Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » The Hobbit in 15/70mm = 2K? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Hobbit in 15/70mm = 2K?
Antti Nayha
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2012 11:11 AM      Profile for Antti Nayha   Email Antti Nayha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone comment on the image quality of The Hobbit’s 15/70mm prints? I’m just wondering if it’s made from a 2K source.

It has been claimed at the RED forums that they did the DI in native 5K resolution, but I don’t know… Considering that all the DCP’s are 2K anyway, would they actually go through the trouble of rendering all sfx at 4K/5K just to make the 15/70mm prints look sharper? Somehow I doubt that.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2012 11:45 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure there are 15/70mm prints? I thought it was a liemax only release.

Antti Nayha
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2012 11:50 AM      Profile for Antti Nayha   Email Antti Nayha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, at least the BFI IMAX in London is running the 3D version in 15/70mm. You wouldn’t believe the number of complaints on their Facebook page. [Wink]

quote:
The BFI IMAX is playing 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' in true IMAX 15-perf 70mm film format, one of only 3 cinemas in the UK provided with a rare film print to screen it.
http://www.odeon.co.uk/fanatic/film_times/s211/BFI_IMAX/

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2012 11:59 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul Gordon
Are you sure there are 15/70mm prints? I thought it was a liemax only release.
I think the confusion may be concerning the Star Trek extended preview. 15/70 houses like the Rave 18 in Los Angeles did not play the Trek thing because there was no extra space on the platters for any trailers, due to the length of the movie.

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2012 12:38 PM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool anyone know all the 15/70mm locations?

Shawn M. Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2012 03:27 PM      Profile for Shawn M. Martin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the DC area, the Udvar-Hazy Center (Airbus) in Chantilly, VA starts showing it on the 21st, and the Museum of Natural History (Samuel C. Johnson) and the Air and Space Museum (Lockheed Martin) in DC start on the 28th. The Johnson is the only one showing it in 3D, even though I think the Lockheed is also 3D capable.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2012 03:57 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kurt Zupin is running a 15/70 3d print at the Harkins Arizona Mills 25 in Tempe, AZ

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2012 08:06 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
both Smithsonian National Mall museums can present 15/70 '3D' features.

Matthew McBride
Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2012 09:43 AM      Profile for Matthew McBride   Email Matthew McBride   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Indiana State Museum can show 15/70 as well and in 3D.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-16-2012 06:46 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These 15/70mm locations can use larger platter decks if needed for longer 3D presentations.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2012 11:18 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are showing it in 1570 3D here at National Media Museum in Bradford as are the Glasgow Science Centre.
Pacific Science Centre in Seattle definitely has it as well.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-17-2012 04:56 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sydney IMAX has it as well.

Antti Nayha
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2012 04:58 PM      Profile for Antti Nayha   Email Antti Nayha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was hoping you’d post, Dick...

So how does it look? The usual ”upconverted from 2K” look with all the accompanying edge enhancement artifacts and general lack of definition (compared to 4K-sourced prints)?

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-18-2012 06:59 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody know what aspect ratios the RealIMAX and DigIMAX releases have?

Looks like the different releases got some different treatment along the way. I've checked the IMDB technical specs, and this movie is out in three different aspect ratios, but still, this data doesn't seem right:

1.44 : 1 (IMAX 3-D version)
1.85 : 1 (3-D version)
2.35 : 1

I'm 100% certain both the 24 FPS and 3D (24FPS and HFR) are in scope and not 1.85:1.

I guess the 1.85 : 1 version is the DigIMAX release?

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2012 01:49 AM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tech Museum in San Jose, CA. is showing it in 1570 2D on the dome.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: