Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » No ignition (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: No ignition
Ken Jablonski
Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2008 11:19 AM      Profile for Ken Jablonski   Email Ken Jablonski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any one have any experience with an Electrohome/Christie/Roadie X8/Vistagraph 7000 projector. Ours is firing but not lighting the bulb. I can try over and over and some days it will light right away, some days it make take a few dozen sparks. Of course Christie hasn't serviced them for 5 years so they don't really have parts.
Any ideas how to proceed?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-07-2008 11:36 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a new bulb is in order to remedy this problem.

Ken Jablonski
Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2008 12:03 PM      Profile for Ken Jablonski   Email Ken Jablonski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tried that already. Worked for a week or so then back to the same. Started today on the 3rd try (9th spark).

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-07-2008 03:28 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No ignition
Those were two common words at NASA back in the late 50's [Big Grin] .

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-08-2008 12:41 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
.then sounds like the ignitor circuit has a tired cap in it that isn't building up the charge too well or the PS's startup voltage has problems.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-08-2008 09:58 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its time to E-Bay it off and get a replacement. No Joke... earlier projectors of which few total were sold are very hard to support. Were it more conventionally laid out like the current D-Cinema stuff it would be far more servicable. You may want to consoder a ZX... it should be servicable for a long time to come because of the huge number they have already sold.

Mark

Ken Jablonski
Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2008 10:45 AM      Profile for Ken Jablonski   Email Ken Jablonski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I spoke to a tech at Christie and they don't support it at all. They could possibly get me a used or re-built power supply from their junk warehouse. I guess the ignitor is part of the PS unit and they only dealt with it on a modular basis. Maybe a $3500 part. We bought it used for $1200 2 years ago. Budget is a big problem right now. Is the constant sparking but not starting going to hurt anything, like the bulb life? I'm running it off 208V (from a 3 phase service),the Christie guys said that should be good but now I'm not so sure. If its an ignitor cap it could be a cheap fix. I'll check that out, thanks.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2008 11:46 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the constant "sparking" but not lighting of the camp will damage the lamp and could contribute to early failure of the lamp. Have you verified the power coming in to the power supply? I am not familiar with the specific peice equipment you are asking about but it is possible in most lamp house power supplies to have power supplied to the ignitor circuit but not have power supplied to the transformers and bridge rectifier part of the supply due to a faulty contactor, breaker in the panel, loss of a leg of the three phase power. If you had a faulty contactor it is possible that it would make a connection some of the time and not others.

I have also seen problems similar to what you describe with the transformer in the power supply themselves. I have seen both an IREM and ORC (Strong) power supply where everything was changed out except for the transformers themselves and the only way we were able to rectify the problem was to change out the entire supply.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-09-2008 12:10 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The constant sparking may eventually toast the ac to high voltage step up transformer inside the ignitor as well. Consider looking for another used projector of the same make since your lamp is probably good anbd keep this opne around as a parts unit. Manufacturers discontinue support for many reasons... sometimes the frame(Make) the projector was built on is just not reliable or parts may be discontinued, etc.

Mark

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2008 02:59 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the same booth as Ken's the Electrohome Roadie, is a 35mm projector that is used aprox once a week for foriegn/art films. It has a 1970's vintage Christie Console that does something strange. When you turn on the bulb, it immediatly lights for a few seconds, shuts off for a few seconds, and then re-lights and is fine for the remainder of the show. In both cases, it strikes at the first attempt. Not really a problem, but seems strange that it does this.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2008 03:20 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried changing the lamp on this one?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-09-2008 03:36 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its not necessarily a bad lamp... one thing to consider is the operating current. If the lamp has alot of hours on it increasing the operating current will aid it in stabilizing and staying lit. Its normal to increase the operating current every few hundred hours not only to keep light levels constant but also due the increase in the gap between the electrodes.. IE: The tungsten vaporizes with use and the gap distance increases... for the lamp to operate properly its also going to need a slight increase in operating current.

Mark

Ken Jablonski
Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2008 04:44 PM      Profile for Ken Jablonski   Email Ken Jablonski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the 35mm lamp problem is there a direct adjustment for operating current?

Scott Christopher
Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2008 03:11 AM      Profile for Scott Christopher   Email Scott Christopher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's auto-strike it sounds like you have a high enough 'no-load' voltage. Check your diode bank and all connections. Last week I had a similar problem and I found 1 diode was dead. Once all diodes were replaced, it would run on first strike.

Ken Jablonski
Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2008 08:51 PM      Profile for Ken Jablonski   Email Ken Jablonski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks,
I'll check the diodes on the 35mm.
The "no strike" Electrohome worked great tonight and looks really good. It just took a few dozen strikes before it stayed lit.
Makes me crazy.
KEN

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: