Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » Who is still installing IMAX? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Who is still installing IMAX?
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-26-2014 05:30 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think any of the big boys are going to be installing IMAX systems going forward since they all have their own version of it (RPX, AVX, 3DX or whatever), so what theater chains does this leave installing IMAX?

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-26-2014 10:07 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carmike has a deal with IMAX to install a few more of those screens. In March, they opened a new IMAX-branded house in Franklin, TN (in the Thoroughbred 20).

AMC has the most IMAX-branded theaters (more than 130 of them). AMC has a few more planned to open. Their parent company is installing them in China. AMC has less than 20 of those ETX & Prime theater screens. Although I would prefer a Prime house to an IMAX Digital house; Dolby Atmos is a big difference.

Regal is adding RPX theaters, but they have a lot of IMAX-branded houses. According to IMAX' theater map they have one due to open in Miami.

An independent theater operator in Temple, TX is opening one.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2014 10:40 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So far in 2014 (Jan 1st-today) there have been 28 new IMAX multiplex locations that have opened in the United States. In Canada there were 2 new locations. I am sure most of these are from the chain organizations. (There were also four non multiplex IMAX closures)

In the United States and Canada, there are 53 future locations that have yet to open but are scheduled or signed.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-26-2014 11:29 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry, I have no interest in numbers or PR marketing. I'm curious as to WHO is still installing IMAX. Your post defined none of them. Do you know specifics?

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-27-2014 07:43 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Regal on Lincoln Road, Miami Beach ready to go. The screen crew has several months of bookings remaining for this year; not all IMAX but all large.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2014 05:08 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMC is installing an IMAX digital screen at their Monmouth Mall 15 complex in Eatontown NJ, and just opened a brand new theatre in Somerville MA (Assembly Row 12) this past Thursday which includes an IMAX digital screen. But yes, the number of ne IMAX digital builds has slowed considerably over the past couple years.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-28-2014 08:56 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMAX-branded installations have slowed, but some of this could be due to already saturated markets. Just about any place that could support an IMAX-branded auditorium already has one.

The pace definitely picked up over the last couple years with regard to chains installing their own private label, premium priced theaters. There is still a question over how many of these screens they can install before reaching a saturation point.

There is also a question of ticket price fatigue creeping into the equation. Some people already go out of their way to see 2D versions of movies to avoid the 3D surcharges. With so many premium priced houses being built it may have some customers feeling like they need to wait at least a week or two for a big new movie release to play in smaller, less expensive auditoriums. Or they wind up not seeing the movie in the theater at all.

Obviously multiplex theaters with an IMAX-branded house and/or some other premium priced concept will usually have the same movie in one or two other standard priced houses. This isn't always the case. Unfortunately a lot of customers don't look too closely at the fine details, like what show time of a certain movie is playing in which specific auditorium. Depending on the theater chain, some of the directory listings don't make details very clear either. The customers just show up at the theater wanting to see the movie at 7:30pm, hoping to pay $10 per ticket, but getting hit for $16 per ticket instead. Who wants to wait around a half hour or so for the 2D, non-premium show to start? Doing so might make certain customers look like cheapskates to their significant others.

Obviously lots of people are going along with this digital so-called "large format" thing for now. But there is potential for it to hit resistance just like what has been happening with 3D.

Jason McMillan
Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2014 01:16 PM      Profile for Jason McMillan   Email Jason McMillan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Premiere Cinema (TX, NM, AL, FL), while certainly an independent, is still deploying IMAX theatres. PCC is scheduled to open the company's newest IMAX auditorium this summer at the PCC Temple Mall location.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-28-2014 01:23 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That one in Temple, TX I mentioned earlier must be the one for Premiere Cinema.

When I looked over IMAX' theater locations map of North America I saw maybe 5 or 6 red "coming soon" flags. Most of the coming soon ones were with AMC. Regal had one in Miami and Premiere had the one in Temple.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2014 01:49 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
There is also a question of ticket price fatigue creeping into the equation.
Not sure about your area, but in my area additional premium priced auditoriums are being added to theatres that already have existing premium priced auditoriums. These auditoriums are in high demand near me, one such multiplex close to me has 22 auditoriums with 7 of them being premium priced, what is interesting is that the 15 theatres that are not premium priced are priced at $12.99 for standard non-3D tickets.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2014 01:55 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously lots of people are going along with this digital so-called "large format" thing for now.
I have to respectfully disagree, Bobby. The vast majority of our guests who buy tickets for our IMAX shows are there specifically for the IMAX show. They're just just "doing along" with it, but actively seeking it out. They'll show up at 6:30pm to buy tickets for the 7:45pm IMAX 3D show, even though there is a 7:00p 2D show. They'll go get something to eat at one of the restaurants near our theatre, and ask our Guest Service person on their way in when tickets for Movie X will be on sale, if they aren't already.

If anything, the exhibitors who might be planning on having their PLFs replace IMAX need to work on better branding. I've never seen a movie in a PLF, 2D or 3D, but I don't know if any of them use one projector or two. If they use two projectors, but use the same "prints" as single projector setups, how does the 3D work? Show me why your PLF is as good or better than IMAX. Because, right now, IMAX's branding is far and away above everyone else.

Jason McMillan
Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2014 02:02 PM      Profile for Jason McMillan   Email Jason McMillan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That one in Temple, TX I mentioned earlier must be the one for Premiere Cinema.
Oh you sure did mention it, I didn't even see that. But yes, that's PCC's 4th IMAX location... and they sell like gangbusters... so I'm sure the company wouldn't be opposed to looking at other locations in the future.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 04-28-2014 02:38 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new Regal Winrock Stadium 16 here in Albuquerque (opened about four months ago) has a new digital IMAX screen, as well as an RPX screen.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2014 03:21 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, there's a couple mistypes in my post above and the edit timelimit has expired. I meant to say "They're not just 'going along' with it," when I mentioned my guests' habits about IMAX.

I get maybe one concern a month, either in person or on Yelp, from someone who is unhappy we aren't a "true" IMAX theatre, but almost everyone is very pleased with the overall presentation. We'll see what happens if and when we get a PLF.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2014 12:11 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NEW YORK and LEAWOOD, Kan., Aug. 18, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- IMAX Corporation IMAX, +2.55% (IMX) and AMC Entertainment Holdings, Inc. AMC, +0.43% today announced an expansion of the companies' existing joint revenue sharing arrangement with the addition of 11 IMAX® theatres. The theatres, which will carry 13-year lease terms from the date of installation, are expected to be installed in 2015 in cities that include Chicago, New York, Newark and Phoenix. Today's agreement brings AMC's total IMAX commitment to 159 theatres and reinforces its position as the largest IMAX exhibitor in North America.

"Guests are choosing AMC because they know they'll get the best possible movie-going experience, including more immersive IMAX theatres than anyone else in North America," said Gerry Lopez, CEO and president of AMC. "We look forward to strengthening our longstanding successful partnership and bringing The IMAX Experience® to more moviegoers across the United States"

"For nearly a decade, AMC and IMAX have worked together to bring millions of movie fans across North America the best cinema-going experience possible," said IMAX CEO Richard L. Gelfond. "Our collaborations continue on many fronts, most recently on new marketing initiatives which include developing custom IMAX content for AMC's marketing channels, successfully generating awareness of our brand and experience. We see today's agreement with AMC as an endorsement of the long-term viability of the IMAX domestic business and anticipate many more years of shared success."

The agreement terms include six new sites and the confirmation of five previously conditional sites.

And AMC Theatres Sign 11-Theatre Deal; Brings AMC IMAX Footprint To 159 Theatres web page

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: