Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » Toronto Scotiabank IMAX goes digital, no longer plays 15/70 film (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Toronto Scotiabank IMAX goes digital, no longer plays 15/70 film
Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2013 04:56 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just found tonight from an employee who works at the Scotiabank IMAX Toronto that the theatre will no longer show 70mm IMAX films. They have currently closed the auditorium for renovations as they are changing over to digital projection.

For those who are not aware, the Scotiabank IMAX auditorium was a purpose built IMAX venue located within the multiplex. The theatre has 408 seats and boasts a screen that is 90 feet. The Scotiabank IMAX was the last theatre in the Greater Toronto Area that was showing IMAX Hollywood films in 70mm.

Cineplex was charging $19.99 for 15/70 shows at this location.

It is a sad day for the Toronto area.

|  IP: Logged

Ivan Plamondon
Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2013 05:19 PM      Profile for Ivan Plamondon   Email Ivan Plamondon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is the way of the future for these theaters. I wonder if they are running the new laser Barco projectors?

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2013 05:28 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Cineplex would install the new projector at Scotiabank, they are known for doing things on the cheap. Plus, their other megaplex, the former AMC 24 just 1.5 kms away already has a digital screen how do you advertise it.

I am surprised they have Atmos installed at a few of their cinemas and I was really shocked they re-installed a 70mm projector for The Master at the Varsity.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2013 03:28 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Barco/IMAX laser projectors aren't due to be rolled out for a few months yey AFAIK so they may be installing the current 2K Xenon system as an interim.

Ivan Plamondon
Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2013 10:16 AM      Profile for Ivan Plamondon   Email Ivan Plamondon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still testing the new laser units? What make projectors (2K) do you think Scotiabank went with?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-05-2013 10:28 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMAX has an exclusive BARCO deal. This includes current xenon and future laser illuminated projectors. Previously, they installed Christie engines.

- Carsten

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-05-2013 10:35 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as IMAX Digital goes, it is at its absolute WORST in IMAX theaters originally configured for 15-perf 70mm projection. The bigger you blow up that HDTV resolution image the worse it is going to look. It's basically a giant sized blurry joke.

The laser projection system might be an improvement, but only if it really uses native 4K resolution (and only plays native 4K resolution content). If it's still only 2K then it's still going to be crap. Even with 4K it would still be no match for real 15/70 material.

Stefan Vogels
Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2013 02:15 PM      Profile for Stefan Vogels   Email Stefan Vogels   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMAX is currently rolling out the 4K Barco xenon types ( modified DP4K 32B ).

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2013 03:01 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ivan Plamondon
Still testing the new laser units? What make projectors (2K) do you think Scotiabank went with?
Any word on when Niagara IMAX is going digital?

Ivan Plamondon
Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2013 11:35 AM      Profile for Ivan Plamondon   Email Ivan Plamondon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just recently intalled the QTRU in June. I would think we are a long ways away from converting to digital. And thus far, the future looks bleak for running DMR releases if we don't get more patrons through the doors. Our thetrical lifeline is in the hands of Asian tour groups that come by the bus load to watch our Niagara feature (from 1986).

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2013 11:28 AM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 15/70 machine is still in the booth at Scotiabank. [Smile]

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2013 04:10 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stefan Vogels
IMAX is currently rolling out the 4K Barco xenon types
Who told you that?

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2013 02:20 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cameron sorry for missing your question to me...I was told by tech's who work for Cineplex that the 15/70 projector is still in the booth.
I don't know if it's been set up on rails for quick re-position or not but I hope so.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2013 08:51 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Victor Liorentas
Cameron sorry for missing your question to me...I was told by tech's who work for Cineplex that the 15/70 projector is still in the booth.
I don't know if it's been set up on rails for quick re-position or not but I hope so.

It might still be there but I don't think Cineplex is interested in running 15/70 at all. I guess we will see with Catching Fire as there are 15/70 for that film.

I read a rumor somewhere that the film does not go to IMAX until the big final conclusion. I now can't find the info.

Ivan Plamondon
Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2014 08:31 AM      Profile for Ivan Plamondon   Email Ivan Plamondon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scotiabank listed as running Interstellar using 15/70 projection. Can anyone verify this?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: