Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » Star Wars 15/70 release (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Star Wars 15/70 release
Eric Richard
Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2015 01:16 AM      Profile for Eric Richard   Email Eric Richard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I have received calls inquiring about the operational status of my IMAX 70mm MPX projector. I just also read that IMAX is planning a 70mm Star Wars release. Anyone else hear anything?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-24-2015 08:46 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless something has changed, IMAX is done with film as of Interstellar.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2015 10:14 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's quite a number of sites and links that have been floating around since august touting that for the remaining Imax theaters with operational 15/70 gear they will get a dual strip 3D print. Just plug Force Awakens 70mm imax into google and pick any of the top results. Hopefully The Esquire in Sacramento will be running one as they have never deinstalled the 70mm system and use it during the week showing short documentaries for school groups.

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2015 01:22 PM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there even going to be 35mm prints made? they did shot it on film.

Matt Russell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2015 05:48 PM      Profile for Matt Russell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't be surprised cause it was shot on IMAX and film, but I think Force Awakens will be a much "smaller" 70mm IMAX release than for say, Interstellar was in terms of marketing.
quote: Paul Gordon
Is there even going to be 35mm prints made?
Very likely since basically every major Disney movie so far this year has received a 35mm.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2015 07:44 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad- in regards to the last 15/70 film; if it's ever released - Terrence Malick's "Voyage of Time" slated for 2016 is the possible hold out, last film specifically for those museum/science center IMAX screens that still have 15/70 systems:

from Variety (Feb. 3, 2015):

"Tuesday’s announcement said Malick is working first in the Imax format for a 40-minute version with scientific narration by Brad Pitt, followed by a 35mm feature-length version with narration by Cate Blanchett."

as for Hollywood films yes, I think we saw the last with 'Interstellar'

Aron Toplitsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2015 12:23 AM      Profile for Aron Toplitsky   Email Aron Toplitsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last year a manager at the Edward's Irvine Spectrum in Irvine CA told me they will be getting a 15/70 IMAX print. I'm not too thrilled that it will be a 3D IMAX release. From my experience, IMAX 15/70 3D doesn't look good.

Eric Richard
Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2015 07:23 PM      Profile for Eric Richard   Email Eric Richard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would be curious to know how many movie theaters can still run 15/70. Those that still have a functioning projector that's not just sitting in the corner of the booth collecting dust.

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2015 07:58 PM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Esquire will most likely show in 3D IMAX Digital. METREON has the IMAX laser projectors currently installed and if not now, the nXos2 12.0 sund system will be installed by the time of the film's release. The Tech will show it in 1570 2D on the dome. Not certain about the other legacy IMAX theater in NorCal, the Regal Hacienda Crossings. Last I knew, that theater still had both digital and 1570 systems.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2015 05:26 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I take it back. Joseph is correct. I got an email from the Esquire informing me The Force Awakens will be shown digitally there.

Eric Richard
Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2015 10:35 PM      Profile for Eric Richard   Email Eric Richard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK so they are releasing a 2D 15/70 version?

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2015 03:23 AM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the remaining IMAX domes, yes.

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2015 04:54 PM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Twenty theaters will be showing the film in 1570 (all apparently 2D prints). So far, I've been able to confirm that includes The Tech Museum in San Jose and MOSI in Tampa (both dome), Sydney IMAX at Darling Harbour, and the Indiana State Museum.

(prior edit indicated eight theaters. This number came from The Tech and may be the total number of IMAX dome theaters showing the film)

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2015 11:18 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I literally just bought tickets for a 70mm IMAX 2D show at the Indiana State Museum.

Get em while they're hot!

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-20-2015 09:21 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to IMAX

Link

The time has come... Star Wars: The Force Awakens IMAX tickets are on sale now!

We hope you are as excited as we are to experience the next episode in this epic saga in what J.J. Abrams and the Bad Robot team call the #bestformatever.

J.J. Abrams shot key sequences of the movie using IMAX cameras - the highest-resolution cameras in the world. Only in IMAX theatres will these sequences expand vertically to fill the entire screen with breathtaking image quality for a truly immersive experience.

In an effort to make Star Wars: The Force Awakens available to as many IMAX fans as possible in as many IMAX theatres as possible, we will be releasing the film across our various cutting-edge projection technologies including our xenon digital system, IMAX 15/70mm film and our next-generation laser system.

We have listed the locations below that will be offering either IMAX with laser or IMAX 15/70mm film projection:

Also be sure to check out the Star Wars promotions in which IMAX is participating below:

Star Wars Saturdays: Each Saturday, from December 19 to January 9, at Regal theatres the first 500 guests who experience Star Wars: The Force Awakens in IMAX will receive a collectable ticket featuring unique Star Wars: The Force Awakens art. New art will be revealed each week.

Star Wars Sundays: Each Sunday, from December 20 to January 10, guests who purchase a ticket to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens in IMAX 3D will receive an AMC-exclusive Star Wars print from artist Dan Mumford. A new poster will be revealed each week.

The following theatres will be playing Star Wars: The Force Awakens in IMAX 3D on IMAX with laser (please note this list is subject to change):

US/Canada

California

TCL Chinese Theatres IMAX – Hollywood

AMC Metreon 16 & IMAX – San Francisco

AMC Universal CityWalk Stadium 19 & IMAX – Universal City

Massachusetts

Sunbrella IMAX 3D Theatre, Jordan’s Furniture Reading – Reading

Ontario

Scotiabank Toronto & IMAX – Toronto

Virginia

Airbus IMAX, Stephen F. Udvar-Hazy Center – Chantilly

Washington

Boeing IMAX, Pacific Science Center – Seattle

International

IMAX, Melbourne Museum – Australia

Event Cinemas Queen Street IMAX – New Zealand

VOX Cinemas & IMAX - UAE

Cinestar Berlin & IMAX - Germany

Filmpalast AM ZKM IMAX - Germany

Empire Leicester Square IMAX – United Kingdom

Cineworld Sheffield & IMAX – United Kingdom

The following theatres will be playing Star Wars: The Force Awakens in IMAX 2D on IMAX 15/70mm film projection (please note this list is subject to change):

US/Canada

Alabama

McWane Center IMAX Dome Theatre – Birmingham

IMAX, U.S. Space & Rocket Center – Huntsville

California

Hackworth IMAX Dome, The Tech Museum – San Jose

Florida

Museum of Discovery & Science AutoNation IMAX – Ft. Lauderdale

IMAX Dome, Museum of Science & Industry – Tampa

Indiana

IMAX, Indiana State Museum - Indianapolis

Iowa

Blank IMAX Dome, Science Center of Iowa – Des Moines

Missouri

Branson’s IMAX, Entertainment Complex – Branson

St. Louis Science Center OMNIMAX Theatre – St. Louis

Pennsylvania

Tuttleman IMAX, The Franklin Institute– Philadelphia

International

LG IMAX, Darling Harbour – Sydney, Australia

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: