Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » Hobbitt II - Smaug - any 15/70 showings? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hobbitt II - Smaug - any 15/70 showings?
Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2013 11:16 PM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being from the San Diego corner of the US, naturally, I'm focussing in on possible Southern California cinemas, but don't let me stop the worldwide discussion...

|  IP: Logged

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2013 04:54 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well there are certainly 1570 prints being made although I think this may be as low a number as 20 worldwide.
We are haaving one here in Bradford ,UK and it is my understsnding that BFI IMAX in LOndon will aslos have one.

I'm afraid I can't add any more info right now.

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2013 09:03 AM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Melbourne Museum will have it in both 15/70 3D and LieMAX HFR 3D.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2013 12:33 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dick Vaughan
I think this may be as low a number as 20 worldwide
I think the release might be down to as low as 15 prints. There are a few theatres that played Catching Fire that are not playing The Hobbit 2.

In Canada, IMAX Quebec is the only theatre playing Hobbit 2 in 15/70 that I know of. All other locations are to be shown in digital.

Iowa has a print. It will on a dome screen..
Henry Ford
Seattle has it booked along with DHOOM as the next title.
San Antonio
Bob Bullock
Minnesota
Chicago
Fort Lauderdale

There should be a few others.

Jeff Arellano
Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2013 05:20 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From my understanding Hobbit will be the last 70mm film at the Rave 18 Los Angeles. It will be installing a digital projector after the end of its Hobbit run. Apparently Hobbit is the last 70mm IMAX film.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2013 05:51 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff, that is really sad to hear.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-07-2013 06:09 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Terry Lynn-Stevens
Seattle has it booked along with DHOOM as the next title.
Does this mean they're opening it later than its normal release date? Because the only 1570 IMAX in Seattle is the Science Center downtown and they have showtimes already into first week of the new year and no DHOOM 3 listing (and it's supposed to be released on the 20th of this month).

Granted, it's not uncommon for bollywood movies to get released state-side later than in India, but releasing on the same date is more the norm lately, especially for these bigger releases.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2013 09:13 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dick Vaughan
it is my understsnding that BFI IMAX in LOndon will aslos have one
Hi Dick, is BFI a dual digital/1570 IMAX cinema?

quote: Chris Slycord
Does this mean they're opening it later than its normal release date? Because the only 1570 IMAX in Seattle is the Science Center downtown and they have showtimes already into first week of the new year and no DHOOM 3 listing (and it's supposed to be released on the 20th of this month).
Dhoom will be opening in December as per the website but you are correct the showtimes indicate no room for it as all showtimes are for Hobbit 2 until Jan 5.

Allan Young
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2013 07:52 AM      Profile for Allan Young   Email Allan Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is BFI a dual digital/1570 IMAX cinema?
Yes it is. Digital projection was added in July 2012.

At the time of the conversion the operators claimed that 15/70 prints would continue to be used if they were available.

This pledge lasted approximately three months. They used a digital copy of Skyfall in October.

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2013 09:31 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jeff Arellano
Apparently Hobbit is the last 70mm IMAX film.
Last DMR IMAX feature length conversion?

I have a new IMAX documentary 1570 film print booked for next April. And another new release booked after that.

IMAX won't convert some screens to digital cinema (or add digital cinema) until 2015, maybe later.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2013 09:49 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
unless they are announcing the opening this week, none of the three 15/70 Smithsonian IMAX screens are showing this ... [Confused] ... [Frown]

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2013 10:34 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed that too, Hunger Games 2 is playing at the Airbus IMAX, they are booked until Jan 5th, I have feeling they will be playing to a lot of empty shows by that point.

Perhaps this is in fact the end for the DMR 15/70 film print releases as I really have not heard all that much about the success of these showings, there is not much in the media or on the fans forums from I seen and there was almost no buzz about the Catching Fire IMAX sequences this time around. The bookings for Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises was truly an extraordinary event and perhaps gave these stand alone IMAX theatres false hope.

It really is too bad that IMAX got into the Hollywood scene so late, the 1980's would of been the perfect time to release 70mm IMAX Hollywood movies for very long box office runs.

quote:
I have a new IMAX documentary 1570 film print booked for next April. And another new release booked after th
IMAX has confirmed via interviews in the press as close as late November that they will still supply 70mm prints to those who want them. For the DMR stuff, they are well aware that Kodak could stop making prints anytime which could cause problems if that happens.

quote: Jeffry L. Johnson
IMAX won't convert some screens to digital cinema (or add digital cinema) until 2015, maybe later.
Did they give you a reason?

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2013 09:47 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did they give you a reason?
That's the announced rollout date for dome screens.

Here's Brian Bonnick, IMAX chief technology officer, speaking at September's GSCA conference about the next-generation laser IMAX digital system.
quote:
Mid-next year, we're putting beta systems or field trial systems out into the marketplace with a GT launch at the end of the year and dome to follow shortly thereafter in the 2015 timeframe.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-09-2013 08:14 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dhoom will be opening in December as per the website but you are correct the showtimes indicate no room for it as all showtimes are for Hobbit 2 until Jan 5.
Well, I only mentioned the 20th since that's the date on a standee I saw at a local cinema. My guess is that it's only playing in the IMAX theaters in India and the normal places here in the states that have bollywood fare.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2013 08:33 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jeffry L. Johnson
That's the announced rollout date for dome screens.

Here's Brian Bonnick, IMAX chief technology officer, speaking at September's GSCA conference about the next-generation laser IMAX digital system.

IMAX is not offering the older purpose built IMAX theatres the current digital set up because most of the content in the IMAX catalog for these theatres has not been DMR'd for the 2K system. Also, the current digital system was never really intended to replace GT or SR projectors, it was designed to replace MPX systems and to be the new projector for new conversions that have smaller screens than.

More recently, IMAX has begun to install the IMAX digital system that they currently have in existing 15/70 theatres that are committed to Hollywood DMR movies. The world's largest IMAX screen now has a dual digital projector to go along with their 15/70 unit.

The content for the new Barco projectors will be able to play catalog movies like the ones you are playing at your OMNIMAX theatre. In November IMAX outsourced a company who will do the scanning of the 70mm negatives for the 4K Barco units. IMAX says these new projectors are a game changer, we'll see I guess but at least they will have the 15/70 aspect ratio.

quote: Chris Slycord
Well, I only mentioned the 20th since that's the date on a standee I saw at a local cinema. My guess is that it's only playing in the IMAX theaters in India and the normal places here in the states that have bollywood fare.
I guess Dhoom 3 is a digital only release.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: