Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » CURRENT IMAX INSTALLS NO LONGER BELONGS IN THIS FORUM (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: CURRENT IMAX INSTALLS NO LONGER BELONGS IN THIS FORUM
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-30-2015 04:36 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Since IMAX has officially dropped all 15/70 it in no way is appropriate to post about their silliness in the Large Format Forum anymore...because it's not.

Only actual 15/70 large format discussions are to be posted in this forum.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-30-2015 10:39 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would assume installations of other digital "large format" theaters, like Regal RPX, AMC's Prime/ETX, Cinemark's XD, Carmike's Big D, etc., etc., etc. no longer belong here either. As if any of the premium digital stuff ever belonged in this forum in the first place.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-30-2015 11:58 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
The description of this forum is, and always has been, "Forum exclusively for discussion of 8/70 and 15/70 film formats."

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-01-2015 06:56 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps it would be appropriate to have a PLF forum.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-01-2015 08:38 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that stuff needs to be referred to as "large format" or "PLF" since there is nothing truly large format about any of those digital-based concepts. When one figures in the lower resolution of digital 'scope blown up great big it actually seems like anti large format.

Terms like "premium priced theaters" or "premium big screens" might be more accurate.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-01-2015 09:20 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's also a discrepancy here in naming. Large format refers to the medium.

Digital premium concepts, no matter how large the screen, don't use "extra large hard disks".

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-01-2015 11:36 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They don't show more pixels of native image detail than standard priced theaters either.

IMAX' method of doubling two of the same image over the top of each other does NOT equate to doubling image resolution or detail, even though they try to imply that with their marketing fluff. So many IMAX fans have bought into that nonsense, swearing up and down they're seeing something extra in an digital IMAX presentation of a movie versus seeing it in a standard priced theater.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-01-2015 11:48 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So if you're a museum or other public attraction, will IMAX no longer sell / rent / lease you a 15-70 setup for sciencey movies?

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2015 11:52 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I believe that you could still get one. But why would you want one? There is no way that it could be economically viable? And you will not get DMR Hollywood films in 15/70.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-01-2015 01:35 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Terry Lynn-Stevens
But why would you want one?
I can think of several reasons: a) because it looks better than any other motion-picture format, past or present; b) because some venues want dome screens and there is no [dlp] option for those yet; c) because there might be some 15/70 titles that one wants to play that are not available in any other format (are there any of these?); and d) because it is awesome and big-screen TV is not.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-01-2015 01:51 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
why would a museum want one well there are still large libraries of 1570 film the economy of there rent is good so I don't see a reason a museum or sciencecentre would not use one DMR is a blip and always has been on a market that it moved into

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-01-2015 02:30 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The theater where I work used to show 8/70 but has converted to digital.

Now we just call it "Giant Screen."
i.e. Not referring to the film or projector format but the size of he screen.

Since most customers don't understand the technology to begin with, it's the only term that they can relate to which wouldn't constitute false advertising or stoop to empty, marketing buzzwords.

Just telling them "digital" and "giant screen" is enough information for 90% of the people.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2015 03:31 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, have you seen the replacement for 15/70?

As for laser prints, the 15/70 titles are now available (and becoming available)for IMAX distributed IMAX film.

The new laser projection fills the screen fine and is brighter than a 15/70 projection. The color can be debated but the DMR stuff looks pretty damn good for a 90 foot screen, I am sure the 15/70 sourced material will look even better. And if you have no chance at obtaining any DMR prints, then you would be a real fool to invest in a new 15/70 facility. The older IMAX set up is a obsolete solution.

You can still obtain the older 15/70 prints but there are no DMR Hollywood titles going forward.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-01-2015 06:56 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
They don't show more pixels of native image detail than standard priced theaters either.
Let's call it LPF then: Large Pixel Format. [evil]

Eric Richard
Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2015 05:28 PM      Profile for Eric Richard   Email Eric Richard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hollywood DMR may be done, but in no way is IMAX 15/70 finished. I spoke with MacGillivray Freeman Films just the other day about getting the Everest documentary to coincide with the feature film Everest. He mentioned it was only available in 15/70, as well as many of their older titles. And what about Interstellar? That had a IMAX 15/70 release, although extremely limited.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: