Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » UNIVERSAL FILM LIBRARY

Author Topic: UNIVERSAL FILM LIBRARY
John Ellsberry
Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2014 10:08 AM      Profile for John Ellsberry   Email John Ellsberry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there list of 15/70 films that each theater has on hand?
We were asked to destroy a few prints recently that were in good condition, only because we are lacking in storage space and the distributors did not want them back. Is it possible that other theaters would have wanted them, if they were never screened at those theaters? Right now we are showing an old worn print of BEAVERS (a few times a week for the kids), and I was wondering if there was a theater out there that had a good print of BEAVERS that might be heading to the chopping block?

|  IP: Logged

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-17-2014 09:02 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, my head just exploded. WTF?

Seems to me that with so few theatres left that are playing film, that among them they should keep as many of the existing prints as they can, possibly bicycling them between each other. That would at least keep their ability to present true IMAX film alive for that much longer before the inevitable.

My understanding is that the IMAX theatres own the prints, is that correct? Why would it band-saw a property that it can still use unless it's already made the decision to go to the dark side and convert?

Ivan Plamondon
Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2014 02:42 PM      Profile for Ivan Plamondon   Email Ivan Plamondon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Storage will always come into play as will the requirement to keep the room at the appropriate temperature and humidity.

Most Hollywood films are destroyed rather than paying for return shipment.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-17-2014 09:53 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even though an exhibitor may not be able to store a 15/70 print at ideal conditions, the alternative can't to junk it altogether? Aren't all IMAX prints polyester base and low fade, LPP stock? So how is it better to junk them than to store then, even at less than ideal conditions?

Ivan Plamondon
Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2014 08:42 AM      Profile for Ivan Plamondon   Email Ivan Plamondon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the passion of holding on to prints may be in the hearts of projectionists only! In the real world, it's all about cost savings. I've thrown out Hollywood prints based on the direction of proprietary owners. Sad to see them destroyed, my favorites being IRON MAN 3 and Star Trek's "Into Darkness". Let's hope that Barco's laser projectors become the best alternative in the years to come.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2014 10:02 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank, are referring to Hollywood DMR prints, if that is the case then those prints are rediculosly huge to be able to be stored easily. And they are heavy too, so breaking them down and storing them off-site becomes a huge hassle. Also, not many DMR titles are ever played again, so the chances of playing it are pretty much not likely.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2014 01:29 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ivan Plamondon
Let's hope that Barco's laser projectors become the best alternative in the years to come.
You could ask your manager/owners (what they thought) if he/she attended the recent IMAX event in Toronto (close to Toronto actually) where GT/SR/GT3D and MPX owners/clients/related folks were given a demo. The new sound system as well as a 4K upgraded-to-laser dual projector for multiplex screens were demoed.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-22-2014 06:06 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Instead of feeding those prints to the shredder, why not give them away to collectors for free?

Yeah, I know, copyright issues... But heck, those movies, especially those DRM features, are out there in any digital form anyway and it's not like you can play a 70mm IMAX print anywhere you want without getting noticed.

Many classic movies would have completely disappeared without the involvement of private collectors.

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2015 03:43 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a ton of litigation this person could get into by giving/selling them to collectors, particularly if the order is a DESTROY order. However, reaching out to the distributor and asking to send it to an archive instead might be met with a less-harsh reaction.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: