Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » ASL lamps

Author Topic: ASL lamps
Ivan Plamondon
Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2014 02:00 PM      Profile for Ivan Plamondon   Email Ivan Plamondon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking for feedback on anyone using ASL lamps for film projectors.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-26-2014 04:17 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have had relatively good luck with them

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-27-2014 08:49 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Though we have not supplied them for large-format...we have historically supplied ASL lamps and they have done very well and are very well supported by the company.

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2014 05:40 PM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been about 3 years since I was in a theater, but we had used ASL lamps. In 11 years in the theater industry prior, I had only had 1 lamp ever explode. In the 2 years I was at this last theater, we had 3 explode, and 1 exploded shortly after I left there. Then they went digital. The nice thing was we had metal reflectors, so it only scratched them up. They, at least at the time, did a 100% warranty, so if it exploded, or you had to remove in for any other reason, they would just send you a new bulb. We did also have a series of 6 bulbs that would not maintain a stable arc after about 500 hours, but they finally figured out that the tungsten had the wrong mix of other elements, essentially it was a bad batch of bulbs. I cannot say that I recommend them, but the 100% warranty does make up somewhat for the lack of quality control.

I would not recommend them for digital.

Ivan Plamondon
Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2014 10:28 AM      Profile for Ivan Plamondon   Email Ivan Plamondon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your input everyone! Keep it coming.

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2014 05:43 AM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, from ASL's website:

quote:
Advanced Specialty Lighting was formed in July 2003 through the acquisition of the business formerly known as ORC and the Entertainment and Lithography Division of PerkinElmer, Inc.

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2014 12:29 PM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've currently running my first lamp of their, a 2000w one in a Christie CP2000, and its a good stable light and has been running around 1400 hours so far (out of a warranted 2200). Over that time my wattage has steadily increase from 1600w to now 1710w to maintain the F.L. on screen; so fingers crossed it lasts it's time. Though now ORC is mentioned, rather worried, as I never had much luck with those years ago on 35mm, generally failing quite short of time (though never any big bangs)

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 07-07-2015 07:55 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 452 days since the last post.

Burleigh Ibbott
Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2015 07:55 AM      Profile for Burleigh Ibbott   Email Burleigh Ibbott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since i have gone digital the lamps are pretty poor. We used Ushio and Osram before all pretty good but expensive. Tried ASL at £380 a pop and found out why so cheap. Never reached half there life as they developed a yellow tinge and not very bright (2000w). Got too many complaints in Hobbit 3 3D as it was too dark. It only done 900 hours by then. I have been told that since they moved the manufacturing to Poland the lamps are very poor.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: