Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » The Dark Knight Trilogy in 70MM

Author Topic: The Dark Knight Trilogy in 70MM
Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2019 07:15 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy hits the road with 70mm IMAX theater tour

quote:
Let’s call this one The Dark Knight returns.

Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight trilogy, his trio of films starring Christian Bale as Batman, will return to theaters starting this month with a five-city tour of IMAX theaters that will present the seminal superhero collection in IMAX 70mm.

This is Nolan’s preferred filmmaking format, which he brought back again for Interstellar and Dunkirk, his two post-The Dark Knight Rises films. He’s also filming a mystery project for Warner Bros. that he’s already planning with an IMAX release in mind. So, in honor of the 80th anniversary of Batman’s first comic book appearance, Nolan will be present for the first stop on the select North American tour.

On Saturday, March 30 in California’s Universal Cinema AMC at Citywalk Hollywood, 2005’s Batman Begins, 2008’s The Dark Knight, and 2012’s The Dark Knight Rises will screen back-to-back. Between the second and third films, Nolan will join the audience for a moderated Q&A to discuss these films.

The trilogy will then pop up at New York City’s AMC Lincoln Square and San Francisco’s AMC Metreon on April 13, when the films will be shown in the same format, but footage of Nolan’s Q&A in Los Angeles will be screened in between instead of a live discussion. The same experience will be presented at stops in Toronto’s Cinesphere Ontario Place and the Indiana State Museum’s IMAX Theatre in Indianapolis on April 20.

Last year, The Dark Knight made a return to IMAX by itself for the film’s 10th anniversary. But this is the whole shebang.

“Christopher Nolan broke new ground with the Dark Knight Trilogy, and this is a rare chance for today’s audiences to experience these extraordinary films as they were meant to be seen,” Jeff Goldstein, Warner Bros.’ President of Domestic Distribution, said in a statement. “To have the added privilege of hearing Chris’s insights firsthand makes this a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.”

Tickets for all five city stops will go on sale starting Wednesday at 12 p.m. ET/9 a.m. PT. Those who receive tickets will receive a lanyard and special Dark Knight Trilogy collectible.

Stories like this make me sad that I moved from the Bay Area to Colorado, and angry with Regal for abandoning 70MM IMAX at the Colorado Center theater.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2019 07:59 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't get too upset. This will only benefit a few hundred people... And if you count the "sweet spot" of the room, about a hundred.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-14-2019 09:37 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
C'mon, it's really all about the lanyard and special Dark Knight Trilogy collectible.

Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2019 07:40 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, well just had to trash the idea to quell my innate jealousy.

Aron Toplitsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2019 12:33 AM      Profile for Aron Toplitsky   Email Aron Toplitsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering how is it possible for them to play 3 70MM IMAX films back to back?

In 2012 when The Dark Knight Rises was released and the trilogy was being screened, an AMC representative from corporate told me they were only able to show the digital versions, since there was no physical way to keep all three film versions at the theater. So my question is are these going to be the IMAX Laser versions or 15/70 film? And if it's film how will this be possible?

Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2019 10:00 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assumed changing platters, as daunting a proposal as that might be.

At one point the projectionist working Universal checked in here. Wish it would happen again.

Allan Young
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2019 02:45 AM      Profile for Allan Young   Email Allan Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's certainly doable. I don't know how it was managed in the booth but I attended an all-night screening of the trilogy in 70mm at the BFI IMAX a few years back.

Handily, they had free coffee in the lobby.

Sam King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2019 08:45 PM      Profile for Sam King   Email Sam King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even the smallest of IMAX booth should be able to hold 3, 2.5 hour 2D movies. If they were all 3D, that might pose a space issue, but on the typical modified 5 deck QTRU platter, you could easily have all 3 prints. Deck 1 would not be used as that deck is typically not modified for long films. Play the first film on deck 2 to 3, the second on deck 4 to 2, and the third on deck 5 to 4. You won't even have to whip out the lift!

We once had WB require us to play 3 Ant Bully 3D IMAX shows in the matinee (11am, 1pm, and 3pm) then 3 Superman Returns 3D IMAX shows in the evening (5pm, 8pm, 11pm) DAILY for a week. That's essentially FOUR prints, so we had to use the lift everyday at opening and at 4:30pm to swap out both eyes. Now that was ANNOYING!

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2019 09:25 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Sam that would be annoying! Tell WB to stick it lol.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: