Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » Precursors IMAX

Author Topic: Precursors IMAX
Ilse Deroose
Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2013 05:06 PM      Profile for Ilse Deroose   Email Ilse Deroose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know what the precursors of IMAX are?
Are there any others besides cinerama?

|  IP: Logged

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-17-2013 05:38 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. It was a process called Polivision that Abel Gance used in his film NAPOLEON in 1927

-Claude

Ilse Deroose
Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2013 06:24 AM      Profile for Ilse Deroose   Email Ilse Deroose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Claude!
Do you know imax magic carpet? And what precursor this system has?

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2013 09:29 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The answer depends upon what you consider a "precursor".

70mm?

The first documented 70mm projected motion picture was demonstrated in New York City in 1895.

Fox Grandeur commercially re-introduced 70mm in 1929.

Horizontal Film

Paramount's VistaVision was introduced in 1954.

Multiple Projectors

Abel Gance's Polyvision (as Claude posted)

Widescreen

CinemaScope from 1953.
RKO's NaturalVision
Ultra-Panavision
MGM Camera 65

However...

None of these is really a precursor to IMAX. Probably the only true precursor to IMAX is MAGNASCOPE, which just 70mm on a huge screen, much like IMAX.

There is a very good article online by film historian Bob Furmanek on the history of wide screen movies located here.

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2013 01:09 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Explore the following Web sites.

http://www.in70mm.com/

http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imax
quote:
During Expo 67 in Montreal, Kroitor's In the Labyrinth and Ferguson's Man and the Polar Regions both used multi-projector, multi-screen systems. Each encountered technical difficulties that led them to found a company, initially called "Multiscreen", with a primary goal of designing and developing a simpler approach. The single-projector/single-camera system they eventually settled upon was designed and built by Shaw, based upon a novel "Rolling Loop" film-transport technology purchased from Australian inventor Ronald Jones[disambiguation needed]. Later,[when?] when it became clear that a single, large-screen image had far more impact than multiple smaller ones, Multiscreen changed its name to IMAX.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-20-2013 10:20 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For history on Widescreen in 35mm, look HERE.

Ilse Deroose
Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2013 04:56 AM      Profile for Ilse Deroose   Email Ilse Deroose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay that helps a lot.
The imax magic carpet system.. existed that also out of those evolutions?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-21-2013 09:58 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Magic Carpet was introduced at Expo 90 in Osaka. I don't think there was any precursor... Imax introduced 3D Dome ("Solido") there as well, there was also a standard 2D Imax and a 3D Imax (Expo 90 was the 20th anniversary of the first appearance of "Imax" (called Multiscreen Corp then)15/70 at Expo 70 in Osaka). Imax wanted to make a major impact there, and the Magic Carpet idea was sold to Sanwa Midori. There's a normal Imax screen in a semi-normal auditorium. There's also a screen below the seating with a glass floor between the seat rows. The system was installed at Parc Fururoscope in France after the Expo. I believe there were only two films made, the expo one and another about butterflies. During filming of the Expo move the only camera rig (and one camera)was severely damaged when a helicopter pilot understimated the clearance to a hilltop. Thus that movie doesn't have much "sync" action where the normal screen matches the lower screen.

Ilse Deroose
Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2013 10:35 AM      Profile for Ilse Deroose   Email Ilse Deroose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see .. so the magic carpet came out of nothing ? Or can we maybe see it as an evolution of multiscreening?

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2013 01:56 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget "Panrama", the French system from 1958. There were only a handful of installations (I worked for a couple of weeks at the theatre in Paris that had one back in 1984). It was using horizontal 35mm/8perf film.
Panrama

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2013 01:57 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave
quote: Dave Macaulay
Parc Fururoscope in France
Reminds me of the install I did in Changchun Movie wonderland . Same layout and attractions.

Rick

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-23-2013 05:58 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Hamilton
Reminds me of the install I did in Changchun Movie wonderland . Same layout and attractions.
It's really amazing they couldn't come up with some kind of original idea for a movie park... Plagiarism isn't something to be proud of.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-23-2013 07:40 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I first saw IMAX, I asked: "Where are the other two screens?" I grew up on Cinerama, approx 30 x 110 ft. Louis

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-23-2013 08:11 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mitchell, Camera 65 and Ultra Panavision are the same process. When MGM used It for RAINTREE COUNTY and BEN-HUR it was billed as Camera 65. when it was used for pictures like THE GREATEST STORY EVERY TOLD and MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY as well as many others, it was credited as Ultra Panavision.

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: