Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Christie CP2000 Manual (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Christie CP2000 Manual
Brian Tristam Williams
Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2006 02:10 AM      Profile for Brian Tristam Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Tristam Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read on another topic that someone had the manuals for this machine, but needed permission to post it.

It was easy enough to find the manual for the Christie Cine-IPM2K (input modules and conversion), but the actual projector is proving troublesome.

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-02-2006 07:56 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The operation and setup manuals are normally inside the pedestal door.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 04-02-2008 01:40 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 487 days since the last post.

Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2008 01:40 PM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone provide a link to this manual (CP2000) or is it really that *hush*hush*?

Thanks,
Andrés

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-02-2008 10:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, Not hush-hush.. I have all the Christie manuals... you just need to attend the Christie training class to be able to get them... they are on a CD-ROM.

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-02-2008 10:58 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have a CP2000 manual and I didn't go through their training. [Roll Eyes]

Patrick de Groot
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2008 06:32 AM      Profile for Patrick de Groot   Email Patrick de Groot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it makes it really easy to distrute them because they are on cd-rom digital available. Guess PDF. Or are you not permitted to distrubte them? Stupid in that case.
What's wrong with making this stuff available on the website (or perhaps on a for registered owners section only).

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-03-2008 08:12 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patrick,

Why not just ask Tim... he has one...

Mark

Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2008 09:26 PM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So? Is anyone going to make a copy available for me? Let me explain my situation. I have one Cp2000 under my wing located 5000km. north of me, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. My guys there need assistance and I can´t give it to them without the manual. That´s all.

Thanks,
Andrés

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-03-2008 09:48 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Why not just ask Tim... he has one...
 -

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2008 10:17 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay.....We believe you. It's still alive........ [Big Grin]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-05-2008 03:22 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I thought that hard copy was the only one I had, but I just found a ton of .pdfs of the CP-2000 installation, wiring diagrams, and service bulletins...

HOWEVER, they are in a file folder marked CONFIDENTIAL, and since someone upstream entrusted me with them to begin with, I will not break that pact.

You probably should just contact Christie for SUPPORT.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-05-2008 07:50 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So they consider the instruction manual for the unit to be confidential? That's pathetic.

Shouldn't it be in the manufacturer's best interest to help its customers install and operate its products properly? What are they trying to hide? If the manual is any good, it should be entirely usable without the training class.

I feel the same way about the Kinoton manuals...although they are actually pretty useless, so it's less of a problem that they don't want them posted or distributed.

Some of these manufacturers really need to take a look at the Super Simplex manual. It has excellent diagrams and descriptive text, and explains installation, operation, maintenance, and common repairs clearly and concisely. None of the manuals for new equipment compare. The CP50 manual is also excellent.

[Confused]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-05-2008 08:16 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, the installation and service info has all the internal diagrams and stuff - and that is what was given me in confidence. The User's Guide might be okay, but I don't have that in .pdf form.

I'm with you, though. I've always been a proponent of thorough documentation and service literature. And, if the equipment's been patented, what's the big deal? [Roll Eyes] Unless they just want absolute and total control over the service, then I can see why they might not want it to get around.

Like everything else, though, in a short time it'll be all over the place and everyone will have copies.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-05-2008 09:49 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the deal...for the Christie manuals, like Kinoton, they are on a secure web site...as such the Manufacturer want to control their distribution, for whatever reason, that IS the priviledge of actually owning the copyright. Breaking that confidence by a dealer or service organization could be grounds for terminating that confidence. As such, I completely agree with Tim...then again, I wouldn't have made so many posts about having the manual that I couldn't distribute.

BTW Scott, the Kinoton manuals have gotten better with each revision, their service manuals (rarely seen) do indeed give the talented installer a great deal of information though it is not spoon fed.

As to Dolby, you'll note that their earlier manuals (CP200 and earlier) were definately very informative...however note, since the CP55, they were near useless except for the totally ignorant...with the exception of the cryptic signal flow and pinouts. It used to be that Dolby's patents and copyrights were enough to enforce their ideas and designs...nowadays, it is just easier to to withhold the information to begin with.

I do agree however, if it were "MY" company, I wouldn't mind user manuals being free and available to all to download...I can definately see restrictions on technical/service type manuals that can cause more harm than good. Generally, those that really need them can get them through the proper channels.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: