Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » "Filmed With Imax Cameras" Poster Tag Line (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: "Filmed With Imax Cameras" Poster Tag Line
Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2016 10:29 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've recently done several private press screenings of this movie.
The publicity posters & handouts have this "Filmed With Imax Cameras"
tag-line at the bottom. I have no point to make- - I just find it curious.
 -
I assume there's going to be an IMAX version too, but none of the
press material I saw mentions that.(and for all I know this isn't the
'final' version of the poster, since I often get to see these things
months before their actual release)

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 08-27-2016 01:02 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I assume Imax *digital* cameras. Just another way for Imax marketing to whore themselves out and sully (pun intended!) the Imax name.

Tyler Purcell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2016 02:34 PM      Profile for Tyler Purcell   Author's Homepage   Email Tyler Purcell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's just the Alexa 65 with IMAX badging. The movie was shot at 6k, but will be presented in 4k of course, making it no different then any other movie. It's a real shame nobody has figured out 8k distribution yet, including the almighty IMAX.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2016 01:17 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
interestingly the theatrical presentation is scope while the IMAX version is framed at 1.90

Both Air & Space museums here in the Washington DC area are scheduled to book this.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-28-2016 08:57 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tyler Purcell
It's a real shame nobody has figured out 8k distribution yet, including the almighty IMAX.
Someday, probably sooner than we think. In the mean time I wonder if NHK in Japan has done anything further with their 7K distribution system that they were demo-ing for large-format venues a few years ago. Here's a link to my impressions of it from 2006:

quote:
Maybe they've licensed the 7K (7680x4320) UHDV system that Japan's NHK developed for the large-format venues that have been IMAX's niche. On a smaller MPX-size screen it looks pretty good for video, but of course it doesn't hold a candle to 1570 film.

My impressions of the 2006 NAB UHDV demo from another thread here

Tyler Purcell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2016 03:29 PM      Profile for Tyler Purcell   Author's Homepage   Email Tyler Purcell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its funny you mention the NHK demo. I've seen them for years as I've been a frequent NAB visitor for over a decade. I was impressed by the demo they did a few years ago, maybe 2010, which was well over 7k. Yet, it wasn't anything ready for primetime, using multiple cameras, projectors and playback systems to capture the image, vs one simple box.

There are already a few 8k cameras on the market, more on the way. Yet, nobody has even contemplated building a workflow for post and distribution. It frustrates me that MOST movies today are still 2k finishes because that's the minimal requirement. It's been around 5 years since 35mm projection went away and we're pretty much in the same place we left it. Yes, a full 4k shoot and finish with single laser projector on a normal sized screen, does look better then a typical 35mm print. Yet, we RARELY see that, even here in Los Angeles.

So I have a feeling 8k is a ways off and it's a real shame. In my opinion, IMAX doesn't have the resources to fully replace 15/70.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-31-2016 06:59 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jim Cassedy
I assume there's going to be an IMAX version too, but none of the
press material I saw mentions that.

I believe the trailers mention "See it in Imax."

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2016 10:49 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I believe the trailers mention "See it in Imax."
Thanks, Mike. In my line of work I rarely, if ever, actually see trailers.
In fact I got Deluxe/Technicolor to stop sending them since I was getting
tired of shipping them back!

UPDATE:
Up until now, all the screenings I did were 2K SCOPE. Apparently there
are also 4k versions that will be in an "Imax Aspect Ratio", as you can
see from this CPL list:
 -
It's all starting to make sense now!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-01-2016 12:29 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's just the Alexa 65 with IMAX badging. The movie was shot at 6k, but will be presented in 4k of course, making it no different then any other movie. It's a real shame nobody has figured out 8k distribution yet, including the almighty IMAX.
I could have sworn I saw it written somewhere that the IMAX branded version of the Alexa65 would be able to use custom 1.25x anamorphic lenses rotated 90° from the usual position to vertically squeeze a taller image into the 5/65mm shaped Alexa65 sensor. Similar lenses would be used on IMAX laser projectors to un-squeeze the image. Something like this would be necessary if they intend to fill the vertical area of an IMAX screen that used to show 15-perf 70mm film.

Regarding distribution at higher than 4K resolution, various technology limits and budgetary limits must be overcome first. It's a lot easier to shoot video at high resolutions than it is to project the same resolution on a big screen. Obviously there are no commercially available digital projection sensors that support higher than 4K resolution. Commercial cinema can't (or won't) do 4K in 3D yet. "HDR" is creating additional demands on the bit budget. Are any chip sensor manufacturing companies, such as Sony and Texas Instruments, even working at all on 6K or 8K projection chips?

Hollywood movie studios aren't pushing the limits of technological boundaries in movie production like they did 20 or 30 years ago. The bean counter types running things with an iron fist have commoditized new movies into product that is increasingly temporary and forgettable. They're very hesitant to spend extra to make a movie's image quality better. They might allow a high profile director like Peter Jackson or Ang Lee to try something different on a very limited basis. But they're going to force the HDTV quality 2K thing onto as many others as possible simply because it's far faster and cheaper to produce. They'll even do 2K and then lie their asses off with an up-rez to Fake-4K for Ultra-HD Blu-ray release.

Tyler Purcell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2016 07:31 PM      Profile for Tyler Purcell   Author's Homepage   Email Tyler Purcell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 1.4" 4k DLP imager is pretty much the industry standard today. Whether packaged in single or triple configurations, backed by any lamp source you want, there doesn't seem to be anything bigger on the horizon.

I do recall there being a problem with making DLP imagers large. You would think it wouldn't be so much of an issue, but I guess it is. Reminds me greatly of the whole OLED thing, where small panels are simple, but larger ones are extremely difficult to make and costly because there are many defects during the process.

So yea, you're spot on about the imager being an issue. However, double 4k imagers could solve that problem. So there are other issues a play and as pointed out, nobody really cares. They laid off or turned perfectly good projectionists into tech people and now we show BluRay's at the movie theaters instead of film. This is part of the reason I simply don't go to the movies much, it's a waste of time. I have a very nice DLP projector at home, BluRay player and decent enough home theater. I don't need to deal with people and pay the expense of seeing the identical product on the big screen that I can on my 6 foot wide screen at home. It's all about how close you are to the image and pixels per inch.

I didn't know about the anamorphic deal... that's really interesting.

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2016 01:14 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
I could have sworn I saw it written somewhere that the IMAX branded version of the Alexa65 would be able to use custom 1.25x anamorphic lenses rotated 90° from the usual position to vertically squeeze a taller image into the 5/65mm shaped Alexa65 sensor. Similar lenses would be used on IMAX laser projectors to un-squeeze the image. Something like this would be necessary if they intend to fill the vertical area of an IMAX screen that used to show 15-perf 70mm film.
They are definitely using a vertical anamorphic lens on the projection side in all of traditional IMAX theaters converted to laser. It would make sense to also use a vertical anamorphic on the image capture side as well.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-11-2016 09:18 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Filmed with Imax Cameras" = totally meaningless tag line since there is less than a handful of film based Imax locations left.

Mark

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-13-2016 06:04 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I cannot wait until the first IMAX TV starts shipping. It will be the day we can finally watch all those IMAX trailers like they're supposed to be watched... at home!

And... maybe, next year, the new Samsung Galaxy S8, with integrated IMAX screen and sound system will finally be available.

Don't you worry about a thing. Because when the people at IMAX say it is IMAX, it will totally be IMAX.

Tyler Purcell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2016 09:45 PM      Profile for Tyler Purcell   Author's Homepage   Email Tyler Purcell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ohh IMAX home theaters are around the corner. They will be 4k 1.90:1 aspect ratio devices with a special built-in player that accesses special IMAX streaming content through some provider like Netflix or Amazon. Screen size will be "huge" because in reality it's only about how big the image is based on human field of view. So theoretically you could make an 8 feet wide and 7 feet tall screen, front projector of course, where the viewer sits around 8 feet away and you'd have something marketable for rich people.

Did you know that rich people already have access to day and date first run movies? They pay upwards of $500 to stream NEW releases directly to their house without doing anything but lifting a finger. I'm sure the IMAX home system will be the same at first and then expand to the consumer.

When you have a board of directors, the only thing they're interested in is making money.

One question for those IMAX guru's out there... where are all those 15/70 projectors going?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-16-2016 11:14 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you have a board of directors, the only thing they're interested in is making money.
That is true, but the problem with Imax right now is that they sacrificed long-term profits for short-term. They are giving up the one thing that they had that was special and unique (15/70 projection) and selling their name at this point (for the most part). That name will mean about as much in a few years as "THX" does now ("THX-certified" VHS tapes were pretty much the end of "THX" as a symbol of quality).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: