

I should point out, this is my personal knowledge, and I may be out of the loop on the current situation.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-14-2008 11:17 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tristan Lane
Carmike seems to be eliminating all slides and going to
Carmike's going to what? You ended mid-sentence.

David Graham Rose
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2008 02:09 PM      Profile for David Graham Rose   Email David Graham Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings All

Carlton are able to supply rolling stock adverts digitally. They are mastered for 2K. Simple as that. Load. Add to playlist. Job done. Walk away.

David

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2008 11:56 PM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I must have walked away for a minute.

Carmike is using the Doremi and CP2000 for mpeg playback of advertising. Screenvision is supplying the content.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: