Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » AMC The Dark Knight..What the Hell?? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: AMC The Dark Knight..What the Hell??
Aron Toplitsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2018 01:31 AM      Profile for Aron Toplitsky   Email Aron Toplitsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if any of you are aware that four theaters in North America will be re-releasing The Dark Knight in IMAX 70MM for one week starting August 24th in Toronto, Los Angeles, NY and San Francisco. I'm not sure about the Toronto theater, but the 2 in CA and the one in NY are only playing it once a day at 9pm? I contacted AMC about this and they said it was unlikely that more shows would be added. Huh?? WHY?? If you look for tickets they are pretty much sold for each night. You're lucky if you get a miserable front row seat. I keep checking their site to see if more shows were added but it looks like it hasn't so far.

I was just wondering if anyone has any information as to why AMC is making this terrible decision. Hopefully its a way of seeing how many people want to watch this re-release and more shows will follow.

|  IP: Logged

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2018 04:52 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are these going to be 15/70 prints? If so, perhaps AMC doesn't want to pay to bring in projectionists to run multiple shows a day. Just hypothetical. I have no proof of this.

Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2018 06:16 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fandango lists this as 70mm Imax.

We've seen evidence of some of the Nolan titles in storage (or disarray?) at previous shows at the Universal City screen, so it's great to see this potential being realized.

How did people hear about this? Universal has only 6 shows available starting 8/24, and as Aron said, they're sold out other than some seats in the first three rows, which you couldn't pay me to sit in.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2018 07:08 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only day I can go is Saturday the 25th but sold out! [Frown]

At the Cinesphere in Toronto.

Aron Toplitsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2018 09:16 PM      Profile for Aron Toplitsky   Email Aron Toplitsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,

I believe this was announced at Comic-Con, but I could have sworn prior to their announcement, the film was already starting to sell quick.

Chris Haller
Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2018 02:31 PM      Profile for Chris Haller   Email Chris Haller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Victor, are you sure about that? I just rounded up a group of friends and family to go, and we all have tickets for the 25th.

Sunday the 26th was definitely sold out, but my entire party got their tickets for Saturday.

I'm so looking forward to it. I saw a standard 35mm print here in Rochester back in the day, and was of the age where I couldn't tell you what a quality presentation was even if you paid me. Now that I'm much more in tune with how film should be presented, this opportunity was one I could not afford to miss.

Does anyone know anyone still involved with projection at any of these 4 booths? I'd love to know more info about these prints, like whether or not they're the prints that were struck from the negative, what stock they were printed on, or hell - if they're new prints, etc......

Aron Toplitsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2018 07:48 PM      Profile for Aron Toplitsky   Email Aron Toplitsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I called AMC Universal Hollywood today and I was told it's the studio that's limiting the shows. There is a possibility more will open up. So if that's true, why would Warner Bros do that? What could possibly be their reason? Universal also said to make noise on social media since they read it.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2018 10:28 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chris

It may have been a glitch on their website. I tried a second time and all was good till the end when it said error with a ton of code text. Not had a chance to try again.

Eric Richard
Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2018 07:19 PM      Profile for Eric Richard   Email Eric Richard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trying like hell to bring this to my theater in Houston, Regal Lone Star IMAX (formerly Silverado-IMAX)! Cant get anyone to believe that my MPX projector is still operational..but it is. Ironically the last film we presented in 15/70 was Dark Knight Rises. I think I will post some pictures on here, maybe someone from IMAX will see it. [Wink]

Chris Haller
Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2018 10:09 PM      Profile for Chris Haller   Email Chris Haller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eric,

How do you maintain your MPX these days? Run the occasional feature through it during off hours or something? Slide it into position every now and then to check all of the mechanical parts?

Eric Richard
Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2018 09:50 PM      Profile for Eric Richard   Email Eric Richard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Chris

I have a ton of trailers, first 20 minutes of Avatar and one feature. I have completed maintenance on the just about every component of the system (air compressor, humidifier, QTRU, control console, AE4 AND the projector). I never was to sure why IMAX wasnt happy with the MPX projector. I never had one film break during operation. After our conversion to digital IMAX we can only run 2D, which is a bit disappointing as the 3D was spectacular!

I just powered the system up and tested audio and its working perfectly. I have a trailer pack I plan to run tonight after closing. I will post some pictures when I have a chance.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2018 01:30 AM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It certainly is puzzling why a studio or a theater wouldn't add more shows if a film sold out. You really have to wonder what everyone is thinking.

Aron Toplitsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2018 10:39 AM      Profile for Aron Toplitsky   Email Aron Toplitsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just an update on this...Looks like AMC Sony Lincoln Sq in NYC and AMC Universal Hollywood added more showings starting Labor Day Weekend. The theater in Ontario added one additional showing prior to that weekend.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2018 11:21 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The IMAX Theater in the Indiana State Museum is playing it September 7-12 as well:

Search for The Dark Knight: The IMAX Experience in 70mm Film Showtimes

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2018 06:48 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin Brooks
It certainly is puzzling why a studio or a theater wouldn't add more shows if a film sold out. You really have to wonder what everyone is thinking.
Maintain demand for future similar shows? If you know that shows will be added, there is no urgency to buy tickets. If there's a good chance of a sellout it can become a self-fulfilling prophecy type thing.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: